protein

Options
i cant seem to stay under my protein levels. Is it ok to go over? my daily goal is 46.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That is much less protein than me. I try to get at least 75 grams, but my goal is 90 grams per day. If you are in a calorie deficit, then the main thing is to get *enough* protein. Don't worry about getting too much. It is difficult to do when you are limiting your food intake to be less than the calories you burn each day.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i do think 46 is not alot especially when its only 2pm and im -8 in my protein levels but still have like 530 calories remaining
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The default setting on MFP is a minimum, not a maximum. To change your macro settings go to the "My Home" tab, then "Goals" and choose set manually.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    @bokodasu - thank you. i went and upped my protein level to about what i eat in a day. now is 1200 cal/day good for me im 5'4 140 and my goal weight is 115(ill be good with 120). its all in my butt and thighs my stomach is ok but the thighs and butt is a no go! i run stairs like yesterday i ran a set of 122 stairs 3 times. i did 30 jumping jacks, about 40 crunches and, 20 leg lifts and 30-40 arm curls(10 of 3 0r 4 different kinds) with 2, 15lb weights......is this a good way to workout. i want to focus on my arms, legs, and butt. i will be walking the stairs again tonight and doing the arm curls........thoughts???
  • Julettashane
    Options
    @bokodasu - thank you. i went and upped my protein level to about what i eat in a day. now is 1200 cal/day good for me im 5'4 140 and my goal weight is 115(ill be good with 120). its all in my butt and thighs my stomach is ok but the thighs and butt is a no go! i run stairs like yesterday i ran a set of 122 stairs 3 times. i did 30 jumping jacks, about 40 crunches and, 20 leg lifts and 30-40 arm curls(10 of 3 0r 4 different kinds) with 2, 15lb weights......is this a good way to workout. i want to focus on my arms, legs, and butt. i will be walking the stairs again tonight and doing the arm curls........thoughts???

i hope this is not overwhelming.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat well over 100 grams a day! Can't build muscle if you don't eat protein.

I am currently 140 pounds and workout 6 times a weeks (lifting weights and moderate cardio). I usually eat ~ 1700 calories a day.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I don't really know for sure (because every body is different) but I am 5'3" and weigh 132 and my daily caloric intake is supposed to be 1748 - 1950 per day (factoring in that I run 4 days a week)...maybe you are not eating enough for healthy sustained weight loss? I base my caloric intake on the TDEE method, not the MFP method, and do not eat back exercise calories.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    i would have a hard time getting to 1700 calories......i sometimes have a hard time eating 1200...im a bank teller so i sit all day having my cal set at 1200 is a good thing for me lol
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    MFP default protein is way low. Consider it an absolute minimum rather than a limit. I regularly eat over 150g protein a day.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    what is the TDEE method i need to try that
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a protein goal not a limit
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I eat around 150g of protein a day, because I eat lower carb for insulin resistance reasons.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

My recommendation is to visit the website below and run your numbers to determine how many calories you need. Then, go in to "Goals" and manually adjust your daily calorie intake to that number, and macros (carb, protein, fat) intake percentages to be 40-30-30.

Good luck!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options

i hope this is not overwhelming.

I agree with everyone, use the protein as a minimum not maximum. You can't spot-reduce fat from any regions, but I would suggest doing total-body exercises that will build muscle everywhere in your body because it will help the weight come off faster. You'll get more response if you make a new topic on this or use the "search" function to get more info.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    ps love your profile pic :)
  • jrs1008
    jrs1008 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To work on my legs, my trainer has me do lunges (3 sets of 10 steps with two 20lb dumbells), and also he has me do a lot of squats (one legged with my toe pointed forward holding on to a rope type thingy - 3 sets of 12 of those). I have noticed that my 'butt' has almost completely disappeared except for muscle and my calves are really toned and my thighs are almost fat free! Good luck to you - and I hope this helps a little bit!:flowerforyou:
  • Julettashane
    Options
    @kristiranee- thank you!! for the info and compliment
  • Julettashane
    Options
    @jrs1008
    To work on my legs, my trainer has me do lunges (3 sets of 10 steps with two 20lb dumbells), and also he has me do a lot of squats (one legged with my toe pointed forward holding on to a rope type thingy - 3 sets of 12 of those). I have noticed that my 'butt' has almost completely disappeared except for muscle and my calves are really toned and my thighs are almost fat free! Good luck to you - and I hope this helps a little bit!:flowerforyou:

i have a hard time with squats will my knees build up to it as i go?
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You cannot eat too much protein and it be a bad thing.. your body can process 30grams of protein per hour.. the rest is deposited out.. Just eat and not worry about protein numbers..
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I aim to go over on protein lol I always feel like the more I go over the better. Maybe adjust MFP settings to a higher percentage of protein and lower percentage of carbs? (Or Fat, your choice but 55 percent carbs seems high)
  • Julettashane
    Options
    ya i wasnt sure where to set everything im still tryin to figure that out