Sodium

Options
Hey everyone. Just looking on some tips on what I should look for on the food label when it comes to sodium. I'm trying to limit my intake, but I'm not sure what is "high" or "low" Any tips?

Replies

• lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The recommended daily amost is 2500mg. That being said, most dr that recommend a low sodium diet, prefer you to be more around 1500mg. Eating processed foods, that is next to impossible! You can have sodium show up on your daily food log. In "My Home" go to "Settings" and "Diary Settings." There you can change what NI shows up in your diary. You can have up to 6 things showing, but one of them HAS to be calories (duh!:laugh: )

I hope that helps!
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    I also try to limit my sodium, but it is in everything! I couldn't believe it. On Saturday, I had a cup of fresh, raw brocolli and 3 oz. of baby carrots and it was 94mg. of sodium! It is in anything processed, soups (my favorite), dairy, and is even taking over my vegetables now! I also just added it to my food diary and it is always red at the end of the day. :-(
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you search for older sodium threads - there are quite a few with some really good tips on how to keep your sodium levels low. I'm pretty good at it now, but it was difficult at first. Feel free to check out my food log to see what I eat. Here's a thread from the other day that might be helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75699-sodium-is-ridiculous

The biggest key is to avoid processed foods as much as possible!! Yes, dairy and veggies have some sodium, but if you cut out all or most processed foods, you'll have plenty of room for the sodium in the good foods.
  • IAM125lbs
    IAM125lbs Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I begin seriously noting my sodium intake following a high blood pressure crisis that I couldn't nor the doctor give a reason for given no history of hypertension and my food intake wasn't out of balance. I had to begin taking medication for a few weeks but decided to watch my sodium intake. Blood pressure return to normal with in a week. I didn't know I was killing myself with sodium. I had no idea that so many foods have such high sodium. Just this morning I discovered a cup of Special K Original has 220mgs of sodium. It's difficult to keep it below 2500mg but I keep trying because I don't want to take medication or heaven forbid a stroke.
  • oohnee1
    oohnee1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! :)