Cardio before or after weight lifting?

Options
124»

Replies

• Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter you can actually burn more calories lifting if done correctly. Actually i found doing both at the same time (HB's workout) is EXTREMELY effective. i teach spin class and I lift after words most of the time. Or before on certain days.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    30 to 35 minutes on elliptical first. At my age, the last thing I want to be doing is subjecting my body to a sudden overload with heavy weights. And anything less than AT LEAST 15 minutes of cardio is also just a stress on the body - it isn't providing any aerobic benefit or any conditioning effect. So, while I am on the machine, I might as well stay there and get a decent workout. That way, my heart and lungs are prepared for the strain of the weights. But, of course, this is just the way things work for ME.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Always do it after weight training.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    both
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I have been doing the cardio beforehand but it does tire me out some. I think I will go with the majority and try doing it after the weight training with a 10-15 minute warm-up.
  • hteejay
    hteejay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do cardio after weight training. The main reason for this is because weight lifting does not deplete your glycogen stores as much as it would during a session of cardio. Therefore, if you do your cardio session after your weight training, you will still have some left over glycogen stores to get in a decent cardio session.

Bump.. plus helps w/ soreness and burning fat.. why your told to do cardio after weight training for best results and less soreness.. but everyones different.. just got to do the trial and error thing!!
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do 20 minutes of HIIT cardio followed by my strength training. I do this specifically to keep my heart rate up during the strength training on the theory that I burn slightly more calories. I have no clue if this is true or not but it works for me.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    How do you prefer it????

I do 30 mins cardio, then all my strength then another 30 to 60 mins cardio.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    After! I've been doing 45 min strength training followed by 20-30 min cardio and seeing amazing results in the past 2 weeks.
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i normally do 30-45 mins of cardio then weights..i get pretty solid results but id think its prob a preference
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I don't do heavy cardio on the same day as weight lifting, but if I were doing both on the same day, I'd do weight lifting first.

If I do weight lifting first, and I'm pooped, I'll just go a little slower on the cardio. Speed doesn't matter much... if you run 3 miles at 5mph or at 7mph, the calorie burn will be close to the same.

But if I do cardio first and get all tuckered out, my form is going to be sloppy when lifting, which could result in injury.

Agree with this! My form turns to crap when I'm tired.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio before simply because if I don't do it and get it out of the way I won't do it at all. After lifting for over an hour I just don't have it in me (or the ambition) to do 30 more minutes of cardio.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Both. At the same time. While riding a unicycle.

While drinking a protein shake. It's the only way it'll work :happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If one can run after leg day, then they might want to reconsider their workout routine.

I disagree with this statement. I find that if my legs are really sore -- sore to the point where I am wincing when I have to go to the bathroom -- a run actually loosens my muscles and makes me legs feel a lot better.