New hunter

Options
13»

Replies

• karynspeace
    Options
    Congrats to the OP for trying out hunting. You'll find it to be a very rewarding experience. Enjoy your time outdoors as some of your best days afield might even be days you didn't harvest an animal! You got the respect for the animal thing down so now go out & find someone in your area who has experience & that could help you learn the finer points of dealing with the animal properly after you make the kill.

I would also recommend spending some money on butchering equipment & process the deer yourself. In the long run you'll save a lot of money & it is pretty cool to know you've did everything yourself:)

As to critics of hunting, most fail to realize that hunting is at the core of conservation! Here in Pa hundreds of thousands of dollars from hunters have been used to purchase land with prime habitat for animals so they have a place to thrive in the wild. This is also true thru out the USA as hunters spend much time & money to help preserve & control the animal population.

To all my fellow hunters, stay safe & shoot straight:)

Agreed! We have an overpopulation in our region and there have been deer dying from wasting diseases. So far our farm is looking good but a friend had a lot of dead ones at his river/spring - due to some fly disease. Sad to see such a waste.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Should I invest in a rifled barrel for my Model 1100, or just buy a rifled-barrel 20ga for about the same price? Am leaning towards the other barrel. I've seen them with rails so my eotech can mount up okay...
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Should I invest in a rifled barrel for my Model 1100, or just buy a rifled-barrel 20ga for about the same price? Am leaning towards the other barrel. I've seen them with rails so my eotech can mount up okay...

My buddy has the slug barrel for his 1100 and it is a great shooting gun.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Either way will make you happy. Of course you already have the 1100 so that my be the way to go. Modern slugs with modern rifled barrels are an accurate weapon. Easily a 150 yards set up. Pair it with a decent scope and off you go.

Check out my post on IDOhunting regarding shot placement. http://www.idohunting.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/638335/fpart/1/270-wsm-ammo-blood-trail-issue

I illustrate the location and talk about the effects (about 4 posts down).
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I dont know anybody that baits in a 3 x 3 area. Most broadcast it over a wide area to mimic mast crops. I do know that the food plots in the area are small (1/4 and 1/2 acre) That is the norm. If you use food to advantage you as a hunter in seeing and attracting game for harvest, you are a baiter. Size of the bait area means nothing sice the very act itself is baiting.

Guess it depends on the part of the country. Up here bait is dumped out from buckets.

Food Plots are put in to feed deer throughout the winter and promote excellent antler growth (many many acres). Of course a food plot also attracts and concentrates deer.
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The first advice I can offer is to have fun! The second would be to learn to butcher your own game. To me, that's just as much a part of the hunt as anything(not saying anything about guys that have it butchered, I just think it "extends" the experience). The third piece of advice is hunt smart. Quantity doesn't equal quality. Hunt the wind properly and you should see continued success. Welcome to the lifestyle!

The only baiting I'd do is happen to have a back yard deer like to use for cover. :)

If deer walks through my yard, that's my hunt. If no deer, no harvest. Cant really stalk and hunt due to my knees. But - yeah, I'll do it, Need to learn the skill.

Much agreed re: Harvesting a deer vs buying beef from a slaughter house type operation. :( Much more humane to harvest wild vs some of places folks buy meat. Food, Inc. changed me.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You need to reach in your pants and search for your balls

Then grab them and man up
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You need to reach in your pants and search for your balls

Then grab them and man up

Is that your advice for me?