Afraid to work out.

Options
About 10-30 minutes after I work out sometimes, I get nauseous and then throw up. Sometimes I get shaky and anxious and sweat like crazy. I usually try to burn 500-600 calories when I work out so thinking that I was pushing myself too hard, last night I only burned 300 and didn't go too hard. Welp, that didn't work. About 20 minutes after I got home I got sick. I didn't eat too close to my workout, and I didn't workout on an empty stomach either. So I'm not sure what's going on. All i know is that i'm afraid to go to the gym any more in fear that this will keep happening.

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that sucks a lot. I think you should really talk to your doctor. Good luck, and I hope you can find a way to stop this!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that sucks a lot. I think you should really talk to your doctor. Good luck, and I hope you can find a way to stop this!

this. see a doctor.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Perhap you need food to fuel before your workout, or something right after? I get weak, shaky, nausous if I'm too hungry.
    My son's coach always told them not to drink milk before a workout. So maybe you could experiment with different foods to see what works for you.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try some extra carbs about an 1 hour before you workout. That could help. I get a bit nauseous from time to time after I work out.

You don't take any medications to help you lose weight? Or herbal colon cleanse? These could really make you nauseous during, or after your workout.
  • mellieyeg
    Options
    MAYBE YOU NEED TO FUEL YOUR BODY WHILE YOU WORK OUT WITH GATORADE OR SOMETHING.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I get this too, its usually if I haven't ate recent enough to furl myself as I have to eat every two hours or I get faint dizzy and sick. Dfnately go to a doctor but make sure you eat enoough and if your taking any supplements or diet pills they may be contributing.
  • xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    I'm with some of these other people - go see a doctor :)
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OH an make sure you eat carbs and proteins, not just veggies /fruit before. I find my body burns through it too quick. just a thought
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I will try your suggestions. I'm also thinking about seeing a doctor because i've heard of some rare medical problems that may cause this :/
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd try having a completely empty stomach actually. Just eat enough throughout the day before and after this. It made a difference for me. If it doesn't work, agree with the medical check advice.
  • pennyknipprath
    pennyknipprath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you should check your blood pressure at Wal-Mart or your local grocery chain. I have had nausea when my blood pressure was too low and too high. Another culprit could be blood sugar. Your blood sugar could be off causing Diabeties or Hypoglycimia..

Are you dizzy too!

Inner ear issues can cause dizziness and nausea.

Good luck!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    see a doctor.

when i went to the gym, i felt all shaky after a few minutes too. not sure what it was as i ate about an hour before i went. i workout at home for the time being and i don't feel like it anymore. a doctor will be able to tell you what's wrong :) good luck
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

this. see a doctor.

I'll triple it. See a Doctor. While it's probably nothing serious it's definitely not normal.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me when my BP would drop too low during exercise (90/50, I have a cuff at home). It scared me off working out for a while too, but when I started up again a month later it was resolved. Not sure what the cause or solution was. I would see a doctor if it persists.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    could be low blood sugar.. try eating something high in carbs before working out, like a protein bar or a piece of fruit
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    MAYBE YOU NEED TO FUEL YOUR BODY WHILE YOU WORK OUT WITH GATORADE OR SOMETHING.

...why are you shouting at her?
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Hmm best to always be safe and see a doctor...

but what is your calorie intake for the day? If you are very low, pushing yourself that hard may be what is causing you to get ill.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see the doctor cuz that ain't normal. I usually have a really small bowl of cereal before I go to the gym in the morning. Real breakfast comes after. :) I drink lots of water while I work out also.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    does this happen when you get overheated? I know that if patients can have an issue with heat in physical therapy. There are pathologies that make people get sick when they are exposed to heat. So, go see your doctor.
  • burtg
    burtg Posts: 7
    Options
    Sounds like you might have a problem with dehydration