Drinking and dieting

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
So, I still like to go out to the bars and have fun with my friends, which, yes, includes drinking a sufficient amount. I know that those nights TOTALLY undo everything that I have done during the week, like, eating right, and exercise. Does anyone else have this problem? Or any suggestions to where I can still go out and party with my friends, but not ruin my entire week of "goodness"?
Thanks!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    So, I still like to go out to the bars and have fun with my friends, which, yes, includes drinking a sufficient amount. I know that those nights TOTALLY undo everything that I have done during the week, like, eating right, and exercise. Does anyone else have this problem? Or any suggestions to where I can still go out and party with my friends, but not ruin my entire week of "goodness"?
    Thanks!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    LOL! drinking a sufficient amount. Classic!

Well, I sometimes do a little partaking in the spirits.

My only rule is, find stuff that you can enjoy with less calories
    and try to do it as infrequently as you can without really
    killing your social life. I mean, what are we doing this all for if it
    isn't to help us enjoy life for right?

Personally, I either drink Michelob ultra's or Gin and Tonics. Both
    are pretty low on calories. I hear tell that vodka and soda is pretty
    low too (my wife is a calorie counter too, and she does orange stoli and club soda
    or cranberry stoli and club soda with a splash of lime.)

FYI, club soda is 0 calories, where tonic water is about 80 or so, but I just can't stand
    the taste of club soda. I may convert and take my medicine though as it really is a big
    difference.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Pomegranate martini's are pretty low too - 70 cals for 3 oz I think.

Other times I'll add a class of water in between drinks.
  • stizzef
    stizzef Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with the gin and soda thing - it's probably the lowest calorie alcoholic drink you can have -around 60 cals for a single. Wine is good also, i think a 3 oz glass of white is only around 70-80 cals. And it can go straight to your head!

:tongue:

PS i know how you feel, whenever i'm out with my friends and everyone's drinking, i find it next to impossible not to join in. Just do a little extra excercise on the days you know you'll be going out partying - that will help.
  • lizburnsyb
    Options
    It's soooo hard, right? I just account for my drinks in my day's calories--which may mean I hit the gym during lunch to remind myself to pay forward. I'd die without Happy Hour from time to time! Like tonight! Oh and I drink Vodka soda with lime, or white wine.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Drinking more than two alcoholic beverages in one day releases an enzyme that prevents the break down of fat for 48 hours.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, so I have really tried to restrict my nights out to 1 night a week and idealy once every two weeks.

I also try to get in an extra long workout the day I'm going out to counteract the calories, but alchol also effects your body's ability to use fat as a source of fuel.

Take a look at the exerpt below from an article I just read.

What most people don’t realize is that drinking too much has a far more damaging effect than you can predict simply by looking at the number of alcohol calories in a drink. Not only does alcohol reduce the number of fat calories you burn; it can also increase your appetite and lower your testosterone levels for up to 24 hours after you finish drinking.
    The infamous "beer belly"

According to conventional wisdom, the infamous "beer belly" is caused by excess alcohol calories being stored as fat. Yet, less than five percent of the alcohol calories you drink are turned into fat. Rather, the main effect of alcohol is to reduce the amount of fat your body burns for energy.

Recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that fat metabolism can be reduced by as much as 73% after only two drinks of vodka and lemonade in a one hour time period. What this tells us is that the primary effect of alcohol on the body is not so much how much of it gets stored as fat, but how it shuts down the body’s ability to access your fat stores for energy.

Alcohol in the body is converted into a substance called acetate. In the previous mentioned study blood levels of acetate were 2.5 times higher than normal after only two drinks. And it appears that this sharp rise in blood acetate puts the brakes on fat burning.

Unlike a car that uses primarily one source of fuel, the body is able to draw from a number of different sources (carbohydrates, fats and proteins). To a certain extent, the source of fuel your body uses is dictated by its availability. Consequently, when your blood acetate levels rise, your body simply uses more acetate instead of fat.

Summary of alcohol metabolism after only two drinks
    oA small portion of the alcohol is converted into fat.
    oYour liver then converts most of the alcohol into acetate.
    oThe acetate is then released into your bloodstream, and replaces fat as a source of fuel.Alcohol increases appetite

The combination of alcohol and a high-calorie meal is especially fattening, mainly because alcohol acts as a potent appetizer. A Canadian study shows that an aperitif (an alcoholic drink taken before a meal to increase the appetite) increased calorie intake to a greater extent than a carbohydrate-based drink.

In fact, the more you drink the more you tend to eat. And unfortunately, having just two drinks in an hour will leave your liver struggling to convert the alcohol into acetate, which means that other foods are more easily converted into fat.

Alcohol affects testosterone levels
    Not only does alcohol put the brakes on fat burning, it's also one of the most effective ways to slash your testosterone levels. Just a single bout of heavy drinking raises levels of the muscle-wasting hormone cortisol and increases the breakdown of testosterone for up to 24 hours. The damaging effects of alcohol on testosterone are made even worse when you exercise before drinking.

