Hypothyroidism- Medication Vs. Hollistic Approaches.

Options
I was recently diagnosed with a form of Hypothyroidism know as Hasimoto's. I have not yet begun medication, but have been prescribed a low level hormone, levothyroxine.

To give a very short version of the story, I got tested because my weight loss was VERY hard. My trainer said he's never seen anyone work so hard, and lose so little. It wasn't me making excuses. I truly was not having the results I should have. I got tested, and then had follow up testing that came back with a slightly elevated TSH level (4.8) and very high anti-thyroglobulin levels (113).

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar boat. Took meds, took the holistic approach, waited it out, and what your experiences have been?

I have one friend with a similar condition who has been on meds for years, and insists its the way to go. Another one of my best friends is a holistic practitioner that insists, it can be done with diet and exercise alone, but it can take months if not years to treat naturally. I'm feeling very conflicted about what to do moving forward and I was just hoping for some insight!

Replies

• 05saleengirl
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with a form of Hypothyroidism know as Hasimoto's. I have not yet begun medication, but have been prescribed a low level hormone, levothyroxine.

To give a very short version of the story, I got tested because my weight loss was VERY hard. My trainer said he's never seen anyone work so hard, and lose so little. It wasn't me making excuses. I truly was not having the results I should have. I got tested, and then had follow up testing that came back with a slightly elevated TSH level (4.8) and very high anti-thyroglobulin levels (113).

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar boat. Took meds, took the holistic approach, waited it out, and what your experiences have been?

I have one friend with a similar condition who has been on meds for years, and insists its the way to go. Another one of my best friends is a holistic practitioner that insists, it can be done with diet and exercise alone, but it can take months if not years to treat naturally. I'm feeling very conflicted about what to do moving forward and I was just hoping for some insight!

Here is a Great website that has tons of info: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com Which ever meds they put you on, please, please, please make sure they also test your Free T4 and Free T3 levels! Also try and get a NDT (Natural Dessicated Thyroid) type of medication. If they refuse, seriously see if you can find a doc who will test those above and give those types of meds.