Thai Food... Healthy Choices???

Options
Alsison
Alsison Posts: 609 Member
Hi All,

Any recommendations on healthier choices when eating out at a Thai restaurant?? Most of these restaurants do not have nutritional information for their food...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...:flowerforyou:

Cheers,
Alsison

Replies

• careyannal
    Options
    Last time I ate Thai I got garlic chicken, no rice with a side of broccoli. Your best bet is probably any of the chicken your chicken dishes, avoid the rice and noodles.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Won ton soup.
    Silver noodle soup.

Actually, I think most of the curry dishes aren't too bad. The sauces often have coconut milk in them, but they run thin and if you eat the veggies/meat/fish not over rice, you should be good.
  • hughv1
    hughv1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I always opt for the stir fries that come with veggies and I skip the rice. The coconut milk curries and noodle dishes can really pack a caloric whallop!
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    I usually get the tom yum shrimp soup. Any clear broth soup will do, though.
  • healthyCAL
    healthyCAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    tom yum soup. my favorite and sooo filling. I ordered an entre' and couldn't even eat it.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have never had Thai food that wasn't healthy. Do you mean low calorie?
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I increase activity for the day to make room for the extra calories. Everything I love at the thai place is loaded with calories
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the FRESH spring rolls. These are not of the fried variety, just watch the sauces. Personally I love Pad Thai, but I always cut it in half. Cashew chicken is good too and I don't know the name of it, but I had this very spicy shrimp dish that had a red sauce lots of veggies and rice. It was delish. Enjoy your meal!
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to make it yourself, head over to skinnytaste.com. She has some fabulous curry recipes. I actually ate at a thai restaurant today. My whole meal was 350. I have a chicken borth soup and four pork dumplings with lemongrass tea. I was stuffed afterwards too!

You can totally do this.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    The salads contain sugar but no oil Ie Green Papaya or Mango salad or Laab.

The stir fries will have some oil, but less than Chinese. The BBQ dishes will contain sugar, but little oil. Would avoid green curry and Tom kha soups because of the coconut cream.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'd make it at home and eat small portions, but in the even that I want paenang curry and I'm not interested in grinding up ingredients and I'm going to get it take out, I'd just skimp at other meals so I can enjoy the treat.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's healthy or not, but here's my advice: Drunken. Noodles.

OMG... The Bomb.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Soup, fresh rolls, grilled anything. But, you really can only choose one thing because they tend to be very big portion sizes, so unless you allot it into your day by eating less at other meals, I'd still stick with just one item off the menu.

I would stay away from anything with a sauce. They are either very high in fat, or high in sugar.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Give white meat dishes (chicken/fish) or vegetable/tofu dishes a go. Most people are surprised by Tofu, its as high in protein as many meats, low fat and a better calorie/protein ratio than many meats. Give it a go, Tofu is horrid if it isnt cooked right, but in stirfries etc its great.

I often get vegetable stirfries and tofu vegetable stirfries and you can eat and indulge without worrying about too many calories.

Once side note though, satay and cashew nut dishes add calories quicky. HOWEVER - calories dont always mean a bad thing its just keep it in mind. Nuts in dishes provides alot of nutrients and 'good' fats.

I usually just skip desert and entree (spring rolls etc are 200 calories plus usually) and i tend to order 2 veggie dishes (a plate of veg and a tofu/veg dish and i usually cant eat it all (i am a pig!).
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I will seriously eat nothing but raw fruit and veggies all day to be able to stuff myself like a pig at a Thai restaurant. LOVE me some Thai!
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Soup, fresh rolls, grilled anything. But, you really can only choose one thing because they tend to be very big portion sizes, so unless you allot it into your day by eating less at other meals, I'd still stick with just one item off the menu.

I would stay away from anything with a sauce. They are either very high in fat, or high in sugar.

I agree with you here. 'Special sauce' usually translates into salt with fat with sugar.

I stick with soy, chilli, basil based sauces but you need to just note that soy sauce is high in sodium/salt if you track and monitor salt intake (which is a good idea).

For drinks, stick with a FRESH juice, green tea or water.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always get either the papaya salad, BBQ chicken (remove skin and do not touch the sauce), or the steam fish with sauce on the side.
  • 8837Graham
    8837Graham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Thai Red Curry! I stay with chicken or seafood and keep my portions in check. I swap rice for veggies, and only have this as a once per month treat. :tongue:
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You guys know how easy the red or panang curry is to make at home and avoid the whopping calories? I do this all the time. Two words:
    Crock pot.
    Can of coconut milk, half a little can of red or panang curry from the asian food store (some regular grocery stores carry it, but not many), about a teaspoon of sugar and a dash of fish sauce (also asian food store). Fill crock pot the rest of the way with veggies. I usually go with onion, bell peppers, pineapple, and butternut squash. Let cook all day while you're at work, come home and add shrimp and crab, and 15 or 20 minutes later you've got yourself a whole week's worth of curry dinners. Just skip the rice and eat it like a soup.
    I can't remember the calories off the top of my head because I just have it added as a meal in my journal, but one bowl of this "soup" is not outside of my normal dinner calories. You can still eat the rest of the day and it tastes just like the real thing.