home vs gym

Options
is it true guys that gum is way better than youtube home workouts???
i workout at home and sometimes i feel like i want to stop, sometimes i do ,and some times i carry on....but peoplr tell me that in gym with people and trainer i wouldn't have this problem...so?? what do you think???
another question.....i want to get small and fit, but in my workout sometimes i increase my workout minutes, and sometimes i decrease it ( as i said) but minimum 45 mins.....is that wrong?? i workout 4-5 days a week, as sometimes i don't have time because i tavel every day,....
it's just that i've been 25 days eating above 1200 cals , and excersicing the way i said, but i don't see any noticable results...so i know there hould be something wrong.....

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you.

Some people do best when in a team or crossfit type environment, where there is a coach and people work together toward a common purpose.

Some people do best in a traditional gym, self coaching and working in front of others who are doing the same.

Some work best on their own at home.

Those that don't work best at home typically need some sort of extra motivating factor, as it is easy to skip workouts at home, paying for a gym and taking a few steps toward the car is that little spark that some need.

Vice versa those that work best at home don't typically do as well in a distraction filled environment, but have an easy time motivating themselves to work.

I work at home. Motivation for me is a non-issue. When I put on my headphones and start working I'm in a totally focused zone with no outside distractions whasoever. I would not deal well with a gym environment, people watching and self consciousness would really impact my workouts negatively. I was a team sport hater so I suspect that I wouldn't do well in a sports/crossfit type environment.
  • manoozo
    manoozo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks alot!:flowerforyou: ...that pretty much helps :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    is it true guys that gum is way better than youtube home workouts???
    i workout at home and sometimes i feel like i want to stop, sometimes i do ,and some times i carry on....but peoplr tell me that in gym with people and trainer i wouldn't have this problem...so?? what do you think???
    If you need other people to motivate you, than a trainer could help. Whether they work with you at home or in a gym depends on you and the trainer.

another question.....i want to get small and fit, but in my workout sometimes i increase my workout minutes, and sometimes i decrease it ( as i said) but minimum 45 mins.....is that wrong?? i workout 4-5 days a week, as sometimes i don't have time because i tavel every day,....
    If you are shortening or lengthening because of time constraints, then it is what it is... there's only so much time in the day. Personally, if have less time I'll try to workout harder or increase the intensity of the workout. Longer workouts are usually at a lower intensity.
    it's just that i've been 25 days eating above 1200 cals , and excersicing the way i said, but i don't see any noticable results...so i know there hould be something wrong.....
    How are your macros? Are you doing any strength training?
  • manoozo
    Options
    i use 2kg dumbells 3 times a week, and i did for 1 week..
    it's not about time with me....but in somedays workouts are harder than other days, eventhough i'm doing the same workout, and i don't know if it's me slacking off....
    i didn't get smaller and i didn't get bigger either...i feel that what i do is a way to keep my current weight, not to lose weight....
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I find I'm WAY more focused at the gym. There is nothing to distract me.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't have a prob with either option, as long as I get it done. I don't let anything distract me once I start!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your diary for the last week or so... You need to eat more. You aren't even close to hitting your goal... often under by 1000 cals or more.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Home workouts are just as good as gym workouts, depending on your goal.

My wife and I are using two different workouts: I'm in the gym lifting like a beast, and she stays at home and does moderate weight training in the living room.

We've both lost more than 10% of our bodyweight so far - the only difference is that I'm also aiming to get much stronger, so I'm lifting big and heavy. If I could afford 500+ lbs of barbell plates and a squat rack and bench, then I'd work out at home, too.
  • manoozo
    Options
    Home workouts are just as good as gym workouts, depending on your goal.

My wife and I are using two different workouts: I'm in the gym lifting like a beast, and she stays at home and does moderate weight training in the living room.

We've both lost more than 10% of our bodyweight so far - the only difference is that I'm also aiming to get much stronger, so I'm lifting big and heavy. If I could afford 500+ lbs of barbell plates and a squat rack and bench, then I'd work out at home, too.
    WOW!!! that's very impressive!! WTG! :wink:
    and actually a bit relifing, cuz i would have much trouble trying to go to gym while studying and everyday travelling
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm much better at home than the gym. Ok, I'm not MUCH better, but at least I'm not any worse.

I find I don't go to the gym because I have to go, get ready, drive there and then work out. Where as at home I can just do all of it, and be done. Plus I prefer running outdoors than on a treadmill inside.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm much better at home than the gym. .

