Finally got a job teaching Zumba classes. Advice?

Options
I'm so excited! I went and got my license in August to become a Zumba instructor, and I have been looking all around to get my feet wet. The other day, my gym approached me, and they asked me to be their instructor for Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings! I was so excited when they asked me! hahaha :D

My first class is on Wednesday next week, and I'm a bit nervous. Any advice from fellow instructors would be fabulous!

Also, just went on my Zumba website to add my class times to it, and I realized that I get a promo code as a ZIN member to get discounted prices on Zumba clothes!? I'll be doing some online shopping today! Bahaha... I'll share it with you guys if you want... just message me.

Here's to hoping I don't fall on my face for my first class!

Replies

• softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm far too anxious for responses on this so... -bump-
  • laumanu0507
    laumanu0507 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck and how do you become a Zumba instructor?
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! The main thing is the energy - if you love it, then your class will love it. That being said, I've taught many classes and been to many classes (I love seeing how other people teach). The best classes I've been to are the ones where the instructors are interactive with the class. Don't face the mirror the entire time (yes, they tell you to NEVER face the mirror when you get your license, but sometimes you have to demonstrate the move to your class they way they would do it, then you get "stuck" there). Make eye contact and just have fun with it.

I just had a participant tell me last week that they appreciate the way I cue, and try to focus on which muscles should be used. When they're doing a crunch and moving their arms, which is the most important move to get? If they can't do both, which is it best to focus on?

Every class is different, so it will really depends on your class as to specifics. If we're starting up again after a summer "lull" I'll make sure I pull out my older material and a little slower to get back in to it. If I'm covering the 10 am class, they know their stuff, so I'll pull out things that have more improvising in it, or things that are specific to my class that they usually don't do.

Oh...and practice, practice practice! And if you mess up, it's okay - they're gonna follow you anyway, so just go with it.

And as we get closer to Halloween - you gotta do Thriller! :happy:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I don't teach Zumba, but do teach spin, body pump type classes, step (if there is nobody else in the gym) and boot camp. Number one rule is leave any negativity at home. Group classes are fun and motivating the last thing they need or want is a hum drum instructor.

Go in prepared, and know a few modified moves that can replace the more difficult ones.

Teach to the bulk of the class. If everybody is advanced, kick it up, if they are mostly beginners do the basics moves and just show the advanced stuff. The more advanced students will try the hard/ fancy stuff, but the newbies will follow your lead. If its a mix as most Zumba classes are, stick to your plan and offer options if you see people struggling.

Have fun with it, if you don't they won't. I'm kind of a hard *kitten* in spin & bootcamp, because those folks want to sweat and be challenged. If I teach a "Starter Fit" or "Step" class, I tone it down a bit. Still give them a good workout, but I don't try to kill them, usually.:wink:
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really cool, I'd love to teach zumba one day!

One piece of advice for the long-term, is to mix it up regularly, I went to a zumba class the other day with a teacher whose class I hadn't been to for about 6 months. And lo and behold she was still doing exactly the same songs with exactly the same moves as back then. Needless to say I won't be going back, variety is the spice of life and all that. So just keep it interesting for your participants. And I know zumba isn't so big on the cueing but it is really important, and if there are what might be construed relatively complex moves in a routine take some time to explain it before you put the music on.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be fab!
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm a participant and love zumba. Agree that you need to look like you are loving it. Also know your routines and try and give me the heads up of what is coming next - I hate it when I've missed a couple of reps because the instructor gave no clue what we were doing next. A few whoops and hollers and you'll be fine!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :D
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for all the great input! I already have two routines set up, and plan to start with the more basic songs this week, and feel my class out. I want to add one new song each week, that way people have a chance to get the moves and do them again, but they are still getting some variety in there. Do you think that would be a good method? I'm a little bit nervous to change things up at this gym. It is a gym with most of the clients being midde-aged, and the instructor that used to teach there taught the same routine every week for a year! Hopefully they are welcoming of my new style of teaching, and I refuse to stick to the same songs forever, but we'll see how it goes.

Also, I'm big into the cueing thing! There is nothing more frustrating than doing a Zumba class with someeone that just keeps going, and I have no idea what direction to move in! I like visual cues, and adding in a few short words when I think they would be easier to understand than the visuals.

You can get licensed by going on Zumba.com and searching for trainings in your area. It is a one day class, but it's a full day, and you actually learn quite a bit! Also, they send you home with training DVDs, and if you sign up for the ZIN network, you receive new music monthly, and new choreography every other month.

I am definitely going to try my hardest to keep a smile on my face, and get everyone amped up! A lot of people would call my personality bubbly, positive, and quite frankly hyper. Many might consider that annoying, but I"m hoping to use that to my advantage in my classes! I'm not looking to change the world, but I am looking to keep people interested, and get them spreading the word about how much fun they have at my Zumba classes!

I'm really nervous for my first class, though. I have my routine down, and I'm very confident in that. However, I'm really hoping I don't choke when I get up there! I don't want the students to feel frustrated in the least bit by me having to stop and remember my choreography. Any advice when it comes to first class nerves? First impressions mean a lot in society, and I'm hoping to make one worth remembering!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Show "cues" for what moves are next, or yell REALLY loud.
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Really good idea to make one change each week. People like to get to know the routine but one new track each week will keep it interesting. Sounds like your class will be really good fun - sorry I am not nearer!
    x