New and needing support!

Options
Hi all,

So here's the deal. I've recently discovered this app, and thought I'd give it a try. I've tried just about everything else, so why not.

After several years of trying different diets and 'lifestyle changes', getting and researching much advice and information, I have arrived at my largest size yet (sucks when you can't afford a gym membership). It utterly depresses me. What's even worse are the friends I have that eat almost anything, exercise very little, and lose weight like there's no tomorrow, or don't gain any. Perhaps both my genetics and my metabolism are holding a grudge against me. Regardless, it's incredibly frusterating. Anybody else feeling like this at the moment?

Replies

• LadyV
    LadyV Posts: 21
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have yo-yo'd for years. Always seems a struggle with my weight. This site has helped me focus. And since August have lost 15 pounds. I would love to be one of your MFT friends and help keep you motivated. I like you have friends that eat almost anything they want, but they don't have the same effects that your friends do. All my friends think that I am nuts to behave the way I do and some do not support what I am trying to accomplish so I really understand about the feeling alone part.

I use this site to help me keep focused on what I do eat, and how much exercise I get. . .when you log it, it's easy to see (or not see if you don't) then you KNOW what is hindering you from reaching your goals.

The people here are great! Good luck, you can do it, and never give up!
  • ish6763
    ish6763 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that only has to smell food to gain weight. I know where your coming from and I have about 80 lbs. to lose. I am hoping that by joining MFP that I will have the courage to reaaly work on this along with friends and support. I do hear where you are coming from.
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ace2009,

I think many people here can empathize with you... I know I can. I have tried numerous times in the past to change to a healthier lifestyle, but I end up finding excuses why it is not as important to stick with the change. I have only been on MFP a few days and I have found it very easy to use and the people are great. There are several threads that incorporate a biggest loser-type challenge so you may want to check those out and join. I believe that we would all agree that it is easier to do this with a group vs. going at it alone.

All the best!
  • lucyhowes
    Options
    Im with you Ace!!!

Im am fed up with being the fat friend and am determined to do it this year I have done literally EVERY diet out there and sadly have realised that exercise and eating the right stuff is the only way.

With this site you get support and advice I have onlybeen on here since december but am addicted.

Good luck keep us posted :) x x
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome, this is a great site to help you out! Have you checked around to different gyms? I found a gym that I only pay 25 dollars a month (which I gave up one dinner out for). You may be able to find one in your price range!
  • coloradomt
    Options
    This is my first day at the site and for yet another diet. I empathize with the yo-yo, "I've tried everything" syndrome. I am hoping against hope that perhaps this is my LAST attempt at adopting a permanent healthy lifestyle. Part of it is vanity, I must admit, but I also want to be healthy. I used to go to the gym and see a little 90-yo man running on the treadmil -- THAT's the kind of "old person" I want to be! :smile:

I am new to the site, but I hope to be able to find a group to share with so that it doesn't feel like I'm in this all alone. I work at home and type for a living, so not only am I on my tushy all day, I do not have much outside contact, so this might help in a couple of ways, to realize I am not in this alone.

Good luck to you, Ace, and everyone else!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My advice is to take one day at a time and never give up. This site is a great way to visually see what your goals are and to stay focused on those goals. I'm new to this site, but I'm very pleased with it. Keep in mind that it isn't about how much you weigh, it's about being healthy. The only way to get healthy is to eat healthy foods, eat in moderation (portion control), and exercise. If you can't afford a gym membership, get outside and walk at least 30 minutes a day or 10,000 steps per day. It's wise to invest in a pedeometer so you can track your steps. Also, there are tons of online exercise videos that you can watch and exercise to for FREE! A great site is RealAge.com. It offers free exercise videos and a lot of healthy recipes. No excuses. Eat healthy, get active, and get fit! We can do it.
  • nilayonline
    Options
    Wow - I totally agree with that feeling !! I do get so frustrated with the fact that anything I eat seems to add to my bulge and other folks around me can eat twice that and remain as lanky as ever !!

The only really successful weight-loss attempt I had was way back about 4-5 years ago - when I lost about 30 pounds. It stayed that way for a few months, before I let it creep up again ("hell, that one pizza ain't gonna bring back all the 30 pounds" :wink: )

Now, it's back to what it used to be when I got married - about 216 pounds. I have yo-yo'ed in the last 3 years with successes like losing 10 to 15 pounds, but back again in no-time.

This time around, am looking to really keep it off.

BTW, some really great, supportive and helpful responses on this message trail.

Br

- n
  • ldmama71730
    Options
    I think we all have had that feeling. Luckily for me we are doing a biggest loser competition at work so it is really easy having the people around me on a daily basis doing the same thing. I am not a gym person at all. I tend to use work out videos. Also sports is a good form of exercise. Just find something physical that you enjoy and it makes it that much easier. Good luck to you!
  • ace2009
    ace2009 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone! Nice to know on a bad day I have folks that can empathize. I did find a gym here that's really cheap, and today went well. Hope tomorrow is the same!