Nutrient deficiency
    As previously mentioned, too much alcohol prevent fat burning and reduce your testosterone levels, but it also can affect the body’s ability to break down proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Too much alcohol in the blood can lead to a deficiency in Vitamins B1, B2 & B3, as well as magnesium and zinc. These nutrient deficiencies can eventually cause weakening of the heart muscles, poor skin, arthritis and prostate gland disorder.

The bottom line
    While an occasional drink or two every now and then is not going to affect the body negatively, excessive drinking will not only put the brakes on your fat loss efforts, it will also prevent you from building muscle tissue. The bottom line is that alcohol and a leaner, stronger body just doesn’t mix.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Thanks for the detail. I went through a 2 hour weight loss class with a doctor 4 years ago and they talked about this
  • jlruhlman
    jlruhlman Posts: 15
    Options
    Bacardi and Soda or Bacardi and Diet :o) o calories!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wouldnt give it up for anything
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I think it is all about moderation.
    Try to think of a drink more as FOOD then as a drink.
    One drink equals one serving OF FOOD!
    And there is nothing saying that you have to CHUG that one drink.
    When I go out, and as the picture indicates I get to go out with the sailing croud ALOT!
    and TRUST ME Sailing, and for some reason RUM, seem to go hand in hand.
    NOT AT THE SAME TIME MIND YOU.
    But I have YET to do a sail without Rum or Wine or BOTH following up a day of sailing.
    Even going out in the winter to TALK about sailing includes drinks.
    I still have a drink and sometimes two but I ALWAYS get a glass of ice water as well. One sip of drink, 2 sips of water. One sip of drink, 2 sips of water.
    I save myself the calories and the hangover AND the money.
    Not that it will work for everyone, but it does for me. Like with ALL THINGS DIET...
    "ALL THINGS IN MODERATION!"
    --Diann...
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    There's only 65 calories in a shot of alcohol -- that's not the same for liquers -- and you can have about four shots for the amount of calories in a hershey's medium sized candy bar. If you want to get to a "satisfactory level" just try drinking Sapphire Gin Martini's with a twist of lime. Gin and Diet Tonic is only equal to the calories of the gin.

It's really the mix you put in a hard drink and, my nemesis, beer :grumble: that can cause problems because a beer is, on average, 102 calories for 8 ounces -- who drinks only 8 ounces when they come in 12 ounce cans? :happy:

You can drink sensibly like you eat sensibly and still stay close to your boundaries and still have your good times out.
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    I have the same issue, so I have really tried to restrict my nights out to 1 night a week and idealy once every two weeks.

I also try to get in an extra long workout the day I'm going out to counteract the calories, but alchol also effects your body's ability to use fat as a source of fuel.

Take a look at the exerpt below from an article I just read.

What most people don’t realize is that drinking too much has a far more damaging effect than you can predict simply by looking at the number of alcohol calories in a drink. Not only does alcohol reduce the number of fat calories you burn; it can also increase your appetite and lower your testosterone levels for up to 24 hours after you finish drinking.
    The infamous "beer belly"

According to conventional wisdom, the infamous "beer belly" is caused by excess alcohol calories being stored as fat. Yet, less than five percent of the alcohol calories you drink are turned into fat. Rather, the main effect of alcohol is to reduce the amount of fat your body burns for energy.

Recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that fat metabolism can be reduced by as much as 73% after only two drinks of vodka and lemonade in a one hour time period. What this tells us is that the primary effect of alcohol on the body is not so much how much of it gets stored as fat, but how it shuts down the body’s ability to access your fat stores for energy.

Alcohol in the body is converted into a substance called acetate. In the previous mentioned study blood levels of acetate were 2.5 times higher than normal after only two drinks. And it appears that this sharp rise in blood acetate puts the brakes on fat burning.

Unlike a car that uses primarily one source of fuel, the body is able to draw from a number of different sources (carbohydrates, fats and proteins). To a certain extent, the source of fuel your body uses is dictated by its availability. Consequently, when your blood acetate levels rise, your body simply uses more acetate instead of fat.

oThe acetate is then released into your bloodstream, and replaces fat as a source of fuel.Alcohol increases appetite

The combination of alcohol and a high-calorie meal is especially fattening, mainly because alcohol acts as a potent appetizer. A Canadian study shows that an aperitif (an alcoholic drink taken before a meal to increase the appetite) increased calorie intake to a greater extent than a carbohydrate-based drink.

In fact, the more you drink the more you tend to eat. And unfortunately, having just two drinks in an hour will leave your liver struggling to convert the alcohol into acetate, which means that other foods are more easily converted into fat.

