I need help!!

Options
I, for some reason, have lost all motivation to do this "weight loss thing". I dont know why. As always, in the beginning i'm fired up and excited about it and then I just lose it. I've lost almost 70 pounds. It's not that im not losing weight, because I am. I was excited about going to the gym every day. I was excited about logging all of my foods and seeing my intake. I was excited about Zumba and other group classes at the gym. I was excited about everything...and now i'm just not. Why? I'm stressed about a lot of things in my life, but would that just make me want to give up? Why do I do this? I'm disappointed in myself. I know that no one can make me do this but me. I hold the key to my future. Ugh! Why can't I just stick to this?

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Because you don't want it bad enough thats why ..

If you really wanted it you would go out and take whats rightfully yours to have in the first place....

Wait whats that ? You say you do want it ? Then you need to pull yourself up by your boot straps and step your *kitten* out into the sun light and start moving..

IN order to be successful you need to change your mind because before your body will change, the mind has to go first.. I think you need to spend a little mirror time with your self.. Look your self right in the eyes and tell yourself, "I can do this, I want this, I am a champion because champions win and I am a winner."

You are still in your old mindset the, mind set that wants to stay home where its comfortable and safe.. Well you have to get uncomfortable if you want to see change .. because when you are uncomfortable is when the real results happen..

You need to not look at the big picture.. You need to take this one day at a time... For what is each day? Its nothing but a series of conflicts between the right way and the easy way....

Ten thousand streams fan out like a delta before you offering you the path of least resistance on daily basis but winners head up stream.. The easy way will always be there ready to wash you away .. You are being washed away right now.... How does that feel ?

Each step you take comes with the decision to take another and you NEED to decide to take that next step Jammie because once you begin there is no turning back... Turning back rewards you with nothing but shame.. And winners don't do shame.. They Win.. You want to win right ?

You will always have that voice, that devil in side of you telling you this is stupid, this is uncomfortable, this is a waste of time.. That devil is you .. Thats the old you going to war with the new you breaking free... You need to Drown out that voice with the sound of your heart beat, you need to burn away that self doubt with the fire lit beneath you!!! Because those who want it bad, are the ones who go out and take it... Those are the winners.. Which are you going to be Jammie ?

How bad do you want it ?
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    @kax - are you a football coach? I feel like that would be a killer pre-game speech.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    haha nope .. just a lowly IT server admin that has been there, and made the choice in the face of my own adversity.
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    AMAZING,....you motivated me and I wasn't even unmotivated. I'm telling you now I'm sharing last two paragraphs of your speech with a weightloss challenge group I'm in. It was a 90 day challenge and we're down to the last 30 days and people are falling like cards. Thanks for sharing......I was moved.
  • stephanie1133
    Options

If you really wanted it you would go out and take whats rightfully yours to have in the first place....

Wait whats that ? You say you do want it ? Then you need to pull yourself up by your boot straps and step your *kitten* out into the sun light and start moving..

IN order to be successful you need to change your mind because before your body will change, the mind has to go first.. I think you need to spend a little mirror time with your self.. Look your self right in the eyes and tell yourself, "I can do this, I want this, I am a champion because champions win and I am a winner."

You are still in your old mindset the, mind set that wants to stay home where its comfortable and safe.. Well you have to get uncomfortable if you want to see change .. because when you are uncomfortable is when the real results happen..

You need to not look at the big picture.. You need to take this one day at a time... For what is each day? Its nothing but a series of conflicts between the right way and the easy way....

Ten thousand streams fan out like a delta before you offering you the path of least resistance on daily basis but winners head up stream.. The easy way will always be there ready to wash you away .. You are being washed away right now.... How does that feel ?

Each step you take comes with the decision to take another and you NEED to decide to take that next step Jammie because once you begin there is no turning back... Turning back rewards you with nothing but shame.. And winners don't do shame.. They Win.. You want to win right ?

You will always have that voice, that devil in side of you telling you this is stupid, this is uncomfortable, this is a waste of time.. That devil is you .. Thats the old you going to war with the new you breaking free... You need to Drown out that voice with the sound of your heart beat, you need to burn away that self doubt with the fire lit beneath you!!! Because those who want it bad, are the ones who go out and take it... Those are the winners.. Which are you going to be Jammie ?

How bad do you want it ?

I like this!

