Has anyone given up diet soda and lost weight?

Options
Hello! I'm struggling with losing about 20 lbs. I'm 5'4'' and weight around 149 right now. I'd like to lose about 20 lbs ideally but would be happy with about 10. I joined a boxing club and go 3-4 days a week. It is a very intense cardio/ab/weight workout. I actually gained weight the first few weeks but I've lost an inch on my waist. Going forward I'd really like to lose the fat and wieght. I was just wondering if anyone has seen the scale start moving when they gave up the diet soda. I drink about 2-3 cans a day right now. I guess I'm just wondering if this would help at all. I feel very stuck.

Replies

• CherylO75
    Options
    thats ALOT of soda, regular or diet. While diet has artificial sweeteners it is still not good for you. I am actually allergic to the stuff and have found lots of other people who are too, causes horrific migraines in us. I drink ONE regular soda, pepsi or dr pepper, a day. at one point a few years ago i was drinking 4-6 a day!!! when i went to one, i lost 5 inches in like a week!!! the carbonation is terrible on bloating our bellies. try cutting it to one a day and see if that helps.
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I used to have 3 32oz fountain sodas a day and sometimes even a couple cans added to that. I gave up all soda and sugary drinks and it has helped me a lot. I must say I did not immediately drop weight -- it actually helped me to STOP craving sweet foods/treats all the time. Diet soda contains sweeteners that make you crave more sweets. It can also make you bloated (which is how you mainly hear of people losing the weight).

Good luck and you can do this. If you force yourself to drink water only for a couple weeks, you will be used to it and won't even miss the soda. The water will be "normal" for you. I am soda/sugar drink free for 18 months now.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I drink only water, green tea and milk and the scale hasn't moved any quicker. But for some people giving up soda really is all the difference.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to drink diet DP all the time. I now drink water, decaf un-sweet tea, water,and water. Diet soda has a LOT of sodium in them. Sodium retains water. If you drink diet soda like you say you do, you probably have 10-15lbs of extra water weight to lose. I suggest quitting Diet sodas.
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 4 or 5 sometimes. I'm going to try to do 1 per day for the next two weeks and see how it goes. It will be my morning caffeine jolt. :) Thanks for the replies and encouragement!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm struggling with losing about 20 lbs. I'm 5'4'' and weight around 149 right now. I'd like to lose about 20 lbs ideally but would be happy with about 10. I joined a boxing club and go 3-4 days a week. It is a very intense cardio/ab/weight workout. I actually gained weight the first few weeks but I've lost an inch on my waist. Going forward I'd really like to lose the fat and wieght. I was just wondering if anyone has seen the scale start moving when they gave up the diet soda. I drink about 2-3 cans a day right now. I guess I'm just wondering if this would help at all. I feel very stuck.

I don't think diet soda is having any significant effect on your plateau. Your tooth enamel might thank you if you switched to a different beverage but it's not likely having any significant effect on your weightloss provided that your diet soda consumption isn't (through any means including behavior) causing you to over-consume calories.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting advice out there about the effect of soft drinks whether they are sugar free or not. Personally I was only concerned abou the sugar content but I've changed my way of thinking now and don't drink a daily chemical cocktail like I used to. After a month I totally lost the taste for diet coke and coke zero and can't stand the stuff now. If you must drink it I think you should limit it to 1 can a day as you'd otherwise drink water which is so much better for your body. I don't think there are any conclusive studies about sweetener causing cancer etc but studies do suggest that even sugar free drinks cause people to over eat. Can't say I miss the bloating from soft drinks at all. It's definitely worth it if you can quit or just cut back.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I never started drinking diet soda, pure sugar for me. I have no problem shedding body fat when on a cut.
  • Pomroy89
    Options
    I used to drink lots of diet coke everyday sometimes a whole litre bottle. I recently went abroad for 2 weeks and couldn't stand the coke light they substitutedmdietncoke with so drank water instead, since coming back over the past 6 weeks I haven't had any coke as I totally lost the taste and interest, my weight didn't drop BUT I have felt loads better for it. YOU CAN DO IT!!:smile::drinker: :tongue:
  • bobbyfranks
    Options
    A Boxing club!!! Good for you!!! I LOVE training! Especially for boxing. I actually did quit drinking diet soda and lost weight. It was something to do with the "sweet" taste...some research says it caused over-eating because my brain told my body to expect a sugar rush...when that didn't happen...My brain "thought" I was spent...so it made me tear into the oreos...Or something like that...I pretty much stick to water, coffee, and tea now... and I quit stocking oreos....