Really getting irritated... No weight change in weeks...

Options
I told myself I wouldn't do this, but.... well I am...

I've been stuck in the "two-teens" of my weight now for nearly 2 months. I was 219 for a LONG time, joined MFP and within a week lost 5 pounds. I've fluctuated between that weight - 214 - and 216 ever since. It's been another 4 weeks.

I'm doing a combination low-carb, low-calorie diet. I'm avoiding heavy breads, but will occassionally have a tortilla shell or a hamburger bun, but never in excess.

I've done PRETTY well staying in my 1,400 calorie range. Every once in a while I go over when the wife craves a dinner out or family comes to visit, and that's always when I pick up a pound or two. I can always lose it again, but can never seem to drop below 214.

I exercise when I can, which isn't very often. I work two jobs as I'm preparing for our first child to be born. During the day I work a 9-hour stationary desk-job. In the evenings and weekends I work at an auto parts store, staying on my feet the entire time, lifting parts, puting batteries in cars, etc.

When I have a free evening and I DON'T have a ton of work to do at the house, I'll either run on a treadmill or use our rowing machine. I try to lift weights at the office, I try to get up and move around, but sometimes I get swamped and aren't able to...

Anyways, I can't figure out why I can't lose anymore weight. I've tried switching up exercises. I've tried eating more calories, I've tried eating less calories. I've been using GNC weight-loss supplements (Cinnamon, CLA, Fish Oils, Extra B vitamins, etc.) with no real evident changes.

I haven't made my diary public because I don't think it's what I'm eating. I haven't changed my diet much since April and it's gotten me this far. I've just been cutting back on overall portions and things like cheese to drop my calories. Suffice to say it's been a lot of salads, meats, fish, and eggs.

I'm this close to saying "F-it" and eating a big fat juicy McDonalds cheeseburger. I just don't care anymore - it's not worth the disappointment to me on top of everything else that's kicking my a&& on a daily basis.

All I know is I've lost around 35 pounds, I still have 35 pounds to go, and at my current progress, I might get there before I'm dead...

So, with all that information, discuss... Looking for REAL advice here, not just "you can do it."

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I see you're 33, look to be taller than me (5'6), and are male. I can tell you right now that I am eating 1700 calories and losing weight being smaller, female, older and LESS active than you. I am betting you aren't eating enough. How tall are you and what do you weight. Have you calculated your BMR or are you going by the default MFP numbers? (if so that is your problem).
  • phoneman16
    Options
    I found that I had a problem with sodium intake. Not that I was salting everything because I don't touch the salt shaker. After doing some research, we ( my wife and I ) didn't realize how much sodium was used in everything. After making adjustments and banning anything with high sodium content (at least most stuff) the weight has finally started to disappear again. Just sayin'
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I can not see your diary so take this with a pinch of salt (no insult to phoneman) - you should be losing if you are eating less calories than you burn.

So possible causes

1. you are eating back your work out calories and taking MFP burn rates as a guide - they are about 30% over stating burn rates hence eating 30% more than you really burnt

2. you are not weighing and measuring everything - you will be amazed at how bad we are a guess what something weighs.....
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat homemade dinners with fresh meats and vegetables. I don't really even do any frozen stuff except the occasional bag of vegetables. Nothing canned.

I have seen some other sites that suggest I might need more calories. I've been trying to increase slowly, but my biggest fear is I'm still not getting enough exercise.

I have no idea what a macro minimum is...
  • themaskedpixie
    themaskedpixie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yeah i don't hink it is what you are eating but what you are NOT eating. i was stuck upped my caloric intake last week and lost 2.2 lbs! try it.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have seen some other sites that suggest I might need more calories. I've been trying to increase slowly, but my biggest fear is I'm still not getting enough exercise.

You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight just FYI. Exercise will help you look better and more toned when you eventually get to your goal weight. Weight loss is 80% diet. When I first started I was granted 1200 calories. I increased 100-200 calories a week until I hit 1700 - just 1 extra snack per day.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't all that active, you may be better off to calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and then set your calories on MFP at 80% of your TDEE if you want to lose weight.

