I stopped drinking pop, so why am I not losing weight?

Options
I stopped drinking pop everyday for about a month now. In that 4 weeks, I've had one 20oz of diet dr. pepper. That's it. I only drink water now, but I'm not losing weight? Why? I've read that if you stop drinking pop you will automatically lose. So why not me? I stay under my calories and exercise everyday. I've been doing Jillian Micheal's DVDs and I've actually gained weight (I guess it could be muscle)?

Does anybody have anything that might help me?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Were you drinking diet or regular?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking pop everyday for about a month now. In that 4 weeks, I've had one 20oz of diet dr. pepper. That's it. I only drink water now, but I'm not losing weight? Why? I've read that if you stop drinking pop you will automatically lose. So why not me? I stay under my calories and exercise everyday. I've been doing Jillian Micheal's DVDs and I've actually gained weight (I guess it could be muscle)?

You probably are eating too much. If you just cut out one thing and are still not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How much were you originally drinking? Was it diet drinks?

Fact of the matter is, one 12 oz. soda is typically about 150 calories. Saying you had 2 a day, that is really only 300 calories a day that you are cutting from your lifestyle. If you haven't changed anything else about your habits that would only equate to a 2100 calorie drop a week, which is only about 3/4 a pound. It is also likely that you have replaced these sodas with something else of equal or higher caloric content which would cause for the lack of weight loss.

It takes exercise and eating in moderation to lose weight. Not just eliminating one "bad" thing from your diet.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific PROOF (I put that word in caps to head off some of the nonsense that I'm sure people will post) that drinking diet soda has an effect on weight.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You only have 2 more pounds. This will take a little longer to lose.

Also, you might want to open your diary if you want helpful responses.
  • JulieMTiffany
    Options

It was diet.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you were drinking diet to begin with, you're not cutting any calories. You're definitely healthier in that you're not consuming the chemicals, but if you're not creating a calorie deficit you won't lose weight.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific PROOF (I put that word in caps to head off some of the nonsense that I'm sure people will post) that drinking diet soda has an effect on weight.

Yeah, have to agree on this one. I think more of the benefits are going to be internal than external (just like quitting smoking, really. some gain/some lose/some nothing). So, even if the weight isn't coming off from cutting, just focus on the positives of actually getting that crap out of your system. :flowerforyou:
  • JulieMTiffany
    Options

You probably are eating too much. If you just cut out one thing and are still not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight.

I was eating 1200, and bumped it up to 1300. I don't think I could eat less than that.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    what did you substitute for the fizziness?
  • JulieMTiffany
    Options
    what did you substitute for the fizziness?

Water.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There are people out there spouting opinions as aboslutes who don't know the difference between their rectum and a hole in the ground. Personally, I've never heard that if you stop drinking pop, you will automatically lose weight, especially if it's diet soda.

Of course all those chemicals can't be good for you, so stick with the water. I don't know what you need to tweak, but keep at it. Those last few pounds will go.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

i think you need to read better sources of information if that's what you read. You make no mention of the rest of your diet, caloric intake, TDEE or anything else.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    So you were drinking Diet soda to begin with, (which is zero calories and zero fat) and now you only drink water and you can't figure out why you're not losing?

Cutting out Diet soda is not the cure all of weight loss - you have to do other things. Your diary is not open so we can only guesstimate.....
    You need to change up your eating habits (reduce carbs, sugars and sodium - increase protein and water)
    Change up your exercise routine - get your heart rate up. Add more strength training!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

It was diet.

Easy. Diet soda has no calories
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    First: congrats on kicking your soda habit. Soda stains your teeth and causes your body to crave sugar. Plus, soda is just empty calories with NO nutritional value. Even diet soda is bad because it is full of sodium and makes you look bloated and can cause your body to crave sweets.

Why haven't you lost weight?

To lose 1 lb. you would have to burn 3,500 calories (through exercise or diet). If you were drinking a 12 oz. can (150 calories) of soda every day it would take 23 days to lose 1 lb.

Since you were drinking diet soda then you have eliminated no calories from your diet.

Love Jillian Michael's dvds! I am working out to her 30 day shred dvd.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    JulieMTiffany has deactivated their account.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

WTH!

So glad I took the time to respond then.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

WTH!

So glad I took the time to respond then.

That was fast
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    deleted: it was all a waste of time