First place you start losing weight

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Just started my weight loss journey using MFP. I like it so far, especially the community of weight loss friends. I'm curious, where did you first see signs of weight loss on your body? In other words, where does the weight come off first? Thanks all!

Everyone is different. The body sheds it where it wants to but for me came off all over and what was finally left was the waist, hips, and upper legs.

For me the last to go was the upper legs, but I am female and that is typical for females, and it's a bit different for me compared to younger females because I'm in a different phase of hormones because I'm over 50.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For its my stomach, sides, boobs, and face...then my calves (for some odd reason) then my thighs and arms are the last thing...
  • timdryer
    Options
    I didn't really notice until I was able to wear a five year old pair of jeans and dress shirts that didn't fit anymore. Now those jeans are too big but the shirts fit comfortably.

Conclusion: I literally jogged my 'hinderparts' off!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I actually lost it from my back first. When I hit my highest weight, the thing that made me feel the fattest was that I could feel my back touching itself where a roll had developed right above my hips. It went away first and was very noticeable in a positive way; it definitely served as a motivator and mood booster because I didn't feel "fat" even early on in my weight loss.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    usethe following to make sure you dont wind up not eating enough

to figure out just how many calories you need a day: step 1: weight to kilograms Divide your weight by 2.2 you can round up Step 2:resting metabolic rate 795+(7.18x body weight in kilogram)= resting metabolic rate step 3: body mass index find you BMI. BMI is a hieght-and-weight calculation that doesn't take into account your ratio of fat to muscle. charts are online :) Step 4:daily-activities multiplers now figure out your activity multiplier For Bmi 18 through 24.9 Under 35 light: 1.6 Active: 1.8 strenuous: 2.0 Over 35 light 1.4 active 1.6 stenuous 1.8 bmi >25 under 35 light 1.5 active 1.7 strenuous 1.9 over 35 light 1.2 active 1.4 strenuous 1.6 now multiply the number you got in step 2and multiply that by the number you got in the chart above. Step 5: Minus 300 cals from the number you got above and eat back the cals you burn when working out and there you go
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I lose from face, neck, collarbones, wrists first, then boobs and thighs, last to go is my belly, back fat and calves. My calves are huge no matter what size I am though, my sister is very fit and has huge calves as well.
  • davelink
    Options
    Face for me.......
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Face and my moobs. =(
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    shoulders.....weird i know
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My hips/butt were first.
  • meagan_lamb
    Options
    I probably noticed my face and arms first, it took me a while to see my thighs and stomach.
  • debsclio
    Options
    Face and wrists
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I noticed my hands first, others noticed it in my face.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person....
    I'm pear shaped. I first noticed in my arms, face and stomach, where I've never had so much fat to begin with. Last thing to go would be my hips and butt... I think they've gotten smaller but not that much.

Strangely so far my boobs stayed the same, maybe it's because I'm on birth control.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Face !!!
  • MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    rib cage,
    then boobs and a little face
    last on the list is gut and belly :(
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    face
  • Couturemoon
    Options
    Waist,thighs and fingers.
    I wish it would come off my arms instead!lol
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Belly, oddly it seems like I got thinner sideways but if I look at myself from the front I look just as wide as ever lol. Getting pregnant caused all my extra weight to hang onto my hips for dear life. Last place to lose is hips and thighs for me I guess.
  • JRPActor
    JRPActor Posts: 1
    Options
    I have gone from 42x30 pants to 36x30 pants.

XXL shirts to XL shirts - but still feel comfortable in XXL shirts.

I just noticed that in photos - I am losing hair and not weight in my face.

REALLY SUCKS! I look bloated. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

First place I gain it, last place to lose it?

Double Chin exercises????