Cold weather running

Options
I've been running outdoors and I've apparently caught the running bug. But I tried the treadmill and realized I love the outdoors so much better. I live in upstate NY and winter is quickly approaching. What are the winter necessities for outdoor running in the winter? I'm obviously not going to be able to run in a snowstorm but I want to try and get out a couple of times a week if the roads are clear of snow. Anyone else run in the cold weather and have any tips? Clothing recommendations?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running outdoors and I've apparently caught the running bug. But I tried the treadmill and realized I love the outdoors so much better. I live in upstate NY and winter is quickly approaching. What are the winter necessities for outdoor running in the winter? I'm obviously not going to be able to run in a snowstorm but I want to try and get out a couple of times a week if the roads are clear of snow. Anyone else run in the cold weather and have any tips? Clothing recommendations?

I'm a little north of you and run outside all year 'round, the only thing guaranteed to keep me inside is freezing rain.

There are a couple of things to consider one being warmth, the other visibility (unless you can run in the middle of the day).

The secret to running comfortably in winter is layers. You want to start with a light but warm wicking base layer, for really cold day (-25° or colder) I'll start with a merino wool base layer, light, comfortable and warm. For milder days I'll use pretty much any running tee shirt (not cotton) and I'll skip the base layer under my tights.

Your mid layer will also vary with the temperature. For really cold days I'll wear my polar fleece, milder days a medium weight half-zip long sleeve top.

Outer layer - a running shell (more for wind protection than anything else) get one that has the zipped vents under your arms, you'll be able to use it for spring and fall running too.

Hat & gloves are a must. Gloves will take a little more trial and error,I went through a pile of them until I found a lightweight Columbia glove that has a heat reflective lining - depending on your cold tolerance you may even want to opt for a mitten.

I run in my regular running shoes in winter, some people prefer trail shoes, and I have merino wool socks for really cold days.

My profile picture was taken this past January at a half marathon; it was a balmy -15°C and I was wearing a wicking base layer, half zip & my shell and was comfortable (you should feel a little chilly when you first start out - you'll warm up)

In terms of visibility - choose high contrast, highly visible colours and make sure your jacket has reflective elements. If you're running when it's dark consider investing in a headlight (I use a rechargeable LED one made by Petzl).

Have fun - winter running can be very enjoyable.