Like others here, I wonder if you are eating enough.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat homemade dinners with fresh meats and vegetables. I don't really even do any frozen stuff except the occasional bag of vegetables. Nothing canned.

Dude, am 5'3 and weigh 108 lbs and I eat 1700 cals a day plus my exercise calories back. You need to raise your calorie intake. I promise you will not gain weight but eating more.
    I was on 1200 per day for a long time and went no where, then I upped to 1400, then 1500 then 1600 and kept losing. I promise if teeny tiny me lost at 1600, then you will not gain eating that amount

Go to this site and caculate your total daily energy expenditure, and yes, it is going to be much higher than you think it is going to be. After you get that number, subtract 500 from it and that should be how many calories you eat per day.

I mean come on, its worth a try right? Its way better than saying eff it and going to McDonalds.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I agree with some others that maybe for you size, age, and gender you should be eating more. But, I am not certain...I have been stuck for 4 months just like you - traveling back and forth between 129 - 132 (I am 5'2" and 42 yrs old). So, I recently decided I would just jump in head first and calculate my caloric needs under the TDEE principles. Using that calculation my caloric intake for my goal weight is 1748 - 1940 depending upon my level of activity. I use the lower number since I run 3-4 days per week, but am not even close to athletic yet.

So, last week I upped my calorie goal and I will test it for 10 days (because I typically eat lower carb than I am now and I do not want to gain too much if the higer carb is truly bad for my body type). I will get on the scale on october 10th to see if there is any difference. If I do not gain weight, I will continue on this plan for 30 days and weigh again. I just hope this approach gets me off my plateau. You can add me if you want to see my results...maybe you want to test it out for yourself?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    1400 calories for a man your size sounds pretty low. I am a 5 foot tall female weighing 157 and that's about what I eat. The trainer at my gym said to multiply your weight by 10 (this is your maintenance calories) and then subtract 200-300 (weight-loss calories). Avoid all white foods accept cauliflower.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Eat more.

Calculate you TDEE and eat 20% less.

Here's a link to how to do it. It works. I am 5'4" 187 pounds and I'm eating between 1800 - 2000 calories depending of my activity level and am losing without feeling deprived.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was exercising 5 times a week (cardio & weight training) and eating clean foods only. And i promise you, that i did not lose one single pound! BUT, i can see the difference. Maybe ditch the scale and start measuring yourself! I should add no pop (even diet!), no salt ( if you need flavor use plenty of spices/herbs!) , no alcohol ( from personal experience, id even try the 67 cal one and it would take about a WEEK for my stomach to go down etc. really not fun. ) . Do you eat 6 meals a day? if not, you should start. Annnd know that in order to lose weight, its only a small percentage that exercise helps in comparison to what you eat. But i do have to say that at the beginning i wasnt targeting my stomach, and once i started doing all kinds of ab exercises almost every day, the definition came rather quickly. So when you do exercise, make sure your targeting the spots you want to lose.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Try shocking your system:
    b'fast 1 apple
    lunch 1 apple
    mid afternoon snack 1 apple
    dinner 4 oz lean steak (filet or sirloin)

tons of water

I also agree that 1400 is light for your size. Go to a good gym and ask them to do a body comp on you. Check your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and set a cal goal under to lose without exercise. 2000 cal BMR would indicate a 1600 cal daily goal. Any exercise you sneak in-between the 400 other things you have to do will be gravy.

Oh, and congrats on the impending baby!
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How did you get to the 1400 calorie number? Is it based on your BMR/TDEE and then a cut from there? Look, I am a woman and way older than you and only 4'11. Admittedly, I am exercising 6 days a week but still I am eating over1400! You are way younger than me and taller, so I do think that 1400 is way too low!!

I would recommend that you read this and then decide how much you need to eat.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?page=3

Just don't give up!!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat more!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I told myself I wouldn't do this, but.... well I am...

I've been stuck in the "two-teens" of my weight now for nearly 2 months. I was 219 for a LONG time, joined MFP and within a week lost 5 pounds. I've fluctuated between that weight - 214 - and 216 ever since. It's been another 4 weeks.

