Weigh-ins - How Often?

Options
I'm just curious - how often do y'all weigh in? :) I weigh in roughly once a week, as I don't believe you get a consistent/reliable result by weighing in every day (and I'd just get upset if I weighed a bit more than the previous day because of waste materials, water retention, etc.). I also take my measurements weekly. You? :)

Replies

• Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I record my weight once a week, but I do weigh myself more often. Fluctuations don't bother me, as I know the overall trend is in the right direction. (Although I think my scales are out to get me this week, as I was apparently 1 1/2 lb heavier on my weigh-in morning then the days either side! Same time, same conditions etc. Oh well, that should make this coming week a better one...! :laugh: )
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I aim for once a week (and only weigh in at mfp once a week), but actually end up weighing myself every other day.... it's a bad habit that i need to stop. :grumble:
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i weigh every day just out of curiosity of my weight fluctuations
  • Kguide
    Kguide Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday for two reasons. As you said one weigh in is not reliable, so if you do it once a week who is to say that one time is reliable. The scientific approached is to do it daily. I also do it everyday as it motivates me and I need that motivation daily. I perfectly understand why some people stay away from daily weigh ins and that's fine but for me the emotional part of it is irrelevant in favor of the scientific.
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Keeps me in check.
  • treineck
    treineck Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It helps me stay focused - if it's down from the day before it makes me happy, and if it hasn't changed or gone up, it reminds me to make sure I have a good day and make the right choices! It works for me, but do what you are happy with - and I don't take measurements as of right now but I'm going to start! Good Luck!
  • Bonnyr1971
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, hoping to see a bigger number than if I weighed daily :smile:
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    I record it every friday morning in an 'official weigh-in', but keep an eye on it daily to make sure things are not going awry during the week.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh everyday, but I record it once a week. Yes, it might sometimes be upsetting to weigh every day and see all those daily fluctuations, but if I don't, I get complacent. Weighing every day keeps me on my game.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing months ago having been driven mad by daily/weekly check-ins.

I can feel the progress by the fit of my clothes.

I'll weigh myself, for reference, once the jiggly bits that shouldn't stop jiggling.

The number is unimportant.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning, to see if there are any trends up or down. I only count the Monday morning weigh in. This keeps me straight on the weekends.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily :ohwell:

Ive tried to do it weekly or monthly but its always an epic failure
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi weigh myself once a week - usually on a Wednesday and I take my measurements once a month:smile:
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself each a.m. but only log it on MFP Thursdays. Helps keep me in check. I can say the words "the number on the scale isn't important" but I know I wouldn't be happy weighing outside of my comfort zone. I have my range where I feel good in my clothes and about myself and that's what matters. Do what works for you!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Every day for the same reasons some other folks said. For now, I also take a day off from diet/exercise, so seeing the fluctuations is interesting.

I think once I reach goal, I may only weigh weekly just to make sure I'm staying on track.

edit: I am also neurotic and update MFP every time my weight goes down, even if it goes back up a little the next day. I claim the lowest number!
  • dexfatpants
    dexfatpants Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I aim for once a week (and only weigh in at mfp once a week), but actually end up weighing myself every other day.... it's a bad habit that i need to stop. :grumble:

Yep....same here.
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    It's not the weight that's important it's the body composition. E.g. A body builder weighs eighteen stone as does a bariatric. What does the number on the scale actually tell you?
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i was a wrestler for 8 years so it kind of messed me up for life. if there is a scale near me, i weigh myself. this was due to having to watch my weight and cut weight all the time. so sometimes i end up weighing myself upwards of 10 times a day. at least i know exactly where my weight is and how im doing constantly, but i would not recommend doing this.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So far, daily. I expect the changes that will come with it. I also find if I don't, I lose motivation because I FEEL so heavy all week, I feel like nothing is happening. But if I see the downward trend I know I am doing good. I wear my clothing loose so the feel of it doesn't help me much because I just can't tell anything much in the span of a week.

It has also allowed me to see how important my water is. On the days I don't drink much, I tend to gain on the scale the next day. But if I stay uber hydrated, I lose the next day. Seem counter intuitive but it has held true each time for me. So I have been trying to stay faithful with my water.
  • Lola7791
    Lola7791 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I do a true weigh in once a week on Mondays.