Dreading the bird..thanksgiving is approaching!!

Options
I want to behave this ThanksGiving, It's not the turkey, I can cook all day but then not want to eat any of it... I tend to choose not to eat then to take the time and eat the right foods.
If I were to choose the best portions and the "right" portions what shoud I eat ?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    On Thanksgiving? I would say to fill your plate once instead of twice and enjoy your time with family/friends.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't care much for turkey, it's all the pies, cookies, and other things my mom bakes....oh, and I also start craving egg nog about that time of year too....Borden egg nog.....*drool*
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat the turkey and the vegetables. Skip the gravy, dressing, drinks and desserts.

Or plan to be over that day and eat everything, but just a little bit of everything, not a whole overflowing plate plus seconds.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I might skip the turkey and concentrate on the really good stuff, potatoes and gravy, desserts!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    Really? You don't eat Thanksgiving turkey because you don't want ot take the time to eat the "right" foods. There is no righter food than Thanksgiving.. :laugh:

Your thinking is pretty distorted.

Perfection and black-or-white thinking will cause you all kinds of pain. There are going to be meals in life where you just have to make some guesses.

So stick with the vegetables and the turkey (no better meat than turkey breast). Don't eat a lot of stuffing, or gravy, or dessert. But I really think you should spend this day enjoying your people and not worrying too much about hte food.
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    I plan on eating as I normally would on Thanksgiving, having a bit of everything. Maybe I won't have seconds, but I'll be damned if I miss out on a once-a-year occasion because of a "diet." One day won't kill all the progress I've made thus far.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating as I normally would on Thanksgiving, having a bit of everything. Maybe I won't have seconds, but I'll be damned if I miss out on a once-a-year occasion because of a "diet." One day won't kill all the progress I've made thus far.

To me, this is the key. You must still celebrate, it is essential. Moderation as best as possible, then be really careful till the Christmas Feast.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Mm I can't wait to indulge in family time with a delicious dinner!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    everything is fair game on thanksgiving, just in the right portions.

roasted turkey breast, skin removed . . . don't see anything wrong there
    home made cranberry sauce
    I prefer mashed sweet potatoes . . . this is the one thing I don't skimp on in preparation (cream, butter, salt peppter)
    i do a sweet and sour brussels sprouts
    I do a roasted squash dish
    stuffing from scratch

I don't see anything wrong with this menu . . . protein, carbs, veg
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I can't think about Thanksgiving yet. I am trying to get past all the Halloween candy!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It comes once a year. Eat Turkey, eat lots of veg, have a tiny bit of whatever starch you love and then move on. Have a bit of dessert and then move on.

Protein is great for you. If you want to swap potato for squash that is a good swap. OR.. you can just eat and then back on track the next day. Forgive and forget. Move on!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am going to destroy some food on Thanksgiving. It is gonna be ugly and I am going to love every bite.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Indulge yourself a little, I know I will this weekend. Mmmmmmmm turkey, sweet potato,brussels sprouts,stuffing,a smallish piece of pumpkin pie.......

One meal is not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things and it is a time to enjoy the company of friends and family. Trying to be too good is more likely to make you feel deprived and, potentially, hinder your long term success.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I always have a little bit of what I like instead of half the plate being mashed potatos I take a much smaller portion. I do not eat dressing or sweet potatos because I do not like them. I also have a small piece of pie. Its Thanksgiving I do not need to eat like its my last meal but I do not pick and choose its a celebration and you do not eat like that everyday. My father who is a type 1 diabetic even enjoys himself he just makes sure he has much smaller portions than what some people may eat and it doesn't make his blood sugar go crazy.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My plan: a nice long workout and eating every calorie allowed on my usual meal schedule (or as close to it as I can coordinate with family).
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving, Christma, Easter, St.Patrick's Day... a holiday is not an excuse to binge. Most people say the most important thing about any holiday is spending it with their friends and family. Do you need to make as much dessert? Is it important to you to set the stage for everyone to overeat and feel like crap, physically and emotionally the next day? If you are hosting, you set the tone, nothing wrong with it reflecting the new, healthier you.
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE Holiday!!! Portion not pigging out is key! My family is a small family and we have like 10 pies!! Just watched what you are eating, there is nothing wrong at all with a spoonful of the yummy foods! Do something different, what about taking a walk before you eat or after you eat?

My mom always made us have "no thank you helpings" as kids, when we didn't want to eat veggies or whatever, and I'll have a "no thank you helping" of yummy stuffing or mash potatoes with gravy, but only a a spoonful - not two or three!! Enjoy the holidays!!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

Exactly.

And I'll go one further: I'm not going to miss out on anything my mother bakes for dessert that day, either. I won't always have my mother here in this life. I'm not going to look back and say I didn't eat something that no one makes better than her one day out of the year because I couldn't bear to log a day where I went over on my sugar, or something! I'm not saying I'm going to stuff myself, but I'm not going to abstain. I'll make a balanced plate (and forego the seconds, as others have mentioned) and I'll enjoy something Mum bakes. That's it. The next day, I'll be right back to my usual plan.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my most favoritest holiday of the year. There's no way in h3ll I'm going to not eat everything I love on that day because of a lifestyle change. It's 1 day...it won't derail you one bit!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the hubs and I will probably do the same thing we did last year. Prep everything the night before, wake up in the morning, put the bird in the oven, go do a turkey trot 10K, come home and stuff our faces.

Go find a race for a good cause and stop fretting about the calorie count.