big plate of vegetables for dinner?

2»

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    sounds good :D no such thing as too many veggies
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    There's nothing really wrong with it, but make sure you're getting enough fat and protein in your other meals and enough total calories. Maybe also throw in some edamame or something similar for extra protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Would be severely lacking protein for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Sounds great. I assume you're not also eating a big plate of veggies for breakfast and a big plate of veggies for lunch?
    Seriously, it sounds great. Eat something with protein and some fat throughout the day and you should be fine.

Or, add some chickpeas, some edamame or some kidney beans to the plate of vegetables and then you're doing great!

Folks here will comment about the lack of protein. But, oddly, most won't comment when someone says they eat no vegetables through out the day, as long as they "hit their macros".
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I've never in my life heard of anyone overdosing on carrots. You're probably safe.

I agree, you're not likely to overdose on vitamin A from vegetables, beta carotene is converted into vitamin A in the body, and that requires other processes that make it almost impossible to get too much of it. It would be different if you were taking a vitamin A capsule or something, but even if you turned orange from too much beta carotene (which you'd almost have to be trying to do) it wouldn't negatively affect your health necessarily.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    - inability for the body to absorb calcium/iron/other vitamins properly (this is caused by over eating one particular vegetable and not having a variety)

This can happen, particularly with the B vitamins, but again you'd have to be taking large amounts of one singular vitamin to affect the absorption of other ones, and that happens more often with supplementation than when you're getting all your vitamins through diet. Generally food is pretty well-balanced vitamin-wise unless you're really focusing on one food group to the exclusion of all others.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Your veggies with your cream cheese and chicken sound fine.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    I've never in my life heard of anyone overdosing on carrots. You're probably safe.

I agree, you're not likely to overdose on vitamin A from vegetables, beta carotene is converted into vitamin A in the body, and that requires other processes that make it almost impossible to get too much of it. It would be different if you were taking a vitamin A capsule or something, but even if you turned orange from too much beta carotene (which you'd almost have to be trying to do) it wouldn't negatively affect your health necessarily.

My son drank an excessive amount of carrot juice when he was a toddler. He actually had a nice tan-like orange glow from it. Didn't overdose. But he won't touch carrots now that he's a preteen.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    no such thing as too much vegetables. I love them. I could eat my weight in carrots alone and I swear some days I have so many servings of carrots I actually do eat my weight in them haha

The only concern is it you are eating too little eating so many low calorie vegetables which it wouldn't appear you are by adding chicken and cheese!

eat your vegetables. Sounds delicious.