exercise eating

Options
Do you eat before or after exercising? Any benefit one way or the other?

Replies

• aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do you eat before or after exercising? Any benefit one way or the other?
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Eating protein and/or whole grain prior to workout has helped me and i do it 30 to 60 minutes prior to workout.

Post workout I try and get protein as quickly as possible usually a protein drink I have listed two in the database by American Body Building. The Pure Pro is low carb (150 calories) and the Blue Thunder has sugar and protein (290 calories).
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    When you eat, relative to a work out, is up to the individual. I eat afterwards but every now and then I'll eat before and, like RKJR, I give it about 30 minutes before the workout. If you're just getting a program started try eating afterward first and adjust accordingly.
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've heard over and over again the best gain out of a cardio workout for fat burn and weight loss is on an empty stomach first thing out of bed. It gets your metabolism going and has a longer burn afterwards. It has worked well for me. I make sure I eat within the hour after my workout. hope this helps!!!
  • aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I'll probably eat a little snack before and then maybe an hour afterwards. I'm usually only thirsty after so eating would be a challenge immediately after.
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    your suppose to eat after a workout because your metabolism is up.
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had to figure this out the hard way... I ate before I worked out the other day and I got a really bad side stitch and it wouldn't go away! It was so frustrating, I had to pause my Turbo Jam every like two minutes because as soon as I would start to push myself and get a little out of breath my side would start to hurt again. Ugh, I will not eat before I work out anymore! :grumble:
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    I get the same thing if i eat before I workout I get a terrible stitch and then the workout is ruined. I usually go for intensive cardio mid morning I have a good breakfast then walk the dogs for and hour have a banana for energy when I get back and about 40mins later use the elliptical quite intensively works well for me oh yes and it is usually nearly lunch time so I have a protein boost withing an hour of working out it seem to be working. lost 18 lb since jan 1st.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    It depends on if I go in the morning or at night. In the morning- I eat afterwards usually, unless I am starving and need energy. And even then it is only a half of a banana. It does the trick for me.
    In the evening I eat before and then have a healthly snack after and a glass of chocolate milk. HH
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually have Peanut Butter on toast:love: (My favorite. warm and gooey) and half a banana. MMMMM.... But atleat 30 mins before!!!