Not only does alcohol put the brakes on fat burning, it's also one of the most effective ways to slash your testosterone levels. Just a single bout of heavy drinking raises levels of the muscle-wasting hormone cortisol and increases the breakdown of testosterone for up to 24 hours. The damaging effects of alcohol on testosterone are made even worse when you exercise before drinking.

Nutrient deficiency
    As previously mentioned, too much alcohol prevent fat burning and reduce your testosterone levels, but it also can affect the body’s ability to break down proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Too much alcohol in the blood can lead to a deficiency in Vitamins B1, B2 & B3, as well as magnesium and zinc. These nutrient deficiencies can eventually cause weakening of the heart muscles, poor skin, arthritis and prostate gland disorder.

The bottom line
    While an occasional drink or two every now and then is not going to affect the body negatively, excessive drinking will not only put the brakes on your fat loss efforts, it will also prevent you from building muscle tissue. The bottom line is that alcohol and a leaner, stronger body just doesn’t mix.

This is a great article but I would like to know the source. Can you please post the link?
    THANKS!!
    :drinker:
  • jessneill
    Options

This is a great article but I would like to know the source. Can you please post the link?
    THANKS!!
    :drinker:

Here you go!

http://www.delmillers.com/Alcohol.htm
  • jessneill
    Options
    Here's another good article.

http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Bacardi and Soda or Bacardi and Diet :o) o calories!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wouldnt give it up for anything

Your mixer may have zero calories, but the Bicardi is about 90 cals!:noway:
  • runnergirl34
    Options
    Just remember that if you drink alcohol while having dinner that your body burns the calories from the alcohol first and stores the calories from the food as unwanted body fat. This is just FYI for anyone trying to lose weight!
  • Nik_149
    Nik_149 Posts: 5
    Options
    Depending on whether you're from the USA or Canada...

You can get pretty drunk and have a good time with only one drink if you smoke a little dope before you go out ;) :P

I hear that's way harded to do though in the USA... pretty common for us Canadians though.

Just make sure you're dancing though so you don't give in to the "munchies"...
  • stizzef
    stizzef Posts: 39
    Options
    The other problem i have too with going out drinking is that by the end of the night, all willpower is completely gone and grabbing a piece (or two) of pizza on the way home seems like the best idea i've ever had. I have yet to figure out a way to trick a drunk mind into eating veggies instead!
  • djenkins30
    Options
    I would also like to know the source of the quote. I'm a little skeptical of some of the idea presented here or maybe I'm just unique?

What most people don’t realize is that drinking too much has a far more damaging effect than you can predict simply by looking at the number of alcohol calories in a drink.

That's a given.
    According to conventional wisdom, the infamous "beer belly" is caused by excess alcohol calories being stored as fat.

Another given.

I would tend to disagree. Whether I'm drinking beer or liqueur, alcohol tends to lessen my appetite. There is the occasional binge where it's someones birthday and you drink too much and then might get dizzy and have a voracious appetite. Unless I've had too much I've never had the problem. I'm a regular drinker probably 3-4 days a week, 1-6 beers or 3 - 7 shots, sometimes mixed.

I tend to disagree, I usually drink less or nothing if Im going out for a nice meal. I'm going out to share a nice dinner with my fiance, I might have 1 or 2 if any. Depends on where we eat.

I tend to disagree, I actually eat a lot less if I have more than 1 or 2 drinks, as long as I don't have 3 or 5 and long islands and get trashed, lol.

I'm unsure of this. I tend to be more hormonal when I have been drinking. Libido, emotions etc for me are usually increased quite a bit.
    Nutrient deficiency

I can believe this but I also believe from personal experience that you would need to drink a lot more than the average person, ie. alcoholic, than what they are representing.

The bottom line

Define excess drinking. Two drinks a day is not excessive and they make it seem like you are going to gain pounds upon pounds. Yes, drinking is bad for your liver, bad for your digestion, bad for fat burning. I still think they need to do some more studies and be a little more unbiased in their reports.

I attribute most of my weight gain to being 30, having a sedentary lifestyle and being on the road a lot for the past couple years. I've gained 45lbs in the last two years and probably drink less. I also eat more fast food because I am on the road and living out of a hotel room and not getting as much exercise as I should.

My thoughts on the bottom line. Eat and drink in moderation. Pay attention to what you put in your body and try to get some exercise and you won't have a problem with gaining weight. I failed at this and now paid the price. It's a lot harder to fix it, than it is to maintain it. =)

Peace and Love.

-Darrell
  • djenkins30
    Options
    On a side note:

I lost 15 lbs w/o changing my drinking habits at all. I tend to drink Tequila, Vodka, Bacardi Superior mostly, Steel Reserve and Guiness Draught.

All I did was quit eating fast food, drinking beverages with excess sugar and get a little exercise.

I just fell back into old habits which are hard to break and gained it right back.

I truly believe all you need to do is stay focused and change your habits.

Easier said than done.