variation in weight

Options
What is a normal variation in weight? I ask because in the morning I weigh 143 lbs, I got to the gym and weigh myself after my workout and I weigh 136. Then before I go to bed I weigh myself and its around 146-147. Its about a 10 lb difference throughout my entire day. So what is my true weight?

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Weigh the same time every day. Generally in the morning. You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself after every time you eat or drink or go to the bathroom.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Weigh the same time every day. Generally in the morning. You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself after every time you eat or drink or go to the bathroom.

Agreed, and you should also be using the same scale for consistency...
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Your true weight is the weight you are when you wake up in the morning.
    Pre breakfast, Pre shower, post bathroom break, in your PJs

Your weight will go up thru the course of the day due to water intake, food intake, etc etc but your base weight is
    generally speaking as mentioned there.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    "They" say the morning weight is your true weight. I fluctuate about 2-3lbs on a normal basis. My right before bed is usually 2-3lbs higher than the morning. If I don't eat much during the day, don't drink my usual water amount or move around a lot, I could lose a 1-2lbs during the day but that is not a true weight loss for me.

If your morning and night time weight are on your scale at home and the after your workout weight comes from a gym scale...I would discount the gym scale as a valid weight. Scales need to be calibrated every now and again and if you're using a gym scale with who knows how many people on it daily and not knowing when it was calibrated last, I would venture to guess that scale is not going to be nearly as accurate as your home scale.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Must be a good workout! I vary by 10lbs also on long cardio days I only log my weight when I first wake up and ignore the changes. for example I wake up and weight 225 when I workout midday I'm down to 220 but I'm dehydrated a bit then by the end of the night i can be around 229. If that makes any sense
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    16ounces of water = a pound yes ? :)
  • travelgirl96
    Options
    Be sure to use the same scale. I always use the one that gives me the lower weight!
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    First of all, use only one scale for consistency (as someone else already stated).

Second, I ALWAYS weigh myself in the morning after a potty stop, and before breakfast. My scale tends to be a little finicky, so I always weigh myself 3 times in a row...most of the time at least 2 of those weights are the same and I go with that for my weight. I believe first thing in the morning is closer to a true weight than any other time of day. Your body has burned calories from the day before while asleep and you have not yet put anything into your body food-wise.

FWIW, I do wait about 15 minutes before stepping on the scale after getting out of bed. I feel like it allows my blood to start flowing and pumping through my body and generally just feel more awake.

Hope this helps.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Agreed, and you should also be using the same scale for consistency...

same scale, that's what I was going to say....
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the responses, very informative
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you need to use the same scale, once a day at the same time.
  • PsychoClown
    PsychoClown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself in the morning before you eat, without any clothes on. you will get your true weight.