Thank you

Options
Thank you to the MFP community! I have been on here for a few months now - and I cannot express just how helpful the wonderful people on this site have been for me. I feel like I've been through the "Stages of Weight Loss" over the last few months and I am amazed at how challenging it can be - physically and mentally.

** Stage 1: Shame **
I found myself tired - all the time - and unsure if I could ever change my reality. I gained weight at University 14 years ago and have been up-and-down since then. I can't seem to stabilize at a healthy weight. At the end of each day, I find myself ashamed at own body and wear a t-short to bed just so I won't have to face the view.

** Stage 2: Determination (also known as: "Ditch the Pity Party") **
My 10 year old daughter said to me: "You're the chubby Dad, but that's OK, we still love you!" I laughed...Then, I cried - buckets. Ditching the pity party, I decided to become a good example for my kids and learn to lead a healthy lifestyle - from scratch.

** Stage 3: Early Excitement **
In 3 weeks I lost 10 pounds. In the last 5 weeks I've only lost 7, but I'm MAKING PROGRESS! I have a personal trainer, am bulking up my upper body and FEEL GREAT! I have more energy, enjoy playing with the kids again and am visibly more "active" in my everyday routine. I am so happy - I just want to tell everyone. Well, that leads to our next stage...

** Stage 4: GUILT **
I have many friends and I live in Houston. For those not knowledgeable about Houston, Texas - it's the 2nd FATTEST city in the US. Ergo - I have many fat friends. None of them want to hear about my weight loss journey. They listen patiently as I "entertain" them with stories of my new diet regimen, the workout routine at the gym, and my latest 2.1 lb drop. BUT, it's obvious they are uncomfortable hearing about my weight loss when it's obvious they are not active. I thought at first it would inspire them - but I think it's alienated them - made them feel lousy about themselves and want to run from me. So, as a result - I have lots of guilt. I want to share my stories - to scream at the top of lungs how HAPPy I am to be losing weight - but the guilt over hurting their feelings just kills me.

** Stage 5: Acceptance and Gratitude **
I accept that most of my friends care- but don't want the play-by-play on my weight loss. That's why I so grateful for the MFP site. Perfect Strangers (stress the "Perfect"!!) decide to "Friend" me and are so encouraging, so thoughtful, and have been through (or will be) the same stage of the journey as I. For all of your "Good Job" and "Way to go" comments, your thoughtful notes, your "virtual" friendships - I thank you. I am grateful. Your words strengthen the alloy of my determination - build my confidence - and keep me "on the straight and narrow!"

I love my MFP family.

- Severin

Replies

• LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What a great post/topic. There are many stages here and you are processing them all and making great progress in doing so. My situation is almost opposite of you. I have very fit and active friends and I got tired of being the one always on the sidelines. They are supportive but this site helps me surround myself with a lot of like minded people. People with the same struggles as me. Their determination fuels mine and sometimes mine fuels others. It is so rewarding!

We are glad you are here and are very happy to cheer you on! Keep working hard and you will get the results you want! OWN EACH DAY! We can do this!