Same deal here. I just recently got a free 7 day pass at a VERY nice gym here in town. I used the pass all of twice and am reminded why I hate gyms - waiting for equipment, people conversing or playing with their cell phones on equipment I'm wanting to use, crowds, etc. For some people they need the motivation of a gym and that's great if that's what is needed to get them active. With me I have plenty of motivation and love my home gym. I probably would not be in nearly the shape I am in if I had to rely on driving to and dealing with a gym for my workouts.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm better off at home. GETTING to the gym was a problem for me. It took about a half hour to get there, and a half hour back, and since I didn't want to spend more time driving than exercising, there was two hours gone out of my day. I hate treadmills, ellipicals etc, so I get my cardio outside. I'd rather run in the rain, cold or snow than on the hamster wheel. :laugh: And I got weights for home, so when I do my lifting, I know what I'm going to do, and I get it done. Maybe not all at once, but it gets done. (IE, I might do a set, and scoop the cat box. Do a set, and scoop another cat box. (I have many cats and many boxes.) Do a set, and start a load of laundry. Do a set, and play a game of Words with Friends. Etc. And I don't have to get dressed first.
  • jckw333
    Options
    I think it depends on a whole lot of factors. I do gym workouts about 3 times a week and home about twice a week. I find that gym works best for me because once I get there I'm totally in the zone and will work out longer than if I was at home. BUT, my gym is 5 minutes from my home, has ample parking, I never have to wait for a machine and it has a really good range of equipment. So I'd look into getting a trial pass at the gym that you think you might join and see how it fits in with your life.

Home workouts for me usually mean Insanity - so good! And you don't need to buy any equipment.
  • manoozo
    Options
    I'm better off at home. GETTING to the gym was a problem for me. It took about a half hour to get there, and a half hour back, and since I didn't want to spend more time driving than exercising, there was two hours gone out of my day. I hate treadmills, ellipicals etc, so I get my cardio outside. I'd rather run in the rain, cold or snow than on the hamster wheel. :laugh: And I got weights for home, so when I do my lifting, I know what I'm going to do, and I get it done. Maybe not all at once, but it gets done. (IE, I might do a set, and scoop the cat box. Do a set, and scoop another cat box. (I have many cats and many boxes.) Do a set, and start a load of laundry. Do a set, and play a game of Words with Friends. Etc. And I don't have to get dressed first.

by the way, is it ok when you feel tired during workout to take a rest for a minute??? and drink water during workout?
  • manoozo
    Options
    I think it depends on a whole lot of factors. I do gym workouts about 3 times a week and home about twice a week. I find that gym works best for me because once I get there I'm totally in the zone and will work out longer than if I was at home. BUT, my gym is 5 minutes from my home, has ample parking, I never have to wait for a machine and it has a really good range of equipment. So I'd look into getting a trial pass at the gym that you think you might join and see how it fits in with your life.

Home workouts for me usually mean Insanity - so good! And you don't need to buy any equipment.
    insanity is way too diffificult for me...really congrats on doing it:wink:
    the gym i can go to is about 30 min away, very expensive and croweded, besides i'm on a very tight schedule myself.....but seeing very few results in the past month made me suspesious about my workout and diet:frown:
    so i thought i'm not pushing myself nough and i should go to gym...you know!! ...
  • Jadesha
    Jadesha Posts: 17
    Options
    I think you need to motivate YOU!!! Its hard I know (trust me I've been there) but u gotta want to make that change. I workout at home most times & when our seasonal trainer is on island I workout with her. I always used to flunk my 'home alone' workouts until I decided I wanted to see a change in myself. So far I've been working out on my own for a month, changed my eating habits & voila!!! Though the scale says I only lost 2 lbs I lost 3.5" from my waist & my clothes are getting looser & looser by the week. Don't be too hard on yourself, throw away the scale, change your eating habits, workout regularly & measure yourself at least every 2 wks or so. Within a month I guarantee you'll see result & you'll feel better too ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

by the way, is it ok when you feel tired during workout to take a rest for a minute??? and drink water during workout?

Absolutely! As long as you're not someone who gets an upset stomach from drinking during a workout.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym worked SO much better for me. I joined about 3 wks ago, and I've lost more inches and seen more muscle tone than I did in 3 months of home video workouts like Jillian Michaels and Cindy Whitmarsh. Being around others motivates me more, I work out longer and more often cause I'm paying for it dammnit! Using weighted machines also does a lot more than home calisthenics IMO. Try a free week trial and see how you like it.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, it's a personal choice and motivation is a factor. Unless I'm in gym "mode" I don't like gyms (waiting for kit, self-consciousness, ongoing costs, travel, etc) - I need to get my motivation going first.

That's why I started back into martial arts training - I enjoy it, so I *want* to go (and I learn useful skills), you can't slack off - unless you want to do press-ups or get hit, I have done a couple of "conventional" gym classes in the past (like body combat) but I feel self-couscious being the only male in the room (not referencing the other thread!).

However, as my level of fitness impacts on my training - I'm now down the gym every day I can, cardio and a weights programme because the need to be fit for my training motivates me to go to the gym. :smile:
  • manoozo
    Options
    thanks alot guys for your responses, it means alot to me :smile: