loosing inches, but scale isnt moving?? (with PIC)

2»

Replies

• Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    but scale isnt moving!!! lol but from what im seeing on here the inches are what matters :-)

You are correct, keep up the great work! And READ that thread I linked earlier, that lovely lady posted photos of her weighing MORE but having the jeans she was happy to fit into at her goal weight be super lose on her. It's a good visualization.
  • babytlow32886
    babytlow32886 Posts: 27 Member
    but scale isnt moving!!! lol but from what im seeing on here the inches are what matters :-)

You are correct, keep up the great work! And READ that thread I linked earlier, that lovely lady posted photos of her weighing MORE but having the jeans she was happy to fit into at her goal weight be super lose on her. It's a good visualization.

ok def will be reading sometime today
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

I . . . just . . . can't . . . take . . . it

Okay, yes the woman that you linked to does weigh more now because she lifts heavy, but it took her several months to put on her lean mass, women maybe top out at 2.5 pounds of lean mass gained per month in a bulk when they are really really working at lifting heavy and eating perfectly like it . . . you don't gain that much mass doing cardio work (30DS is cardio). Granted with your newbie status you could be experiencing greater than normal gains (which may happen on a deficit when you're a newbie lifter AND have a lot to lose)

My guess is that your muscles are retaining water during the repair process, which is a different sort of retention than that due to sodium (which, by the way, may be another reason your body is holding onto pounds but not inches). Set your diary to look at sodium, I can't tell right now. At the rate that you are under eating you should be seeing less pounds on the scale. Eat more soluable fiber (that's one of my issues too), and I suspect that you'll be seeing the pounds come off over the next 2 weeks as your body starts to normalize to your new lifestyle.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Okay, yes the woman that you linked to does weigh more now because she lifts heavy, but it took her several months to put on her lean mass, women maybe top out at 2.5 pounds of lean mass gained per month in a bulk when they are really really working at lifting heavy and eating perfectly like it . . . you don't gain that much mass doing cardio work (30DS is cardio). Granted with your newbie status you could be experiencing greater than normal gains (which may happen on a deficit when you're a newbie lifter AND have a lot to lose)

My guess is that your muscles are retaining water during the repair process, which is a different sort of retention than that due to sodium (which, by the way, may be another reason your body is holding onto pounds but not inches). Set your diary to look at sodium, I can't tell right now. At the rate that you are under eating you should be seeing less pounds on the scale. Eat more soluable fiber (that's one of my issues too), and I suspect that you'll be seeing the pounds come off over the next 2 weeks as your body starts to normalize to your new lifestyle.
    If you click on the printable version, you can see sodium. She's anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 mg on a given day over the last week.

OP -- 2,500 should be the limit most days. You aren't super high, but you may see a change if you cut back and drink a lot of water.
  • babytlow32886
    babytlow32886 Posts: 27 Member

If you click on the printable version, you can see sodium. She's anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 mg on a given day over the last week.

OP -- 2,500 should be the limit most days. You aren't super high, but you may see a change if you cut back and drink a lot of water.

i will def take a look into my sodium intake and make sure i cut down thanks for the information
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    I will gain a 1-2 lbs every time my waist gets smaller, I like the measuring tape better than my scale
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    My thoughts on this are : EVERYONE sees it when you lose inches
    YOU'RE the only one that ever sees the scales.
    Choose. I know what I would choose! Congratulations on your loss 0 stay strong!!!
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    I saw your photos...my friend gets her body composition done..she looks approximately 80lbs less...but weighs only 20lbs less...she is building lean muscle like nobody's business, has a personal trainer and works like a fiend....

throw out the scale....it is irrelevant.

C
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    to those who are saying muscle weights more than fat are incorrect. a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, although a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat since it is more dense than fat.

Weight per volume silly. It's pretty self explanitory that a POUND of fat = a POUND of muscle.

How much volume does 10 lbs of packing peanuts occupy compared to 10 lbs of gold? The point is, she's losing inches, but weighing the same, thus her overall volume is decreasing. She would displace less water if placed in a bath or hot tub.

well i would hope that it would be self explanatory but a lot of people do not understand that muscle is more dense than fat. I know it, others know it, but not everyone understands it. sometimes it has to be laid out plain and simple.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    to those who are saying muscle weights more than fat are incorrect. a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, although a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat since it is more dense than fat.

Weight per volume silly. It's pretty self explanitory that a POUND of fat = a POUND of muscle.

How much volume does 10 lbs of packing peanuts occupy compared to 10 lbs of gold? The point is, she's losing inches, but weighing the same, thus her overall volume is decreasing. She would displace less water if placed in a bath or hot tub.

well i would hope that it would be self explanatory but a lot of people do not understand that muscle is more dense than fat. I know it, others know it, but not everyone understands it. sometimes it has to be laid out plain and simple.

Really? Please find me one person who doesn't realize that a pound of feathers does not equal a pound of cement in weight. It's only brought up because people like to fight about the difference between volume and density and weight. It's a tiresome arguement because the consensus at the end of each discussion is always the same "we know, we know, but we still like saying it this way anyway."
  • If anyone doubts that it's about shape rather than weight then think about this...

1lb of corn seed takes up far less space than 1lb of popped corn or (pop corn), this is exactly the same as muscle and fat, the muscle would be the corn in seed form and the fat the pop corn.

or in a scientific way (borrowed from another forum!)...

"When you hear some one say Muscle weighs more then fat they are referring to the same volume of muscle vs the same volume of Fat. People get carried away with the 1lb of lead and 1lb of feathers concept and turn around and say that muscle and fat weigh the same!

The same volume of muscle does not weigh the same volume of fat. How much more space does a 1lb of feathers take up then a block of lead! what would you rather be made of feathers (soft and fluffy and light, taking up lots of space) or lead (compact, dense, and heavy and taking up minimal space)

The science behind it is that Fat takes up approximately 18% more space than Muscle. so for 1 L of muscle weighs = 1.06 kg and 1.18L of Fat weighs = 1.06 kg

if you have 5 kg (11 lb) of muscle = 5 L 5kg (11) of Fat = 5.9 L"

This cleared it up in my mind, muscle is good because it takes up less space which equals smaller clothes sizes and looking leaner, hope this helps anyone else struggling with the concept like I was lol
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    The scale hasn't moved for me either, but I am losing inches. I have noticed a difference in the way my clothes fit, and I look more toned in my legs and arms (belly is a whole different story lol). Just keep going and working hard :-)
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Gaining muscle, losing fat.. WTG! :-D Don't worry, you're doing great!
  • empowerme12
    empowerme12 Posts: 32 Member
    Okay I just looked at your side by side picture and call me crazy but I definitely see a difference. Be encouraged and just know that as long as you are doing your part change will and must happen.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    You can see the difference!:)Don't get so caught up in the weight.I have been doing the same thing,but went down a pant size.YOU ARE LOOKING GREAT!<KEEP UP THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE!:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!