What are YOUR #1 cheap, healthy foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Good answers so far. Chicken should also be high on your list... usually you can find bulk breasts on sale (sometimes fresh and sometimes frozen). Also, there are usually a type or two of fish on sale if you eat fish.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Chicken tacos
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I get my bananas free... :) and I only buy what's on sale. I can live on the same fare for days and still like the taste! lol!!! buy what's on sale and drink lots of water!!!
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    Frozen vegetables. That way they don't go bad if I don't use them in a couple days. Saves money that way. I buy the asparagus stir- fry vegetables, steam them and I throw in some chicken. Very good. Lots of the stir fry blends offer big variety in vegetables. LOTS of food, little price. I believe they run about 2-3dollars a bag.
  • Catryan73
    Catryan73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dried beans. Super cheap. Soak them overnight. Rinse and throw them in the slow cooker with fresh water or broth/spices/veggies/whatever in the morning before you leave the house. They taste a thousand times better than canned and you can use them in many recipes for a good source of protein and fiber.
  • livaneah
    livaneah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bountiful Baskets is a co-op I occasionally use to buy my fruits and vegitables more cost effectively than at the store. They are a national organization with local groups that do the ordering. On the Ideal Protein protocal I am eating 4 cups of vegis a day, so this was a real cost saver - bountifulbaskets.org
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut the food budget a bit but still eat healthy foods. I made a list of healthy foods that are also cheap, but I am looking for more suggestions. I think it would also help to remind people that it really doesn't always cost more to eat healthy. Yes, it costs more for some things in different places, for example rice. I pay 7 dollars a box for brown rice, which from what I have read is a lot more than other people pay, but it will last me 2-3 weeks of eating it probably daily. So yea, it may seem like it costs a lot but if you think about how much it is per serving, it's probably only a few cents.

So here is my list:

Bananas
    Apples
    Carrots
    Rice
    Beans
    hamburger
    Frozen veggies
    Peanut butter
    Oats
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Potatoes

Unfortunately, most veggies here are too expensive (except frozen) so carrots are really the only ones that are affordable when you are watching your budget.

Oats, Eggs, bananas and quinoa were my main staples on this tight budget week.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I saw a blog once that would work if you have a group of friends; go to the Farmers Market and buy bulk amounts of vegetables and then divide the produce evenly. Works out much cheaper for everyone that way, plus you'll be getting fresher food and supporting local farmers!