fitbit to get one or not to get one? That is the question

Options
2»

Replies

• InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit last November and absolutely LOVE IT!!! I feel naked not wearing it everyday actually. I've not been disappointed with its capabilities other than the fact that I am not able to convert my steps to crutched steps which translates to a 2x more calorie burn. (Lol!!!) There is no subscription necessary and I loved having the ability to see what I did on a 9 day vacation in Paris without having to log on everyday. I was able to track my miles and steps and it synced 9 days perfectly upon return. I am so used to wearing it that I forgot to place it in the bin for x-ray at the airport and the Parisian TSA was not happy with me at all during the patdown...not at all! Oh well. I am happy to add that an MRI machine does not jazz it up either. I've seen posts where they've gone through the wash, fell in the toilet, the dog got them...some survived and some had to be put to rest. I realized I was wearing it during the MRI and was so angry with myself and was thinking how to scam my daughters but to my disbelief it came through with flying colors!
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET IT.....JUST ANOTHER WEIGHT LOSS FOR PROFIT INSTRUMENT. DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW MANY STEPS YOU TAKE IN A DAY AS FAR AS BURNING CALORIES. IF YOU ARE EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISING THE GENERAL CALORIC LOST FOR EXERCISING IS ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN A CALORIC COUNT. THE RESULTS WILL BE SEEN IN THE MIRROR AND ON THE SCALE...NOT ON THE FITBIT. SPEND THAT MONEY ON GROCERIES AS HEALTHY EATING IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NOT.

Actually you are wrong!! the Fitbit is a great tool to get people up and moving. And steps do count 10,000 steps is 5 miles. Alot of people have a fitbit (myself included) will testify it keeps you moving and the competition on the fitbit page with friends as to who can get more steps is fun. To the OP I love my fitty and i do have a HRM for cardio portions of my workouts. The fitbit is used as a pedometer for walking, running etc. It's a great little tool, I am happy I got it.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is that fitbit is a step counter that is easily trigred to count like the old ones back in the day as soon as you clicked it on it would count a few steps or if you bumped it, it would count as steps.

It uses the same technology as the Wii remotes to determine position, altitude, speed, etc. All you have to do it put it on and it will count your steps, how many flights of stairs you go up, how many miles you walked, etc. As for being "bumped", I've heard of people who put it in their pockets who get false readings because the fitbit is jostled around so much but really, just clip it to an article of your clothing and you'll be fine.
    Why don't you wear it all day and at the end of the day record how many calories you burnt and the next day just set that as a number to beat.

HRMs are not meant to be used in this fashion and if you aren't above a certain heart rate it won't give an accurate reading of calories burnt. A general idea of anyone's average daily calorie burn would be their TDEE and there are plenty of calculators out there to figure it out. Including the one this site already uses just by entering accurate information on your activity level.
    I should add that I do have a HRM already now....

So do I actually (Polar FT7). I use my FitBit 24/7 to get a few extra calories here and there from chasing my son around and I use my HRM for my actual workouts. Has worked for me so far.
    DON'T GET IT.....JUST ANOTHER WEIGHT LOSS FOR PROFIT INSTRUMENT. DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW MANY STEPS YOU TAKE IN A DAY AS FAR AS BURNING CALORIES. IF YOU ARE EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISING THE GENERAL CALORIC LOST FOR EXERCISING IS ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN A CALORIC COUNT

Everyone needs different sorts of motivation. The fitbit is a great motivating tool and I don't regret one penny I spent on mine. I've been wearing it continuously now since February. If you have FitBit friends you can compare yourself on the leaderboard and maybe get a few extra steps in that day.
    I am happy to add that an MRI machine does not jazz it up either. I've seen posts where they've gone through the wash, fell in the toilet, the dog got them...some survived and some had to be put to rest. I realized I was wearing it during the MRI and was so angry with myself and was thinking how to scam my daughters but to my disbelief it came through with flying colors!

Their customer service is awesome and from any experience I've had with them or read anyone else having with them they will more than likely just replace your broken FitBit with only a few questions. If the MRI had messed it up, I'm sure they would have replaced it :)

OP I hope this helps! Good luck with your decision!

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2