Ab Exercises

Options
What are some of your favorite ab exercises to do??

What ones have made the most difference in your body???

I am just looking for some new exercises to do rather than the same few things that i always do.

Replies

• fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    incline bench dumbbell leg raises.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bump - I would be interested to hear similar.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    anyone else?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me it was heavy barbell lifting, especially overhead movements like overhead squat where the core has to work to stabilize the whole thing.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Honestly for me it was heavy barbell lifting, especially overhead movements like overhead squat where the core has to work to stabilize the whole thing.
    really, i would never have thought that!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yep, I used to religiously do my situps and cruches and ab machine and basically got zero results.

Overhead squats (heavy, like I can only do 5-10 at a time before I absolutely have to break), Turkish get-ups, heavy kettlebell swings (bringing the bell all the way overhead) - finally I can see some definition.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Planks! They are ridiculously hard, but do they ever show results fast!
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I do ab specific exercises, maybe once a week. Other than that, I make sure to concentrate on everything else I do as far a stabilizing my core....To be honest, I'm pretty satisfied with my abs.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    i love doing crunches and (someone correct me if i'm wrong) reverse crunches. My legs are dead straight pointing up to the ceiling and then i move them above my head but still straight. I think i've lost myself lol

i am jealous of every girl who has a flat defined tummy. damn you all :flowerforyou:
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do extreme makeover DVD work outs..they have some abs work out..they kill but I wish I could just flatten it faster...I do the legs one where you lift ur butt and legs up and back down or bend knee and take ur arms to each side like your holding a ball to pass to next person hard to explain but I feel it
  • shm1289
    shm1289 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack dvd. It's a killer!!
  • amandamickey
    Options
    Personally, I get the best results when I don't obsess over doing the traditional ab exercises we all know (sit ups, crunches). Anything that uses the entire body (such as the squats with shoulder press previously mentioned) is great because your core is naturally engaging in the move and trying to stabilize the body. Since it is impossible to spot reduce (damn it!), focus on pulling in your abs tight in any exercise you do to engage your core (this helps with posture too, I find). A few exercises that I like for abs are planks, crunches on a pilates ball, planks with a bosu ball (flat side on the floor is easier - you can also use this same method and do leg lifts, alternating which leg you lift and holding for 10sec each side).
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^^^ This. It goes a long way to getting you where you need to go and makes crunches pointless. Planks have already been suggested, but they get old quickly. Once you can hold a five minute plank with your 5 year old jumping on and off your back you really don't need to do one again.

I only do my abs directly once every two weeks or so, and the only exercise I do is toes to bar for 3 sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqOgtFcqWbE&feature=share&list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC