Ankle Issues

Options
So question. I have tiny little ankles for how tall and heavy I am. I also have tibial torsion (which means my shins are crooked and my toes point in) which makes things hard for me to excersise. I am just now getting to a point where I can jog without shin splints through a combination of good shoes and focusing hard on how I step (I put a lot of weight on my heel and I'm trying to do better).
However, my right ankle was injured a few years back before I gained weight and it hurts if I tweak it. I can't do lunges because I can't do the balance right or my ankle caves.
Should I invest in an ankle brace? Are there excersises I can do to strengthen my ankle? I am not going to let this stop me, but I don't want to injure it again.

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I used to think I had weak ankles, and you know what? I was right. It's not a permanent condition - they can be strengthened.

Invest in those rubber band things and do ankle strengthening exercises. I started doing them while rehabbing a tendon problem in my leg & it made a whole lot of difference. As an example, I twisted my ankle on a run the other day (5 times on the same run - that sort of thing will happen when trail running after dark), never stopped running, and it was only mildly sore the next day. A few years ago, the same twist would have put me on the couch for a week.

There are 3 basic exercises to do on your ankle - just ask a PT.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There are exercises you can do. I did physical therapy for my ankle (broke it in 94) and it really helped. If you can work it out with your doctor/insurance, I would suggest physical therapy. Otherwise, pucenavel is right - use the bands and google ankle strengthening exercises.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can definitely improve your ankle strength, as the previous poster said. But, also, you may want to opt for other exercises that have lower impact on your joints, like the elliptical. I have terrible ankles and knees, and although I do some running, I definitely do the bulk of my workout on the elliptical.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not only are there exercises that will strengthen your ankle, but there are also exercises that you can do to correct your gait (the way you walk). You can ask a personal trainer of physical therapist for suggestions on both.
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    Hi!! I am totally in the same position! I injured (twisted) by ankle during Easter and it still hasn't healed fully. I do lower impact excercise to lose weight to lessen the pressure put on my ankle. When it doesn't hurt I go full force. I wear running shoes with good padding at the sole to absorb the shock on my ankle and it is slowly getting better.