what comes first? cardio or strength?

Options
I just got Jillian Michaels dvds including 30 day shred, no more trouble zones, and banish fat and boost metabolism! Love them! My question is what should I start with if i want to do two a day? I know 30 day shred had a combo of cardio and strength using light weights and is only about 20 mins, banish fat is all cardio about 40 min, and no more trouble zones is mostly strength about 40 min! What should i be doing first in order to lose weight and get a sufficient exercise, strength or cardio? Thanks!!

Replies

• DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A mix of both cardio and strength training. A lot depends on your schedule, do you have the time everyday to fit it in.

Cardio will burn calories immediately with a little burn effect after you are done, whereas strength training will burn while you are doing and have longer effect after you are done.

Depending on your goals and how quickly you want to go, you could do cardio in the morning, strength train in the evening, cardio you could do everyday.
    Strength training you need to go for every other day, assuming you are doing a full body routine and not a split routine.

Obviously the most important key is your diet. Make sure you are in deficit of calories to lose weight.

most important it will take time so be patient, listen to your body and you will succeed.

Success is based on you feeling and seeing a difference. Don't rely solely on the scale.

Hope that helps and good luck on your journey!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the above post in that it's best to keep a mix and watch your diet.

As far as the "what comes first" aspect in regards to doing multiple workouts a day, the advice I've usually recieved is to do the strength component first. The reason is that strength components (and I'm talking about calisthenics / weights / resistance training) tend to require a more precise form for maximum benefit. While you don't want to have so bad form that you fall over during cardio, because it's goal is to get your heart pumping, you can usually afford to let form suffer a little bit. By doing strength first, you maximize your body's energy and ability to execute proper form.

I've also heard that by doing resistance and then cardio (back to back), you can maximize the fat burned during cardio because the resistance / strength training would have burned much of the glycogen stores, causing your body to turn to your fat stores sooner in that session.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Perfect thanks!