Runners..shame or no shame

Options

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    No shame at all...I just had my first 5K Sunday and I didn't think I was nervous but apparently I was-once it started I was off, I ended up doing a 9 minute first mile (my usual is 13-13.5 minute miles) and even though I've run further than a 5K, I had to walk part of it cause the pain was so bad. So, needless to say, if you do do it, don't push yourself that first mile :laugh:

But I think you should do it-you'll have your first half out of the way and a time to bet for next time.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    No shame in walking! All that matters is you finished! Good luck!
  • sbbc09
    sbbc09 Posts: 22
    Options
    If you felt like you could have gone further on your last long run, you'll likely finish having run the whole thing. You'll do great! My last long run was only 11 miles and race day is Sunday!
  • Angelina3894
    Angelina3894 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Remember, it is not the time or the fact you ran or walked...it's the ACCOMPLISHMENT that matters. Run/walk the marathon and feel great about yourself that you finished...may it be 1st or last. Then start your training again....it is all a learning process, you will get there!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have just gone through massive self loathing as I do the C25k. I was disgusted with my lack of ability to "really run" for the 90 seconds at a time. I was doing a jog that was probably slower than my walking. I absolutely was ashamed of myself.

The only thing I would be more ashamed of would be to not do it.
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    All these replies make me feel better. I have run 3 5K's. First one was 30:01, second was 28:38. The one I did this past weekend was 35 minutes. It was a tough course and I had to stop several times and walk. I was so disappointed in myself, but I realize now it was just a bad day. I was not feeling that great, and probably should not have signed up to begin with. I am going to try the run 10 minutes and walk one. That may just work!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    No shame in walking! All that matters is you finished! Good luck!

this!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. No shame at all in walking, and you can aim to run another one later.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a runner. It's been probably 12 yrs since I ran a half marathon. I'm 76, but I just ran for 93 mins and i ran 95 min. yesterday. I run slow.
    But a half marathon is kind of a killer when you do it for the first time. You should get a 15 mile run out of the way before you try a 1/2 marathon. have you run any 10k's?
    If you've been getting a lot of miles in each week, you could try it. Just run slower than normal and when you have to walk, when you get your wind back then run again. You can keep the run walk thing going till the end or you can take a ride back from the SAG wagons. There isn't any shame in it. The shame is in NOT trying

Basil
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    WhatAngelina3894 said! I'm pretty sure you won't be the only one either...

I had to walk some of the last 5k I did because it was ungodly hot out but I was still proud of myself for finishing! That same event also involved a half marathon and several people told me that there were a lot of walkers in that event.

Do the best that you can and hold your head high!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    How far have you run at one time?

If it's over 9 or 10, you'll finish.

^^I agree with this. The adrenaline and the atmosphere will push you the rest :)
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    There should never be shame in pushing past your limits, pick a race plan and work it. I did my second half Sunday ran 9.5 miles then did walk run intervals for the balance. Finished in 2:52 I don't feel any shame at all.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    It all depends on what you do with your time if you DON'T race. There are very few alternatives that are better than completing a half-marathon at any pace, but it is all relative:

Instead, will you save puppies and disabled orphans from burning buildings? Stay home, this is admirable and worthy.

Or will you sit on your butt watching mind-numbing cartoons? For humanity's sake, go race.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. my best run mileage wise is 9 miles. I run at least 10 miles a week total but generally more like 15-20 miles a week. I just wondered too because I'm still pretty slow. averaging 12-13 min miles.
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon Sunday. ... on a treadmill. My aunt was running the Smuttynose Half in NH and I am in NY. We have trained remotely together for several months. We did one 8 miler in August, and a 10 miler in the beginning of September. I am new to running and NEVER thought I'd find any enjoyment in it. I over 20 miles in the week proceeding the half, and I rested the two days prior. I finished in 2hrs 29min 30sec and I find no shame in that whatsoever. I slowed to a walk when I needed to but I finished and it was one of the proudest moments in my life, the furthest I have ever willingly pushed my body. I run about 2 mins/mi faster on pavement than on the treadmill so I would have finished closer to the 2hr mark had I done it outdoors. I cried during and after and it was the best feeling ever. You don't wanna miss what that sense of accomplishment feels like. You can do this!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The Galloway method. No shame at all in walking!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Other people walk when they have to, why should it bother you? Be proud you are there and you might surprise yourself!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've always only cared about what I thought about my own personal fitness goals...

...but that's just me.

(In other words, you do what you think you need to do for you. The end.)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Do your best, and if you gotta walk, walk.

I recently read a book where characters ran 9 steps and walked 9 steps for 30 miles to try to get to Rome before it burned (a historical fiction). I thought that was pretty nifty thing to work in and thought, if I ever get to the point where I feel like i can't go on, I'll do this.

Put something like that in your head as your back up plan.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    There is no problem walking some if you need to. Try taking a 1 minute walk at each water stop and you will probably be able to run the rest to the end.

^^^ Go for it! I'm impressed and wish I could run one so even if you walk, you have EVERYTHING to be proud of!