Awaiting Bariatric Surgery

Options
I am currently awaiting insurance approval for gastric bypass, I have already begun a part liquid diet to lose the 25 pounds required before surgery. I am looking for friends who are also taking this journey so we may support each other through the process.

If you do not agree with bariatric surgery you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I am looking for support only, most people who don't agree with the bariatric surgery approach don't know all of the facts! Please keep it classy, thank you!

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is the way to go. My Aunt had this surgery and is a diabetic, she only gained a little bit back and although she doesn't look awesome because of the extra skin and even after it was removed because she couldn't lift weights, she is still doing great and is finally a healthy weight.
  • kingcesarrock
    kingcesarrock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that it is only a tool. I am 7 months in and can easily see how people foul it up and start gaining weight again. I started eating unhealthy recently and just slapped myself into my plan again. Its too easy to fail so stay strong. I stopped exercising and my weight loss almost came to a dead stop! No more, I cannot go back to what I was so I have to remind myself everyday why I went through all of this.
  • Heatherwood62
    Options
    I wish you much success! I am a supportive blogger and wish you a quick recovery. Yes... Keep positive people around you :-)
  • LadyOfTheRaven
    LadyOfTheRaven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. I had the vertical sleeve surgery on Dec 3rd 2010, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Right away, I dropped weight fast and it was encouraging. I really FELT the results and could see the changes in the mirror. The first 70lbs were really easy (which brought me below 200) to lose, since your stomach will be extremely tinier then before. Take each day at a time, and enjoy your new found health.
    Some of my best recommendations to you would be not count calories and nutrition during the first 4 weeks post-op, just concentrate on the types of foods you are eating and are allowed to eat during that time. I remember when I got out of surgery and could start eating again that I was freaking out over not getting enough protein, not eating enough carbs, or too much fat, etc... but really you need to not be stressed and listen to your new stomach.
    Secondly, once you are more healed and used to solids, start trying different foods and exploring alternatives. Do try your best to get all your protein in for the day. The more protein you can get the better, you will develop new eating habits this way. Since your stomach is smaller, you will need to get the same amounts of nutrients as before with less room! Protein shakes are a life saver till this day for me.
    I have recently started gaining back some of my weight loss, about 20 pounds this year. As a previous person stated before, you have to think of this surgery as a tool and not a solution. You can stretch out your stomach (mine is considerably larger then after the surgery) and you can still make the wrong choices. Take the time to do this right and don't give up even if you gain some of the weight back. The surgery WILL change your life, embrace it!
  • Taimarra
    Options
    Good luck on the approval and your journey! I've had a number of friends go through this with absolutely tremendous success (and one with some rather nasty complications, but they're actually due to a rare blood disease nobody knew she had pre-surgery.) While I don't feel it's the right choice for *me* personally, I know that it's absolutely the right choice for someone else. To get where you're at right now, you've obviously sat down and taken the time to make that decision and to know that it's the right thing to do for yourself, your health and your life.

While I won't necessarily be able to understand where you're coming from on everything surgery related, I'd be happy to be supportive of your weight loss and your journey if you want! Feel free to drop a friend request my way.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I see so many older people going in and they say they just wish that they had done it sooner so they could have enjoyed their life, that is why I am finally following through despite some peoples' disapproval, it's my life and I want to MOVE!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    KingCesarRock: Agreed! So many people think that bariatric surgery is a fix-all, but it still requires so much hard work and dedication... good for you for jumping back on the horse, keep up the good work!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    LadyOfTheRave: Yes! I have begun the part-liquid diet mandatory for pre-op and so far, so good! In all of my pre-op classes the instructor says it is extremely rare to not gain any weight post surgery once you hit the plateau phase... what's important is that you are taking responsibility for it and doing something about it, well done!
  • Lauriecz
    Lauriecz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started my liquid diet for my pro op, I am hapoing I am doing this right. Any advise? What kind of surgery were you getting?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have also had a VSG ("sleeve"). I have no regrets, but I echo what others have said. Surgery is a tool to lose the weight quickly. It is not a tool to maintain that weight loss.

