Does anyone run on their toes?

Options
I was watching a few people jog/run and noticed that a few people run on their toes. I never saw their heel touch the ground. I tried it on the treadmill but not sure about it. I am new to jogging/running and it is very difficult for me to do more than a couple of minutes at a time. I have been alternating walking with a short jog in between. I just need any tips that will make it an easier transition. I start gasping for air pretty quick! I am determined to one day be able to run at least a mile.

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That isn't good for your skeleton in the long run. You are meant to strike with your heel first.
  • Bigsur2
    Bigsur2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I"m not a runner but when I DO jog, I alternate b/w running normal and running on the balls of my feet. Seems to create a different pressure and gives relief to other parts of my feet and body. Once you get used to it, you might like it. I have read before that it's healthier to run on your toes, but I'm no expert. That's why I'm a cyclist...only one way to pedal :)
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I see a girl running on her toes each week, and I can't do. I concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and breathing steadily to try and avoid getting a stitch. I try not to let the heel hit first, personal preference.

It will get better for you, and you're doing the right stuff, you just need to keep on with it. Try getting a stop watch or a heart rate monitor and doing a minute walk, a minute jog, and so on. Eventually you'll be able to increase your jog intervals, and reduce your walk intervals. It really does work. At the start of the year I couldn't run for sh1t. Now I just completed my first 5k without walking.

Good luck!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    This technique is only really supposed to be used for sprinting. Any long distance running you should be aiming to land mid-foot, underneath your centre of gravity.

A good test to see if you''re doing it right is to run across sand - you should have a balanced foot print - not a hole at the back where you heal strike (its rare to land toe first)
  • azwethinkweizm
    azwethinkweizm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think running on your toes is for fast running/sprinting - are you running or jogging? Don't try to hit the ground heel first - can get a lot of injuries from this. Try to hit with the middle of your foot... if you concentrate on doing it like that for a while you should just get used to it and it'll come naturally :)
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That isn't good for your skeleton in the long run. You are meant to strike with your heel first.

Um....no. Heel striking is not good. One should naturally mid-foot strike. We heel strike because its easier and most people do it because they're fatigued.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My son is a "toe-walker" he has shortened calf tendons. We have been doing PT with him 1x a week along with daily stretching. Trying to avoid having to get him leg braces to keep his foot in a flexed position. He always walks/runs/stands on his toes. Maybe they also have something along that line where it's just more comfortable for them to be on their toes where they don't put so much tension on the calf. Just a thought.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This technique is only really supposed to be used for sprinting. Any long distance running you should be aiming to land mid-foot, underneath your centre of gravity.

A good test to see if you''re doing it right is to run across sand - you should have a balanced foot print - not a hole at the back where you heal strike (its rare to land toe first)
    ^^^This.

Let your leg swing naturally under you and let your foot land under your body, not in front of it which would cause a braking action. You should find you naturally land mid-foot, the rest of your foot absorbs the impact, then you push off on the next step.

Forced heel landing, especially in beginner runners who think that's what you're supposed to do, can lead to discomfort and injury including shin splints and plantar fasciitis.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Speaking of side stiches... my daughter gets them really bad but I've only had a few. Are they always on the right side? We were wondering if so and why? Just curious.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Ummmmm no you are not. Doing that puts more shock to your knees, hips & shins. It can cause more injury than anything else. You are NATURALLY meant to run on your mid-foot...try it barefoot.... you will NOT strike heel 1st. Please don't give that advice to anyone that they should.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html

The link above has a great discussion on heel vs. toe running. I used to land on my heels. Last year when I tried to switch to toe running I pulled both calf muscles simultaneously and I have not been able to run for almost a year. If you are just starting be very careful and start SLOW!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    run intervals. that will help you run farther longer. I just started running in march. Up until August I was doing intervals, then i started training for a half marathon.....Last saturday I ran 6.5miles straight.

running on toes - don't do it. It's not good for you. there's a guy in my training group that does it and he has all kinds of issues. He's used to it, and it's hard for him to change, but my trainers tell us all it's not the natural form - should go heel to toe. You should not be landing on the ball of of your foot.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options

not necessarily... if you watch the british guy who won the olympic triathlon, he ran the entire distance on his toes. all I could think was how strong his calves must be!

personally for me though, i find it awkward, so i go heel-toe if ever I do run or jog (which is rarely).
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    We are designed for our ball/midfoot to hit the ground first. Try running barefoot outside for just a short distance, you'll see. Shoes messed us all up.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I strive for a mid-foot strike and actively attempt for a neutral pronation. A heel strike sends shock waves up my medial tibias, which then leads to overwhelming inflammation and pain. After x-rays, MRIs, and countless doctors and fitness professionals poking and prodding my shins, this is the only solution that works.

Watch Olympic runners. Sprinters don't let their heels touch the ground. Longer distance runners oftentimes don't heel strike either, but they're not all the way on their toes. Watch little kids running... they don't heel strike either. They're usually mid-foot, meaning they land on the balls of their feet.

I also ice my shins after every run.
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Um....no. Heel striking is not good. One should naturally mid-foot strike. We heel strike because its easier and most people do it because they're fatigued.

yes can cause injury....I run on my toes when i am doing my sprints
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I guess its more of a jog. I want to run though. I will continue to plug along and hopefully get there soon. It's starting to get cooler outside so the gym membership will come in handy. I struggle to try and remember how to breathe while trying to concentrate on my feet? I still can not breathe in through my nose. I feel like I am going to sufficate. I have to breathe through my mouth. Does anyone else do that?
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Speaking of side stiches... my daughter gets them really bad but I've only had a few. Are they always on the right side? We were wondering if so and why? Just curious.

From what I understand, stitch is a type of cramp caused by not getting enough oxygen to the muscles. Focus on taking deep breaths (which is best done by breathing out as much as you can - breathing in is natural!) and they will pass quite quickly.
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tend to run on my toes when I am climbing hills or sprinting....
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I picture myself with a rocking chair for a foot. Heel, then slowly roll to toes, trying to keep perfect form in my legs. My knees hurt less and i can run faster. If you focus on form, or moving correctly in anything you do, you find that things are 100% easier (plus after practice you don't have to worry about form, it just comes naturally!)

And when i sprint its more on the ball of my food (i guess below my toes) so i can take pressure off my knees.