Leaving for "Girl's Weekend"...need some help!

Options
I'm a little afraid of my upcoming weekend getaway to Duluth with some girlfriends. I really want to stay on program but I worry about eating out, ALCOHOL, and not getting enough exercise. I just called the hotel and they have a workout room with treadmill, bike, eliptical and weights as well as a pool. I also found out they have a fridge so I could bring some healthy choices. HOWEVER, I'm worried about the restaurant choices and booze.

Can you give me some suggestions for healthy food choices and low cal alcohol choices.

Thanks!

Replies

• slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At dinner maybe you could get a drink, alcohol, when everyone else orders and then just drink it VERY slowly along w/ lots of water. I just had a similar experience when friends visited us and we all like to try different beers. I was 'tasting' instead of really drinking this time. We also LOVE to eat and I have problems w/ portion control - I stuck to my portions in spite of the 'peer pressure'. Also, my friend and I went for a very long walk to try to counter balance the food intake. They left on Sunday and now I'm back to the routine. I didn't gain weight, but stopped losing weight during their visit. Try not to be hard on yourself - stick w/ as much as you can, log EVERYTHING, and of course have a great time w/ your friends!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Eating out is hard. Avoid the obvious, deep fried, butter sauce, creamed... Lean protein, if you really want to be good ask them to dry grill it. It's sneaky how many calories can be added during cooking.

Try to add a side of steamed veggies. And if something sounds really good to you, go for it, just eat in moderation. If you want desert split it with the table or a couple of people.

No sure what you drink, but try to go for mixers with lower sugar. I do vodka and soda with lemon. I also drink a glass of water inbetween every drink.

But most important Have Fun! Girls weekends don't happen all the time.
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would try to make the weekend a "wash" where you don't lose, but don't gain either! (After a day or two, you'll probably gain in the short-term from retaining water from the sodium in food and from the alcohol.)

Try to plan some active bonding... walking and especially dancing! Eat what you want, but use portion control.

As for alcohol, drink dry wine or straight alcohol/alcohol mixed with a non-cal/low cal mixer. I really love gin and cal-free tonic, or vodka soda. My favorite is zubrowka vodka with a good splash of 100% apple juice, topped with soda water. Yummy!

ETA: try to be extra good the week before and the week after. It's about long-term, anyway. :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Talk to the girls you are going with now, chances are they probably feel the same. I've found especially with women, that if you start the healthy eating train, everyone else gets on board with you. We have big group dinenrs for work all the time and when I order something healthy first, most of the other girls will too. If I pick something bad, they see it as an excuse to feel bad too. Also when I eat out with girlfriends I always ask if they'd like to share a plate so we don't have leftovers to snack on after. Easier on the wallet too!

Set up at least one time where one of the girls agrees to work out with you. That way you at least get one workout in.

And agree with the other ladies, no mixers at all or calorie-free mixers only.

Have fun though and don't stress too much!