Weight loss is much more about commitment than motivation. Motivation comes and goes over the weeks and months. You can't depend on motivation to get you through the rough patches you just have to commit and keep going.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe in going back to the beginning. Why did you start in the first place? What put that fire in your belly and finally gave you that push to start? What do you feel has worked best for you? The one thing in kaxfenix' post that I strongly agree with (good post by the way!) is having a mirror time - or at least have a little heart to heart with yourself. I was able to get past quite a few hurdles by really thinking about why I did certain things (emotional eating, weekend binges, putting off exercise, etc) and it wasn't always easy but it was so worth it in the end! Start a journal/diary or blog if it helps to get the thoughts flowing.

I'm so glad you filled in those three sections on the left of your profile page! Go back, re-read them, update and/or re-write them if you want. If you don't have a really clear reason as to why you're doing this, it will not last.

So you used to really like Zumba and now not so much? Time to try something new then! Check out some of the other classes at your gym or buy some DVDs or develop an at home workout - whatever keeps you moving and motivated.

Best of luck!

P.s. One more thought - instead of thinking of it as a "weight loss thing", think of it as a healthy eating thing and/or a fitness thing. Stop focusing on the weight loss and set other goals around healthy eating and workouts. Like - this week I'll add in another serving of veggies, up my water intake, cut out one treat/soda, etc. For exercise, say add take an extra lap around the neighborhood, try out that other exercise class I've been curiious about, try that Jillian MIchael DVD everyone's talking about, add in strength, etc. If your eating and exercise improve, the weight loss will follow.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it ?

YOU ROCK!!!
  • bombshellinprogress
    bombshellinprogress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Very motivating=) Thanks!!!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to the day when I am so established in my healthy habits that I don't have to be motivated and excited any more.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it ?

Bump so I can reread this when I'm feeling discouraged. Great advice.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it ?

^^^ TOTALLY THIS!!! HOW BAD DO YA WANT IT??? I never wanted it bad enough...I was in your boat until 2 months before I turned 38 and I FREAKED!!! I thought, If I let myself turn 40 and I have NOT lost the excess weight, I may never do it. THE TIME IS NOW!! I got serious and I lost more than I ever expected. I thought I'd drop 3 pants sizes, but I was really hoping to drop 4 (a pipe dream I thought)....I DROPPED 6 in 6 months!!!! I AM the size I was in high school only this time I AM HEALTHY while that size (I actually weigh more; same size in measurements). Body is more toned, fit and compact then back then.

YOU CAN DO IT.....BUT ONLY IF YOU MAKE THAT FINAL DECISION TO DO OR DIE!!! I MADE IT, WILL YOU????
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this for 2 months but when I have days when I just want to give up I take off all my clothes and stand in front of the mirror. I assure you it is not a pretty sight...YET. Eventually I will be where I want to be. You will get there too. Never give up on yourself.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I, for some reason, have lost all motivation to do this "weight loss thing". I dont know why. As always, in the beginning i'm fired up and excited about it and then I just lose it. I've lost almost 70 pounds. It's not that im not losing weight, because I am. I was excited about going to the gym every day. I was excited about logging all of my foods and seeing my intake. I was excited about Zumba and other group classes at the gym. I was excited about everything...and now i'm just not. Why? I'm stressed about a lot of things in my life, but would that just make me want to give up? Why do I do this? I'm disappointed in myself. I know that no one can make me do this but me. I hold the key to my future. Ugh! Why can't I just stick to this?

I've lost motivation and gains lots of pounds in the past. Don't let go, don't give up! Just keep doing it because the weight goes back on a whole lot easier than it came off. You ARE doing it! Keep going!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Sometimes when you have a lot of stress it's good to just maintain instead of a calorie deficit. Your body can only take so much stress and if you try to make too many changes at once it backfires. This is a lifestyle change and everything you do in the weight loss phase comes into play in maintenance. I've been maintaining for over a year now and I still have to track calories and stay in a budget, and keep my mind strong in what I want, the only difference is I'm not eating at a deficit anymore, but everything else is the same. Some times you have to take a break from the gym, sometimes you have to take a break from the deficit, sometimes other life events take precedence. We all have to deal with our circumstances and it is not easy for anyone.

I wanted to give up so many times I can't even tell you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

And I have some exciting things happening in my life now --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now

But you do have to want it bad enough, and you do have to keep your eye on the prize and ride one victory to the next keeping the victories on the forefront of your mind.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump! To re-read Rob's response for those days when I really need a kick in the *kitten*!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Rob is all knowing today!!! Can't top that one!!
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bumping to keep for my rainy days! Great advice here so far...
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Me too !! Let go get fat together now.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Bump - for when I'm heading to the biscuit tin!!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

How bad do you want it ?

Damn Rob, Ive never seen you write so much before. You must really care..awe..