Night Work Outs?

Options
I have a jacked up sleep schedule...merely because...? I am a night person? I don't know. I try to get to bed at a normal hour [as I know sleep/good sleep is important for weight loss]

But lately I am the most awake / motivated in the middle of the night. And it keeps happening that I will want to go to bed around 11 or 12 but having procrastinated all day, i decide that THEN it is necessary to do the work out I either did not have time to do or was putting off all day...so at 1:35 am I finished 50 mins of work out [I did workout 1 and the first 11 mins of work out 2 on 30 day shred, plus ten mins of yoga/stretching if this matters to anyone]

Anyway, I wonder, is it working against me to do these spontaneous work outs in the middle of the night, or does it not matter and is good that I'm even doing them at all, no matter what time of day it is?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There is no way in hell I am getting out of bed at 5am to exercise - I am a night exerciser too, although not as late as you. I don't think it matters when it happens, as long as it happens.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just did my workout, its midnight.

I am the same as you. I wish it was safe to go running outside at this hour! Because I'm a night hawk, and would WAY rather do everything at night.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I work out at night too. But I wouldn't do it quite so late because it can keep you up longer. Just a thought!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The only way it would be bad is if it's keeping you awake. I can't stand working out in the mornings either. And as I work night shift right now, the middle of the night is perfect on my days off. I don't normally workout on my nights I work unless it's me pushing the pill pass cart. That can be a workout, especially at 6 months pregnant!

Generally, so long as you are doing it, your body doesn't care. The same with eating. Sure, it makes it harder to sleep for some people, but stopping eating 2-3 hours before bed has no real weight loss benefits, it's just a personal preference. The same goes for exercise. I've always been more of a later person myself, so when I first started this journey, I got a membership to a gym that had 24 hour access. That way, if I got in the mood to work out, I could just go and do. I miss having a gym membership, honestly.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    hooray I'm not alone! Yeah sometimes I really want to go for a jog at night simply because I live in FL and it's really hot / sweaty when the sun is out no matter what season it is...so it's just nicer all around to go at night but I don't because of safetyness. Wish I had a night-jog buddy!
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm with you I loved working out at night after putting my daughter to bed. My gym wasn't so crowded and I could do all the machines without all the craziness going on. Take a warm shower and would sleep very well...
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    yeah I miss gym-membership...but I do have a big claw foot tub...I do my work out then chill in there and get all sleepy...of course I derail that by coming back online but ah...*runs away* haha
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Lol that's because u came online to get helpful info...sounds legit lol!!!