Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Used to be 9. Now its only 4
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Two - French and English. Learning Russian and German as they're also a part of my heritage :).
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    english, german, swiss-german, spanish, tagalog and now learning french. i suppose if i wanna stretch it, i could say i understand some italian too.

oh and on the swiss-german...it's a dialect of german spoken by the swiss. but my viewpoint on speaking swiss-german is that i spent way too much time and money learning proper german so i refuse to speak swiss-german but i will gladly engage in conversations so long as i can respond in proper german.

and after you learn a second language (aside from your mother tongue) properly, the rest come easy. it's like your mind is just open and trained to learn the semantics of languages.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Four - English, Urdu, French, German...working on learning Arabic now...

Yay, Arabic!
  • ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I speak 4: English, Spanish, Protuguese and French. :)
  • cmdrmanders
    cmdrmanders Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know English, Spanish, minimal Japanese (still learning), and I'm learning to speak Elvish. (Yes the kind of Elvish you hear in Lord Of The Rings, it's fun to learn :D)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I was born in The Dominican Republic so i speak Spanish. My husband is Filipino and I learned Tagalog. And I also speak English.
    Same here :D I'm half Mexican-Filipina & I learned to speak Spanish thru my Dad & grandma and also I got a lot of friends from Mexico, Spain & South America. Since I live in the Philippines so I have to speak Tagalog & English (though I'm not fluent on that one)
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    2 fluently, English and Irish (Gaeilge) and am fairly good with French.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I know ENGLISH because I learned the alphabet
    and can repeat a few words/phrases....

[pet peeve when someone lists SIGN w/ this same idea...oh I know Sign]

Personally, I'm not even sure I'd say I know ENGLISH (or at least speak it fluently) after 50 some years

because I still confuse people with what I say-:laugh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am planning to teach my nieces and nephews different languages that their parents don't know and that will be simply an "our" language. Like I will be teaching one of my nephew Arabic, another Sindhi etc. My mother did that to me with Arabic and I always thought it was cool and allowed me to confide in her with many things. My nieces and nephews should have some adult that they can confide in too!
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1.2 languages...lol

I speak English fluently
    I can understand and read french marginally, but want to become fluent...

I also want to learn spanish and italian

Does Rosetta Stone work??
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

English, (Dutch that I am losing, and various Spanish and Italian)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hindi, Bengali, Oriya, Tamil, Nepali, Thai, Khmer (beginner level) French ( i can get by), Spanish ( still learning)
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I speak Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, and English. Hoping to add Greek in my lifetime!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Native English (both Ye Olde English and Amurrkan English), fluent Spanish.

I can understand Italian, French, and Portuguese pretty well from the Spanish fluency, but I can't speak them.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    One. I took 2 years of Spanish and know just a bit. lol
  • Methinksabout
    Options
    native German, fluent English, and some basic french (needs refreshing though)
    Love languages, but living in England messed with my ability to think in any other language - need to pick up on french again soon or am going to lose it compeltely.. done some courses in spanish and greek as well, but my abilities there are not really worth mentioning..
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. English - native language

2. Spanish - it's not the greatest, but I can get by if I have to.

3. My father and his entire side of my family is from the swamps of Louisiana, so although I refuse to speak it, I can translate Cajun-talk for you.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Native- English (American, though I am known for throwing in British spelling on things like colour...) When I speak, I have a unique accent that is a mix of Wisconsin (Canada Light-eh, dontchaknow...and ALL o's have TWO syllables) and southern texas (all y'all want to friend me now?)

NEAR Native ASL (I'm not a CODA but I play one on TV! -...seriously)

elementary Spanish (Fluent receptive,...totally struggle with expressive. Would LOVE to get fluent, though I don't believe I want to be tri-lingual at work. Just for my OWN benefit)
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I try to speak Spanish but I always get...

you-keep-using-those-words.jpg