Exercising to eat more

Options
Does anyone have days that they want to work out just so you can eat more that day? I feel like the days that I am really hungry, I will exercise more, just to have those extra calories. I know that sounds bad, but there are days that I feel super hungry all day long, and nothing is fixing it.
I do try to exercise 4 days a week, so it isn't that I only exercise so I can eat, but there are days that my only motivation is so I can eat more.
Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I work out more if I anticipate eating more.

Why is that bad? - certainly doesn't sound bad to me. It is ok to eat if you are active. I'm not into self denial.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yep. Ever since I started eating back my exercise calories, I'm super motivated to work out. Even if I'm not losing any more weight because I'm eating all of the calories back, it's good for my heart, lungs, and muscle.
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    Was losing weight like a snowman near a fireplace. Went from 106,4kg to 105,6 in a week. On Sunday cycled for 20km and ran a bootcamp class effectively burning over 1600 kcal through exercise. Stepped on scales 104,9 (yeah I know dehydrated, but still) Ate a bit of ice cream in the evening cause I felt I can. Had a rest day next day and slipped in a beer with a pack of potato chips. Stepped on scales today 106.9...
    FUUU.png
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Not every day for me...but today it rings true. I know that it is going to be a hard food day for me, my own choice for sure...but that being said I already planned MORE calorie burn than I would have otherwise. So...yes? :bigsmile:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Sort of... If I know that I'm not going to be working out over the weekend I'll go SUPER hard on Friday, and up the activity Monday to make up for it.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I had to do that yesterday. My baseline calories were gone all too quickly.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    yes...there are some days that i am super hungry for some reason and i have gone and did a workout just so i could eat more...nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion. its better then just eating and not burning the calories off.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I try to work out more if I know I'll be eating more later on as well. I think it's good planning! Much better than refusing to adjust your routine to accommodate your life :smile:
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    i like to workout very hard, so i can please me with a little food, and i still loss pounds :) i workout 4 times a week
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My current workout plan doesn't really have "rest" days, even though I have taken 2 in 2 weeks from listening to my body, so I generally just do what I want and TRY to indulge in moderation if I’m going to.

But, with that being said, if I’m not on a “plan” like I’m following right now & I’m just working out, being active, I do tend to enjoy working out on the days I plan on going out for social gatherings that include rich foods/lots of drinks. Not only do I have a good energy boost after the initial recovery from the workout, but I build that nice calorie buffer.

I think it can be a good mental tool. Work out hard and earn the reward of indulging! Just like positive reinforcement when training a doggie, lol. Same concept.

"Good Marc, have a steak & a glass...err bottle of wine!"
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Generally .. we all go through days like that .. and it's okay if you have one day a week .. or better once every 10 or 18 days (I read that somewhere) .. to just eat and not look at your calorie intake. It's not like we can never eat anything when we go out to eat with friends, or have a few drinks with dinner. Or have special occasions such has holiday gatherings and office parties.

Everything in moderation -- and don't beat yourself up for splurging one day. As long as you're not falling off the wagon and throwing every day to the winds .. it's not going to adversely affect you. But I wouldn't do that more than once a week. I pick Sundays as my day to not care. I still do a little exercising .. walking - but I'm gonna have those champagne brunches with my friends .. or go out to my favorite Sushi bar and slam down several Hot Sakes ..LOL I don't go over stuff myself -- and I generally make healthier choices as a whole - but I won't deprive myself of my favorite dessert or meal if it's only once in a while :-)
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    usually if i know i'm going to be eating out of my normal habits i'll do a little extra cardio to make up for the added calories.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sooo been there.. although recently I've just been packing my day full of low cal veggies (seriously all day when I'm hungry like that lol) and they hardly take up any of the total calories. (mmm snap-peas, carrots, celery, broccoli.. even cherry tomatoes)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I don't like the idea of tieing food and exercise together because then they become rewards/punishment and can lead to either bad food choices and/or negative feelings about exercise ("Yay, I can go eat pizza because I just ran for an hour" or "Ugh, I have to run for an hour because I ate pizza" ). Therefore, I keep my same routines food wise and exercise wise regardless how or what I did with the other. If I want to have pizza, I just watch my calories for the rest of the day.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You're looking at it wrong. You have to eat more because you have a healthy lifestyle and exercise. I don't exercise to eat more but my exercise makes me eat more. After my 983 calorie run this morning I have to eat 3,400 calories today to break even. Eventually you get tired of eating so much. I'm probably hitting the peanut butter jar as a fix this evening unless my dinner weighs in at 1,000 calories.

Just do the right things (Eat good foods, exercise) and the food takes care of itself.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If I know I'm going to be going somewhere for dinner or I want to make something extra special that day, I'm going to go work my butt off for it so I can.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I used to do this all the time, and I think it was definitely stalling my weight loss! Try to look at it differently at iWaffle suggested.