Losing weight and daily amounts

Options
Hiya

I started looking after myself early August, using mfp and exercisiing. I was exercising a lot up until two weeks ago when I damaged my back. But since I've not been exercising, my calorie intake has still been reduced and over the last three weeks I have lost 8lbs. I am supposed to be losing 1lb a week.

19/9 - 3lbs, 26/9 - 1lb, 3/10 - 4lbs

I feel that this is too much, especially as I am starting back up exercising tomorrow (normally mountain biking/road cycling 1hr ish)

Any ideas about what would be best? Is this much weight loss so quickly that good for me?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you feel it is to much, eat more! you dont say what your starting weight is or how much you want to lose, but i dont really see it as a problem. your body is probably enjoying the rest!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I've set my counter up for 2lbs a week and after 5weeks I'm averaging 5lbs a week. Yes in a short space of time that's a lot, however it all depends on how heavy you were to start with and any change in diet is likely to have an immediate impact but in time it will level out and you'll struggle to shift the weight.

Enjoy it while it's happening :)
  • FitWendi
    FitWendi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When you exercise you are building muscle and losing fat. You could be continuing to lost the fat and not building muscle. Also sometimes we hit a plateau where we stop losing weight and sometime we can hit a zone where we lose extra weight.
    If you continue to lose weight too quickly then I would be more concerned.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What's your secret? I'm eating at a deficit and exercising and didn't lose a pound in September. :(
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I started at 192lbs, now 171lbs. Daily allowance is 1610 and I am invariably there, or there abouts. I've not gone over for weeks. My diary should now be open for advice!

Should I wait and see what happens next week?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you exercise, you retain water... so when you stop you lose water.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would just keep doing what you're doing. My guess is that you're trying to loose weight.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I started at 192lbs, now 171lbs. Daily allowance is 1610 and I am invariably there, or there abouts. I've not gone over for weeks. My diary should now be open for advice!

Should I wait and see what happens next week?

I would suggest upping your protein and cutting some carbs. It helps retain lbm.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

seriously?
  • psuLemon
    Options

seriously?

Yes, your body needs additional water/glycogen to repair your muscles. So what do you think happens when you stop working out? It stops storing the additional water. This may cause a 2-5 lb lose in weight.

This is why it is not uncommon to see weight loss when you take a break from diet and exercise.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

seriously?

Yes, your body needs additional water/glycogen to repair your muscles. So what do you think happens when you stop working out? It stops storing the additional water. This may cause a 2-5 lb lose in weight.

This is why it is not uncommon to see weight loss when you take a break from diet and exercise.

This is absolutely the case. The OP would not have gained a significant amount of muscle in that perod of time and through mountain biking and may have continue to lose a pound or 2 from calories deficit but the balance is water. If I take a 1 week break from my workouts, I lose 4 to 5 lbs, which got right back on as soon as I start again. It's a pretty common phenomena and one of the reasons you see so many posts that ask, "why is this happening, I've cut calories and started working out and my weight went up???"
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That is really good to know! I do not want to lose this much and have got back on my bike tonight. would be happy to get a little back on! just a little though! thank you so much for this!

sent by my etch-a-sketch