Cooking tilapia?

Options
jenna25
jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
hello all :)

I am trying to eat cleaner and decided i want to start eating more fish! so i bought some tilapia on my way home from my run! yes its been a nice healthy day so far haha but anyways i have no idea how to cook it so it tastes the best! i bought some seasoning that the lady at publix told me is really good on fish its called old bay seasoning but besides that i have no idea how to cook/make it so it tastes the best and is the healthiest. Would love to hear some ideas and what type of veggies you like to have with fish?! thank you!

Replies

• Schwilly45
    Options
    I just had tilapia this evening. I didn't do much to it. I put I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on it and a lot of pepper and then I broiled it until it was sort of crispy. It was delicious.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-garlic-tilapia/ Lemon Garlic Tilapia

This is what I'm making tonight for dinner! I haven't made it before, but it has awesome reviews and seems pretty straightforward.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it with old bay and wrap it in foil and bake for about 30 minutes on 350 or you can grill it faster, each side 5 minutes. I have also skipped the old bay and placed one slice of lemon on it and wrapped in foil as well. Both tastes delicious
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I just put the thawed filets in a casserole dish, sprinkle with a little sea salt, lemon pepper, and some Tony C's (Chaccari's ? (sp) Cajun seafood seasoning.) Bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Good stuff
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Put some virgin olive oil on it then set it in some foil ... toss in fresh thyme and maybe some diced peppers .... close the foil and bake at 375 till done.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for ideas on this. I've been sprinkling Old Bay on it as well and then steaming it. But I'm super sensitive to spices. It's good seasoning if I don't overdo it, otherwise it's a little spicy for me and my daughter. Would be happy to have other seasoning ideas.
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have used old bay but not on tilapia. I mix up some of our favorite spices, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning and a few tablespoons of grated parmesan. sprinkle on both sides of your fish. Lightly oil a pan and place fish in the oven. 425 for 13-18 minutes depending on how thick. It's very tasty.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I love pan-frying it with a little olive oil (I use maybe 1/2 tbsp, if that, for 3 or 4 fillets...1 tsp for 2 fillets). For seasoning, Old Bay is good. I also like Cajun seasoning, or lemon pepper. Lemon pepper might be my favorite (whether the prepared seasoning, or one I make with real lemons and fresh-ground black pepper).

As for what to have with it, anything works but I especially like brussel sprouts (I cut them in half put them in a pan with a little olive oil, maybe 1/2 tsp, as well as salt and pepper, and then cover the pan...I cook them like that until they are a little soft but not mushy...then I take the cover off and let them pan-fry a bit until the flat sides are slightly crispy). The result is brussel sprouts that are soft from the "steaming" process but crispy from the pan-fry!

I also particularly like sweet potatoes with fish. And artichokes!

Edit to add: I also like sprinkling it with paprika and pan-frying it with just that.

Also, someone mentioned sensitivity to spices- maybe try fresh lemon juice and crushed garlic! I poke little holes in the fish and then rub a lemon-garlic mix over it. That's yummy baked :)
  • KatiaClouse
    KatiaClouse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite tilapia recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-and-tomato-tilapia/
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    FYI: I use avocado oil, olive oil tends to burn/smoke at higher temps.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Salt and pepper on a George Foreman grill or in a pan with some olive oil. Many store bought seasonings/rubs available too. Try some swai fish filets next time you are at the store - much firmer fish.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have frozen tilapia individually wrapped. I put a tiny bit of olive oil in pan, put frozen tilapia in, sprinkle with old bay, cover with lid, flip after a few minutes and it's done! I usually microwave a sweet potato and frozen veggies and everything is finished within 15 mins ish! This finally works for me, I have not been a fan of tilapia until doing it this way, don't care for the way I bake it or fix it any other way. Hope this helps!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Bake it in the oven with a little olive oil, , black pepper, pinch of salt, garlic powder and cilantro...
  • gretchen1224
    Options
    I brush it with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Saute onions and peppers until tender. Put some balsamic vinegar in the vegetables.

Put tilapia in a baking dish and cover with onions and peppers.

Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes until done
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the best tilapia recipe. Top it with 2 tbs low cal mayo, 2 tbls parmesean cheese and 1tsp worcestershire sauce per filet of fish. You broil itat 450F for 12 min. It ends up being 165 calories per piece. So creamy and the cheese is so good. My 5 year old even loves it. I usually serve it with brown rice or Quinoa.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I usually just season it and pan sear it or bake it. You really can't go wrong with lemon and garlic. Just experiment.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it with old bay and wrap it in foil and bake for about 30 minutes on 350 or you can grill it faster, each side 5 minutes. I have also skipped the old bay and placed one slice of lemon on it and wrapped in foil as well. Both tastes delicious

I make mine like this with Old Bay and some Ms Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning wrapped in foil with a squirt of lemon or lime juice and bake. Sometimes I skip the juice and just steam it but I always season with Old Bay and Ms Dash Lemon Pepper
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    One way I like is to dip it in into italian bread crumbs. You don't really need any egg because if the fish is a little wet the bread crumbs stick well. Then cook it in a skillet with a bit of olive oil.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have the best tilapia recipe. Top it with 2 tbs low cal mayo, 2 tbls parmesean cheese and 1tsp worcestershire sauce per filet of fish. You broil itat 450F for 12 min. It ends up being 165 calories per piece. So creamy and the cheese is so good. My 5 year old even loves it. I usually serve it with brown rice or Quinoa.

Doctor Who sorry got side tracked...umm this sounds great I might have to give this a try.
  • juliann95
    juliann95 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just use old bay seasoning and bake it at 400. It's one of my go to meals when I need protein,!! I had it tonight