Green Tea

Options
I promised myself i wouldn't start another topic on this forum but... well.. hopefully THIS time i will actually just get what i asked for lol

I have been told that if you drink green tea it boosts your metabolism. So i am thinking about encoperating it into my diet

apparently you need to drink 8 cups a day to have the desired effect... so how about it? anyone up for joining me?

its only 1 calorie a cup and the worst that could happen is we up our water intake and need to wee a lot!

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I'll join you
    I'm sure it is zero calories in the MFP database
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Drink matcha instead - its like drinking 10 cups of green tea and 137 times the antioxidants because you are consuming the leaf rather than the steeping.

I drink one or two cups a day of matcha (because there's a huge bit of caffeine in it) hot, iced, or in latte form with fat free milk.

I get my matcha from Red Leaf Teas and I recently tried Kaimatcha, which is really really good (and has lots of info on matchas and benefits).
    You don't need fancy tools to prepare it - I just use a wide mug and a wire whisk. Or if I'm doing an iced matcha I just toss the matcha into a blender bottle.

But yeah.. I drink maybe 2-6 cups of tea a day of black, oolong, pu reh, green, white and herbals. No way I could do 8 cups of just green tea!
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Heyo! I'd like to add a few more facts. Tea also has quite a bit of antioxidants, and it's also a natural mild antibiotic, which is great at keeping your mouth healthy.

There are many articles about this, here's one:

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/oral-health/5-ways-green-tea-is-good-for-your-oral-health
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    I have made a pot and am antioxidating even as we "speak"
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    but DO get a whitening toothpaste - that stuff stains
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have made a pot and am antioxidating even as we "speak"

I'll join you for a cup Hugh :)
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'll join you.
    I've started have a cup or 2 a day, but would like to incease.

I have the Tetley Lemon Green Tea, slightly less bitter than the plain ones.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    but DO get a whitening toothpaste - that stuff stains

My dentist said that green tea softens the enamel on your teeth so you should not brush within 30 mins of drinking it.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of it so use it in capsule form. Two capsules a day and I'm done.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    i have jasmine flavoured and apple and pear

I think i am going to use my 'water' gauge as a green tea gauge and aim for 8 cups a day :)
  • bamakmd
    bamakmd Posts: 34
    Options
    Are you allowed to add honey to it or are you guys just going to drink it plain? I'd like to join and yes, it would help our water intake :)
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tea of all kinds. I drink tons of oolong tea ... check it out. Allegedly has lots of healthy benefits as well.
  • auval622
    auval622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm having a cup right now:)
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I read in some health magazine too much green tea can irritate your stomach or something. BUt it is good for you! I agree with the matcha drinker. Matcha is less bitter as well and I incorporate it in smoothies
  • luna16belle
    luna16belle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a cup of the tea with lemon in it earlier, my skin is going through a bad time right now and a friends said it would help clear up my skin as well as kick start my metabolism (did I spell that right?!) so yeah, doesn't really taste of anything though :( But will be bringing this into my daily diet too!
  • Determinedtorunon
    Determinedtorunon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    I am taking the capsules as well, so far so good...Mega green tea.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Are you allowed to add honey to it or are you guys just going to drink it plain? I'd like to join and yes, it would help our water intake :)
    if you factor in the honey calories - won't help the teeth, though and a Splenda does the same (not sure if this fries the brain like some claim the others do, though) and a tspn in each cup would be 20 calories, so that's 8 cups at 20 calories a cup (just takes shoes off) 160 calories.
    nah! get used to the taste of it "neat"
  • Tundra9850
    Options
    Green tea is very god for you drink it every meal
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular iced tea to iced green tea a few months ago. I brew about a gallon every 3 days or so. I drink it throughout the day with no sweetener. I just love the taste. the health benefits are just "icing on the cake"
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    you have cake? - with icing???