Which heart rate monitor to buy? - Repost, I put it in the w

Options
I'm planning to get something that will give me a fairly accurate reading of the calories I burn during a work out. I'm assuming that would be a heart rate monitory? What do you recommend? What are things I should look for when buying one? I've never worked out before the end of 2009. I would walk as my only form of exercise. I do Weight Watchers and would use their pedometer which would tell me how many points I've earned. Now that I'm getting into work out DVDS, really pushing myself when I walk and counting calories rather then points I would like something that will pretty accurately show me what I've burned.
Thank you!

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Bump......Any ideas? Anyone?
    My hubby has a Polar but the strap & my bra go the same place....any ideas?
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    BUMP AGAIN......I HAVE THE SAME QUESTIONS
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I love the Polar F6! :smile: All accurate HRMs have a chest strap which have to go on your chest slightly under your breasts. I haven't had any problem with mine - I just slip my bra over it a little bit. I am still supported (I am a 36DD chest) by the bra just fine and the HRM does it's magic. It is pretty thin, so it doesn't really make much of a difference. I feel weird when I don't wear my HRM for exercise now.
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I love the Polar F6! :smile: All accurate HRMs have a chest strap which have to go on your chest slightly under your breasts. I haven't had any problem with mine - I just slip my bra over it a little bit. I am still supported (I am a 36DD chest) by the bra just fine and the HRM does it's magic. It is pretty thin, so it doesn't really make much of a difference. I feel weird when I don't wear my HRM for exercise now.

Is the strap the "coded transmitter"? I just googled it and was checking it out ...
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    OK..maybe mine are too smal cause my bra rides up right under "the Girls" and it rests on top of the strap making it uncomfortable....IS your strap made out of plastic, fabric? My hubby's polar is old so maybe that some better material out.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Kandy - I believe it is coded to the watch. I haven't had any problems with it. Maybe it codes once the watch finds it - because I see you can buy them non coded.

Edit: Okay, just read up. The watch when it comes with the transmitter, I believe is coded. If you want an extra transmitter, then you buy a non coded one. This is why when the batteries die, you just send it to a Polar manufacturer to replace them so that you can keep on using the coded transmitter with the watch. At least, this is my understanding.

From a HRM listing on amazon: Polar OwnCode: This technology blocks unwanted signals from other heart rate monitors, ensuring disturbance-free transmission of your heart rate data.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Kathy - It is elastic on the back and then a flexible thin plastic for the transmitter.
    It looks like this:
    11583_1_.jpg
  • jkroc
    jkroc Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I also have the Polar F6 and LOVE IT:wink:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Lol. apparently I was blind when I was looking at my transmitter. It says the model number (T31 - Coded). :laugh: So it is coded. :smile:

Jennifer - Isn't it awesome? I love it so much! One of my best investments for fitness.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the insight, I'll be looking into the Polor. My aunt has offered me an old one of my grandpas (he hasn't exercised in about 5 years) so I'm going to check that out until I can get something like the Polor. Thank you! I'm still looking for ideas.
  • loulabear
    Options
    You can buy a replacement strap that is all fabic that will fit under your bra or you can buy sports bras with the monitor in them

Here's a link to the fabic strap
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/wearlink.shtml
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I think I am also sold on buying the Polar F6 ... :drinker:
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Does the Polar also give distance, like a pedometer, or just HR and calories burned?