I need to increase my fat, lower my carbs - any ideas?

Hi
I am aiming for 20% protein, 40% fat and 40% carbs on the advice of a nutritionist I saw- I'm more like 60% carbs, 20 fat, 20 protein.
Fruit is a big culprit, I love to have it with fage yogurt in the morning, so much better than the bagels I used
to eat back in the day. My diary is open to the public.
Any suggestions you make would be appreciated.
I don't believing in following diets per se, I'm changing my eating habits.
Donna

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Do you know why he/she has you eating 40% fat? That's pretty high. And only 20% protein? Protein is essential to building lean body mass. I'm just curious why you were told to eat those percentages because it's not very balanced.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Fish oil will increase healthy fat intake. I agree 20% protein is too low.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Nuts will give you high fat and low carb.

Choose your yoghurt wisely - don't go for the low-fat added sugar varieties (sugar equals carbs).

And watch portion size with fruits. Go for berries rather than bananas and apples.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Do you know why he/she has you eating 40% fat? That's pretty high. And only 20% protein? Protein is essential to building lean body mass. I'm just curious why you were told to eat those percentages because it's not very balanced.
    Please explain balanced. There is nothing wrong with those %'s. I would suggest you look ketogenic based diets. That being said, stick to fatty meats (salmon, fattier cuts of steak, dark meat chicken, whole eggs) nuts and nut butters are not good sources of fats while going keto.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Please explain balanced. There is nothing wrong with those %'s. I would suggest you look ketogenic based diets. That being said, stick to fatty meats (salmon, fattier cuts of steak, dark meat chicken, whole eggs) nuts and nut butters are not good sources of fats while going keto.

^ this ^

It's pretty easy to hit fat macros with stuff like salmon and ribeye. you can also use virgin coconut oil, olive oil. Avocados.
    Bacon.

Do you mean 20 carb 40 protein 40 fat maybe?

and 40% fat isn't that high. It just seems weird when we're used to eating so much bread and sugar and other garbage.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374

With what you just said she would probably be way over 20% protein fairly quickly. That is why the above poster was questioning her macros. I think you read it backword. Either that, or she typed it backwards.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Red meat. High protein, amount of fat varies depending on the type/cut, but is generally higher than other proteins, no carbs.

a 6oz tenderloin probably has as much fat and protein in it as you get in a day right now.

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Personally I use chicken, fish and peanut and almond butters to control my carbs and increase my fats.
  • divadonna
    divadonna Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. The nutritionist says that it's research based. I was previously on a 35% high protein that my personal trainer had me on, it didn't work for me. I am going to look into this more myself - the research. I eat no bread, cereal, desserts other than fruit, so all the usual culprits I've eliminated. Yes, 20 protein, 40 fat, carbs.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Huh, weird.
    How is eating less protein going to help you? I'm curious at the logic behind that.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Avocado has those nice healthy fats and you can add it to almost everything :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    From what I understand, your body can only really use a certain amount of protein for building/repairing lean mass. The rest just gets used as energy.

However, I know the number is a lot higher than 20% of your intake, unless you're eating a LOT of calories every day, which you wouldn't be if you're trying to lose weight.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Avocados, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt- High in good fat, lower carbs and high protein!

Walnuts are also good for a crunch!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    I started a Whole30 about 12 days ago and am pretty close to the percentages you're aiming for. I've halved my carbs and doubled my fat by adding avocados, guacamole, olives, ghee, and almond butter to my diet on a daily basis. And somehow I'm eating about 300 fewer cals a day than I was before.

-Cynthia
  • divadonna
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200
    after reviewing this article from Mayo clinic i decided

25 protein
    30 fat
    45 carbs

I will use your suggestions on lower carbs, higher fat, I can easily do 25% protein..
    Thanks for prompting me to look at this..
    Donna
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    nuts, peanut butter, full fat cheese, full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, Olive oil
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member

With what you just said she would probably be way over 20% protein fairly quickly. That is why the above poster was questioning her macros. I think you read it backword. Either that, or she typed it backwards.
    You're correct. I was just listing the food choices.
  • divadonna
    I am happy to say that I was successful in decreasing carbs and increasing fat last week. Thanks.:smooched:
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    I do high fat and protein and low carbs myself...but for the healthy fats, pumpkin seeds, avocados (yum!), olive oil (I use flavored evoo, like Mediterranean flavor, garlic, truffle oil, and put that on my greens along with my other veggies and a protein for an awesome salad.) olive oil has high fat per tsp. Also, I save my fats from other meals I have cooked, for example, lean ground beef fat, seasoned with whatever seasoning you like and then sauteing veggies in it. Or bacon fat is yum too.