Good vs Bad Foods

Jennwith2ns
Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Even when you stay within your calorie limit, do you still find that WHAT you eat makes a difference in how much or how quickly you lose weight?

I'm trying to eat as much whole grains, fruits and vegetables as I can. But tonight my husband wants a french bread pizza.. it's 360 for one, so I thought we could each have one. Do you think it will seriously halt our weight loss if we have something like this once a week?

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I don't think once a week having one "bad" meal will hurt. I would just make sure and get all your water in! Lots of people have a cheat day or meal, and actually I've heard things that it can actually be good for your metabolism to change it up a bit, since it gets into a routine.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Up until I was diagnosed with a food allergy, I had pizza with my family every Friday (we do pizza and movie night, in front of the TV). I noticed that I'd have a slight gain over the weekend, but I attributed that to sodium levels and water weight. By Monday, I'd be back to what I weighed on Friday morning. I didn't notice it hampering my losses at the time. Some people swear by cheat days or cheat meals, so I'd go for it.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    I like cycling my calories around. Sometimes they're 500-800 higher on a weekend, sometimes no. Sometimes they go 500-800 lower in a day if I fast during breakfast and lunch...it balances out over time and weight loss continues.
  • I say MODERATION!! I don't think it will halt your losses. If you have the cals for it and you aren't eating a whole pizza I don't see a problem with it. I normally am very choosy about what kinds of food I eat but like this weekend I had 3 slices of pizza and a small piece of fudge. That was the first time in over 2 weeks I had eaten anything of the sort and this week I lost 2.2 lbs. Once a week having something considered 'bad' is not a huge deal to me. I figure I have to spend the rest of my life eating healthfully and I have to make these decisions on a daily basis.. I do notice tho eating something like a french bread pizza which is 360 cals I could have something twice as filling with the same amount of calories. I still like to feel satisfied when I eat even if it isn't crap food.. so I would rather have a huge egg white omlette filled with veggies and turkey sausage than one piece of french bread pizza.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! It had been 11 days since I had anything non-healthy, so it was nice to have a little something. I made sure to drink tons of water, fruits/veggies the rest of the day and have a workout tonight. Plus it ended up within my calorie range. Definitely not more than once a week though, I would feel yucky. I do feel that bad-food-tummy feeling even though it tasted good.
This discussion has been closed.