Anyone having this issue?

Options
2»

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you're consistent with your calories and your macros are dialed in correctly and you're not losing weight... the only way to increase your deficit is to consume less calories or expend more calories through exercise.

Completely disagree. Your body is constantly adapting over time, trying to lose body mass as slowly as possible to give the best chance of survival in case of a prolonged famine (think human history and evolution). You have to find an optimal calorie deficit that provides enough food for your body to be relaxed, but that will allow you to lose weight. Trying to force the weight off by continually eating less and less is a great way to produce stress on the body.
    The point is, eat more, or eat less. Whatever you do, be consistent, track your progress, and make changes accordingly.

Absolutely.

Personally I hit a plateau in June after about 5 months and 40 lbs lost on MFP. I was consistent and accurate in what I was logging and maintaining my net calorie goal. Stopped losing weight for a few weeks, got tired more easily during my workouts and took a lot longer to recover my energy. I thought about it and decided having maintained a 2 lb per week loss goal (~1000 Calories a day deficit) was becoming too hard to maintain and be healthy. I dropped to a 1 lb per week loss goal, adding 400-500 Calories per day to my diet. After about a week my energy was back, workout intensity came back up, and the weight started dropping off again rather quickly. More recently I found some success by cycling a few weeks at near a weight maintenance and back to a 1 lb per week loss goal to get the last couple pounds off to hit my goal weight.

When you have been on a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time, you will have lost weight but also have slowed your metabolism. Eating a couple hundred calories per day can jump start things, but the longer you have had your metabolism stalled the longer it can take to get going again. Whatever you decide to do, make the change and give it 3-4 weeks for your body to react.
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you're consistent with your calories and your macros are dialed in correctly and you're not losing weight... the only way to increase your deficit is to consume less calories or expend more calories through exercise.

Completely disagree. Your body is constantly adapting over time, trying to lose body mass as slowly as possible to give the best chance of survival in case of a prolonged famine (think human history and evolution). You have to find an optimal calorie deficit that provides enough food for your body to be relaxed, but that will allow you to lose weight. Trying to force the weight off by continually eating less and less is a great way to produce stress on the body.
    The point is, eat more, or eat less. Whatever you do, be consistent, track your progress, and make changes accordingly.

Absolutely.

Personally I hit a plateau in June after about 5 months and 40 lbs lost on MFP. I was consistent and accurate in what I was logging and maintaining my net calorie goal. Stopped losing weight for a few weeks, got tired more easily during my workouts and took a lot longer to recover my energy. I thought about it and decided having maintained a 2 lb per week loss goal (~1000 Calories a day deficit) was becoming too hard to maintain and be healthy. I dropped to a 1 lb per week loss goal, adding 400-500 Calories per day to my diet. After about a week my energy was back, workout intensity came back up, and the weight started dropping off again rather quickly. More recently I found some success by cycling a few weeks at near a weight maintenance and back to a 1 lb per week loss goal to get the last couple pounds off to hit my goal weight.

When you have been on a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time, you will have lost weight but also have slowed your metabolism. Eating a couple hundred calories per day can jump start things, but the longer you have had your metabolism stalled the longer it can take to get going again. Whatever you decide to do, make the change and give it 3-4 weeks for your body to react.

Yeah I've started trying to make it so that everyday I have the same or as close to the same amount of calories left over. That way my calorie intake isn't all over the place. Hopefully that'll help