I'm doing a combination low-carb, low-calorie diet. I'm avoiding heavy breads, but will occassionally have a tortilla shell or a hamburger bun, but never in excess.

I've done PRETTY well staying in my 1,400 calorie range. Every once in a while I go over when the wife craves a dinner out or family comes to visit, and that's always when I pick up a pound or two. I can always lose it again, but can never seem to drop below 214.

I exercise when I can, which isn't very often. I work two jobs as I'm preparing for our first child to be born. During the day I work a 9-hour stationary desk-job. In the evenings and weekends I work at an auto parts store, staying on my feet the entire time, lifting parts, puting batteries in cars, etc.

When I have a free evening and I DON'T have a ton of work to do at the house, I'll either run on a treadmill or use our rowing machine. I try to lift weights at the office, I try to get up and move around, but sometimes I get swamped and aren't able to...

Anyways, I can't figure out why I can't lose anymore weight. I've tried switching up exercises. I've tried eating more calories, I've tried eating less calories. I've been using GNC weight-loss supplements (Cinnamon, CLA, Fish Oils, Extra B vitamins, etc.) with no real evident changes.

I haven't made my diary public because I don't think it's what I'm eating. I haven't changed my diet much since April and it's gotten me this far. I've just been cutting back on overall portions and things like cheese to drop my calories. Suffice to say it's been a lot of salads, meats, fish, and eggs.

I'm this close to saying "F-it" and eating a big fat juicy McDonalds cheeseburger. I just don't care anymore - it's not worth the disappointment to me on top of everything else that's kicking my a&& on a daily basis.

All I know is I've lost around 35 pounds, I still have 35 pounds to go, and at my current progress, I might get there before I'm dead...

So, with all that information, discuss... Looking for REAL advice here, not just "you can do it."

No one can tell you. But I felt this way for 15 years while working my butt off. I did not think I was eating too much, but really it came down to yes I was. So, here is what I learned after 15 years of failure. I'm not a professional, not a coach, not a dietician, and I accomplished my goal finally without out the help of a coach or PT, but with the use of some awesome tools.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Some people will say you need to eat more. Some people will say you need to eat less. Only you can decide or check with your doctor. But what would make the most sense? Eating more or eating less, to lose weight? Hmmm..

Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short it can be hard to have a deficit at 1200 or above so your only option is to check with your doctor. I did and he agreed and had me go down. So I had to tune everyone out around here, as some of us short girls will say, the "eat more" bullies.

Once I got leaner I had to taper UP my calories. The leaner you get the less of a calorie deficit your body can handle. It needs to be a long slow shallow deficit. For me still under a doctor’s care, this is around 1000-1200 calories because I am so short, petite, and am under 12% body fat where I truly can go into starvation mode if I ate under 1000 calories. I have supporting documentation below. Again, you must seek your doctor’s advice. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat, either up or down.

Seek advice from your doctor. Myself or anyone else on here can’t tell you how much to eat, or to go up or down. If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old. My doctor looked at my blood work throughout my journey and it remained fine even with “taking breaks from eating” for periods of time and eating less. Even now at less than 12% body fat everything is A-OKAY. I am healthy, active, and vibrant, muscular not skinny. I have never had eating disorders nor do I now. If you have eating disorders you should not be on a diet unless you are under a doctor’s care and/or get those issues resolved first. I do not advocate unhealthy eating or promote eating disorders.

While there is no one size fits all I listed the things that worked for me here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I found the following quotes helpful for sorting through all the myths plastered all over the place
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1400 calories for a man your size sounds pretty low. I am a 5 foot tall female weighing 157 and that's about what I eat. The trainer at my gym said to multiply your weight by 10 (this is your maintenance calories) and then subtract 200-300 (weight-loss calories). Avoid all white foods accept cauliflower.

I agree that 1400 for the OP is wayyyy too low! However, if I were to follow the advise of your trainer then I would barely get 600 -700cals. Best is to go the TDEE route.
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump....lots of great suggestions here.
  • MerriAlbert
    Options
    Try eating 5-6 smaller meals. This boosts your metabolism constantly.