Nutrition novice, cereal junkie

Sup everyone

So, I'm a little confused (blame this on my nutrition novice state). I'm trying to learn more about nutrition and eat better so I can have great results. Is cereal for breakfast good/okay?

I eat 2 servings of Cocoa Puffs (1 1/2 cup) with a cup of 2% milk damn near every morning. I dont get alot of carbs during the rest of the day (for the most part), so I'm wondering if I can keep up my cocoa puff love. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    If it fits in your calories and the rest of your day includes fruits, veggies, other healthy non-processed food, then go for it.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Well, it's quite high in refined sugars.

Not all cereals are the same. Why not look for puffed rice cereal that is just plain puffed brown rice, with no sugar/salt etc. added? Or have oats instead.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Well, it's quite high in refined sugars.

Not all cereals are the same. Why not look for puffed rice cereal that is just plain puffed brown rice, with no sugar/salt etc. added? Or have oats instead.
    Ew lol. Defeats the purpose of Cocoa Puffs

I say, if it fits your macros, go at it. Yes it may be higher in sugar, but if you are following the plan correctly, sugar is really irrelevant (in most cases) as long as you hit your carbs, fats, and proteins.
  • Not ideal, but maybe you can try this:

¾ to 1 cup Nature’s Path Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola cereal, 1 cup of Silk Almond Milk, you can top with 1/2-1 cup sliced berries.

This breakfast has about 486 calories, but will also include protein and just overall help you achieve your goals faster. I did this breakfast for 3 months. With my diet I lost about 30 pounds in about 3 months

Hope that helps
  • Lol. I'm following the plan, so it fits, but I wasn't sure if it was still okay. I may have to make a slow (emphasis on slow) transition to a better cereal, but I definitely had cocoa puffs for breakfast this morning. Though, thanks for the advice :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Lol. I'm following the plan, so it fits, but I wasn't sure if it was still okay. I may have to make a slow (emphasis on slow) transition to a better cereal, but I definitely had cocoa puffs for breakfast this morning. Though, thanks for the advice :)
    That's all that matters then. I won't tell you that there isn't heartier, more nutrient-dense breafast out there, but if this is what works for you stick with it.