I would highly recommend that you use MFP to it's fullest extent by tracking your calories/macros daily, starting a serious fitness routine, and seeking a counselor who specializes in disordered eating. Very few people became morbidly obese because they "like" food. Most of us have serious issues that have contributed to our compulsive eating.

My weight loss process has evolved over time from being focused on bariatric surgery and immediate weight loss to living a life full of healthy eating, moderation and fitness challenges. I have also processed a lot of the remnants from a very dysfunctional childhood/family of origin, which has helped me to find some peace, balance and emotional stability in my life.

Surgery is a one or two year fix, lifestyle and managing your compulsive eating habits is for the rest of your life.
  • Lauriecz
    Lauriecz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think this was a great post. I am currently awaitng my gastric sleeve surgery it is shedule for the 28th of this month. I am doing the protein liquid part of the pre op diet now. Its a little hard but I am know I have a great end goal in store me.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    most people who don't agree with the bariatric surgery approach don't know all of the facts!
    The "facts" you got from the people looking to cut you up for profit? Remember the word "patient" is just a euphemism for "customer".
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass August 16. 2012. My total weight loss is 101 pounds....53 since surgery. I wish I had done this years ago.

The thing is you need to follow what your doctor and dietician tell you to do. I have slipped some and gained 3 pounds. Easy enough to get back on track, but I now see how people gain weight back. You have to look at it as a lifestyle change. The surgery alone will not work unless you put the work into it.

It is so worth it. I have another 20 pounds to hit my surgeon's goal....and another 40 after that to hit my goal.

Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Rainie4
    Rainie4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I had gastric sleeve resection 9/21/12 and post op have lost 42.2 lbs, I am well on my way and would love to be added as your friend. The biggest thing for me was The first month post op I was miserable, lactose intolerant, could only drink liquids solids didn't agree with me, and sore! Hand in there it was well worth it!
  • laurithern
    laurithern Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also had the gastric sleeve surgery in 2009 and feel that this was the best decision I have ever made. I am a chronic dieter. I've been obese and morbidly obese since I was 7 years old. Nothing worked long term for me. I always felt overwhelmed at the fact that I needed to lose over 100 lbs and when I would start yet another diet and lose a few, or a lot I gained it right back. I needed the surgery to save my life as I could not do it on my own. Good luck to you. I wish you a quick recovery. If you have any questions I would love to be your bariatric buddy.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I do wish you all the best of luck. I have a friend who just did it and while in the hospital she said "DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID THIS SURGERY". She has done very well but she does not recommend it unless it is the last ditch hope for health reasons. She has multiple health issues that affected weight lose so for her the surgery was the end if she wanted to gain control.

One tip if people are going to go through with it. Eat as much protein as you can. My friend is losing her hair even though she's following her Rx meal plan.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am currently awaiting insurance approval for gastric bypass, I have already begun a part liquid diet to lose the 25 pounds required before surgery. I am looking for friends who are also taking this journey so we may support each other through the process.

If you do not agree with bariatric surgery you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I am looking for support only, most people who don't agree with the bariatric surgery approach don't know all of the facts! Please keep it classy, thank you!

Is the liquid diet a requirement pre-op to lose 25 lbs or you just have to lose 25 lbs prior to surgery?

I ask this because I know 3 people who had gastric bypass and 1 who had the lap-band. All 4 of them lost intial weight but then gained a lot of weight back. The reason for that was they never learned to eat properly to begin with.

The one who had the lap-band finally realized she needed to exercise and change her eating habits and 3 years after the procedure she finally started losing weight and maintaining it.

One girl who had the gastric bypass never learned the proper way to eat and lost 50 lbs at first but gained back even more than that.

My male friend was 400lbs, went down to 180 and levelled out at 230.

MFP is a great way to teach you what you are putting in your body as it makes you accountable for your food. It really taught me how to maintain myself.

If you pre-op requirement is to lose 25lbs and it does not have to be done with a liquid diet, I suggest really utilizing MFP to be successful after surgery.