Scares to get on scales

Options
Hello everyone im fairly new to this fitness pal thing.... Well joined ages ago but didnt really log food diary until this time around (approx 1 week ago). Anyway ive struggled with weight all my life, and the scales are a very scary place for me to go - maybe others feel the same. If i go on the scales, i know the scales will become my best friend, my enemy, and everything else in between. I have eating disorders in the past, and the scales are fricken scary as hell.

Anyway this week has been mainly good, but yesterday i had a minor blow out. So this morning im thinking new day and start again, and feeling positive.

Hope everyone is having a good day/week. Hello to everyone. And yeah the spring has arrived here in Australia. :-)

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I was scared of the scales too.
    I didn't let the trainer tell me how much I weighed when I joined the gym a year and a half ago.
    When I joined this site I had to put my weight so it could calculate my food requirements and the amount burned by exercise.
    So I bit the bullet.
    Now I'm happy to weigh cos it keeps a-goin' down.
    (not every day, I know that, but if it doesn't go up by more than 1 Kg I feel great, it will go back again soon enough.)
  • jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a similar relationship with the scale, and found myself compulsively weighing myself daily. To combat that, I put my scale away and will only weigh myself at the health coaching office where I work -- and I can only go there once a month. That will hopefully keep me from obsessing over the number and concentrate on other positive signs.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Try just using a tape measure and log down what you measure once a week. :smile:
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I posted something very similar earlier today.
    I never weigh myself. Maybe it's a fear.
    But I think of it more as a trigger.
    I have dealt with eating issues and disorders most of my life.
    I can become very obsessive in a very unhealthy way when I see the numbers, so I just don't.
    I know by the way my body looks and my clothes fit where I am.
    Since I am so carefully tracking things now, I did think about it, but I am still reluctant...
  • wickednitsch
    wickednitsch Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Monday morning I stepped on the scale and it said I had gained 10+ pounds over the weekend! :sad: I was devastated and baffled and depressed and everything that goes along with gaining weight. I was SO turned off by food. I ate thoughtfully and logged diligently. I had to go grocery shopping that evening. I shopped consciously and skipped the cheese order at the deli counter, picked out lots of nice fruits and veggies, and avoided the ice cream aisle completely. As far as I was concerned I was punished and was not allowed even a Skinny Cow. I got home late that evening with my arms full of groceries and fully exhausted. After putting all the food away and collapsing onto the couch my husband (with a spoonful of ice cream just leaving his lips) asks, "Did you pick up batteries for the scale? I think they are going dead because it had an error message on it this afternoon when I got home from work."

I could have hugged him and punched him and cried all at the same time!!! After processing what had happened and just how stressed and disappointed in myself I had been, I've realized a few things:

1. I have an unrealistic fear of all the weight I've lost (I've lost 35 before MFP) miraculously and horrifically re-appearing someday. :noway: I need to emphasize the "unrealistic" part.
    2. If I am eating well and exercising regularly, I need to lighten up on myself and remember I'm doing the best I can.
    3. Sometimes - just sometimes - it's okay to question what is happening with all of this eating/exercise stuff and say, "NO way!"

Cheers to all of you and good luck on your journey - wherever it takes you.