in need of kid friendly gluten free recipes....

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
my almost 6 year old was just diagnosed with celiacs. I am in need to recipes that are kid friendly. He is a super picky child as it is and i am wanting to be able to try a few new ones to hopefully open up his outlook on things once this transition takes place.

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey, Have you tried using Quinoa, its so versatile, and a gluten free protien, I make all sorts of things with it,
  • lin7604
    Options
    no i haven't yet... i bought some to make a soup but i still haven't done so. I am unsure of how to use it and make/ mix it with what items, etc i know my son will look at it and go " eww" but i know i wan t to eat it :) i hear you have to rinse it 1st but how do you do that since it's so tiny?
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    So what I do is a rinse mine under a sieve, so they dont go down the drain, I cook mine up for about 20min in slighty salted water.
    its got a slighty crunchy texture, I love it!

Some of my favorites are:

adding roast butternut, feta and some brocolli, and sometimes chicken.

or i do fish ( if ur sons eats it) I add sardines or tuna with some carrots.

Today I had veggies and chickpeas in mine,

I havent tried anything sweet or new again, I will add you and keep you updated though. Its seems to me that once you have cooked it you can do anything with it. 40g dry weight is more than enough for me when cooked,

Google some recipes and try them there are so many inetersting ideas. I have Psoriasis and stay away from wheat as far as possible, gluten too.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes for you, but you may find as he starts to feel better and food doesn't cause him pain, he won't stay such a picky eater. Best of luck to you!
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://paleomg.com/banana-bread-french-toast/

tried this one last night and am in love with it! My kids eat gluten free/grain free with us, and they eat everything we put in front of them.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I made this for my best friends 2 kids and they LOVED it. Two types of "pancakes"...

Banana Pancakes:
    1 large banana (mashed)
    2 eggs
    dash of cinnamon

Sweet Potato Pancakes:
    1 cup sweet potato (mashed, not too mushy it needs a little thicker consistancy)
    2 eggs
    dash of pumkin spice

cook the same way you would normal pancakes. I served them with bacon and the kids gobbled them up. They make thin crepe like pancakes. Delish!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    you can basically buy everything you want as gluten free, ask where the gluten free section is in your grocery store. Honestly my son just eats whatever I eat or waits until the next meal, so I don't really know about cooking seperate meals.
  • goforthd5
    goforthd5 Posts: 167
    Options
    My niece is the same way. The box brownie mix is wonderful! The cookies are ok; they turn out pretty crunchy though. If I remember correctly, Hellman's mayo is gluten free also. And don't forget Chex cereals. You can make all kinds of snacks with them.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Get a Vita-Mix. You can make amazing concoctions with it.
    My kids love it when I mix fresh and frozen strawberries, a touch of Greek yogurt and Stevia.
    Whip it into an awesome cold drink or spoonable sorbet depending on the proportion of frozen strawberries.

For adults, remove the yogurt and add rum. The healthiest frozen daiquiri ever.
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My grandmother had celiac. For sweets she would make Rice crispy treats and she would substitute rice and/or spelt flour for wheat flour in recipes.

Spaghetti squash, rice. She'd make any mexican style dish using corn tortillas or chips.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownie Recipe

a friend of mine learned this recipe when she was in Costa Rica - they're AWESOME and glueten free - but they're not in anyway a "diet food" ...

16 oz. (Home cooked, not canned) Black Beans
    4 eggs
    1 stick butter
    4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tbsp ground coffee (optional) - I didn't do this
    1 tsp vanilla (optional) - or this

Steps to eight servings of chocolate heaven (double the recipe to fill a 13"x9" pan:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2) Rinse the beans to remove all juicyness until the water runs clear
    3) Melt the chocolate, butter/oil, and vanilla, if used, in a double boiler
    4) Puree the eggs and beans in a blender/processor
    5) Combine the above with any remaining ingredients
    6) Pour into a greased pan
    7) Bake for approximately 25 minutes. The brownies usually crack on top when done.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    my hubby's co-worker's little one is the same......... we let him use some of our Paleo cookbooks and he found some ideas in there. There's a few websites you can browse too.........everydaypaleo.com and PaleOMG.com are a few of my favs, they even have yummy desserts on there. One of my fav lunches/dinners MIGHT be kid friendly........ a BLT wrap (turkey bacon, tomato and a little onion -you can leave that out- plus some freshly mashed and seasoned avacado rolled up in a big green lettuce leaf. they are DELISH!
  • lin7604
    Options
    thank you everyone for all the great ideas and web sites. i will be browsing at recipes for a while now. my son has no symptoms and it was a fluke that we found out about this. He eats everything now ( that he likes) and is a wheat addict. I know he will not like some of the changes as i know it won't be the same. I keep telling him that he can still have pizza, mac and cheese, etc but it will be a bit different. not sure about the bread, begals, pancakes or muffins yet..... i guess i once we find a good recipe it will be fine I think the bread thing is the most important thing to him... he loves his grilled cheese sandwiches...
  • coffee91115
    coffee91115 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My kids were just diagnosed as well, 3 and 5, it was a fluke how we found it as well. They are both really picky. We found out in November so we are still adjusting. I have found a couple staples, like chicken homemade nuggets they will eat. I still have not been successful on homemade mac and cheese lol but the kraft mac and cheese spoiled them! Try Udi's bread. It's in the frozen section, but it's the best we've had!
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed at 18 months after months of diarrhea, vomiting, extreme weight loss & fatigue, etc. It was extremely daunting at first... it has been almost a year and we are still adjusting. Since she is so little and rather picky too, she eats a lot of the same foods each day. I will make ham or turkey & cheese roll ups (string cheese wrapped in turkey or ham and sliced into bite size pieces). She loves carrots & ranch or hummus, eggs, cottage cheese, GF pasta. Things like corn puffs (cheetos, pirate's booty) or most of the Chex flavors are gluten free & good snacks. We've found that the Udi's gluten free bread is pretty good and makes good grilled cheese sandwiches. Ive bought gluten free flour and made GF cookies, pancakes, etc out of it. There are some Simply Smart GF chicken strips that are really good. You can make anything with corn tortillas (quesadillas, etc).

One thing to be careful of (and I know it sounds weird) is Play Dough. It is made of basically flour & water, and if they play and get it on their hands and then eat... no good. Those are the things that seemed daunting to me. There are tons of resources out there though. Lots of recipes on Pinterest, the website gfoverflow.com is wonderful for checking if something is gluten free. http://glutenfreemom.com is a favorite blog of mine with lots of recipes.

Good luck!!!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    (For anyone reading the earlier posts in this thread, note that neither Rice Krispies nor spelt are gluten-free.)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My 7 year oldhas celiacs.

The best advice I can give you is to not try and replace gluteny favorites. Especially in the beginning when they still remember gluten filled foods.

Breakfasts are usually eggs, brown and serve sausage or cereal here (coco pebbles, fruity pebbles, cocoa puffs, kix, chex).

Lunch - deli meat roll (boars head on a dedicated slicer or make your own) cheese stick, fruit, yogurt, fruit snack

Dinner - think naturally gf. Protein. Veggie. Rice. Quinoa. Millet.

Snacks - fruit, veggies, gf pretzels, cheese

As for gf products...go to aldi if you have one. Their gf stuff is the best and much cheaper! For example..glutino pretzels are $6.99 a bag here, but the same size aldi brand bag is $1.99!