When it finally "Clicked" for you

Options
Yesterday after leaving the gym, I had to make a stop at the grocery store. While walking the isles, I had a sudden overwhelming craving for sweets. My first thought was to grab a can of cinnamon rolls to bake after dinner. Thankfully, I batted that down, but only with the thoughts of the half used tube of cookie dough that I had in the refrigerator! Well, I went on to ponder just grabbing a candybar and eating it before I made it home!!!---Surely, this would conquer my sudden desire for a sweet....and it would be my secret too!!! However, as I stood in the check out line, i remembered the illuminated red "405" under the calories burned display on the elliptical I'd just sweated for 40 minutes on! So as I strolled through the parking lot, feeling accomplished, yet still wanting something sweet, it dawned on me.... This small decision proved to me that i am INDEED changing my outlook.... making better choices, feeling better, as I continue to work toward looking better!!!!! Soooooooo as I jumped into the car, I did grab me something sweet..... It was one of the "Golden Delicious" apples that I'd had in my shopping cart all along!!!! Thank God for the will-power that he is constantly supplying in my life.... :)

When did you realize it finally clicked for you??? What was your moment of realizing that you are really going to 'stick this health thing out???"

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I guess it hasn't "clicked" yet because I always try to make room for dessert. I just have a small dessert now, so like 3 cookies instead of 10 or one piece of cake instead of 3.
  • fallbrawl
    Options
    It clicked for me when my doctor told me i need to think about weight loss surgery. I was so upset for a long time. I am looking to lose 200 lbs.
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree that it really hasn't "clicked" for me completely but it is motivation to hear your story!! I guess I made a small step today in making my own lunch to bring to work and choosing an apple with PB instead of a big giant cookie in the cafeteria!! Isn't it amazing how much better you feel about yourself with such a "simple" choice??? Why is it so hard to FORGET that feeling when a huge basket of fries is in front of you??

Fries=my weakness. If I can overcome that, I can do anything haha!
  • PurpElle85
    PurpElle85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right!!! One of my biggest challenges has always been ordering take out at work!!!! I used to acutally be the one to "organize" the order (in all of my glory).... and now, people don't know how to react when i tell them that I packed my lunch for the day!!! Because I must say, a lot of those days, I would have a packed lunch, but, being a "people pleaser" if everyone else wanted to eat out.... who was "I" to be the party pooper!!??.... but Now, each day, my will power is growing stronger and stronger!!!!!!!!
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right!!! One of my biggest challenges has always been ordering take out at work!!!! I used to acutally be the one to "organize" the order (in all of my glory).... and now, people don't know how to react when i tell them that I packed my lunch for the day!!! Because I must say, a lot of those days, I would have a packed lunch, but, being a "people pleaser" if everyone else wanted to eat out.... who was "I" to be the party pooper!!??.... but Now, each day, my will power is growing stronger and stronger!!!!!!!!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean!! I work in a hospital and we have a very large cafeteria with any food you could possibly want (most of it bad for you, which is sad that it is IN A HOSPITAL!) haha. If I don't feel like bringing a lunch, I know I can always go there. Well I started to rely on that a little too much... not only is it bad for my waist line, it's bad for my wallet!!
    It takes a lot of will power and strength to be that person that doesn't go along with everyone and eat what is "easiest" or "most convinient", but also understand that you are probably going to set a fantastic example and they will think twice about getting take out when they see how you look :)
    Stick with it!!
  • PurpElle85
    Options
    I'm sorry it had to be a medical reason that it clicked for you, however, now that's more motivation that YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! 200 pounds may seem so farrrrrrrrr away, but when broken up into increments of 10, maybe it won't seem like as big of an obstacle!!! In those challenging moments, just ask yourself is it worth falling off the wagon.....
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    It just clicked for me as I see all the new things I can do, bike hills I never even wanted to walk, do one arm full plank while using weights, run 5 km. The numbers on the scale are of course going down too and helping but for me. I just decided the day after my 39 birthday that I can pick the next 40 years to be the size and shape I want or not I have all the will power in the world I just have to do it. So the next day I just did it. I now know that if I eat very very well no cheating at all for the next say 6 months I will be at my goal weight and then maintain. 6 months are you kidding me how short of time is that six months flies bye I am two months down and almost 20 lbs lighter and feel so impressed everyday I have Z E R O desire to eat one wrong thing to throw off this good thing i have going on.:smile:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    on Day 1
  • PurpElle85
    Options
    When I'm in the store and on a tight budget, if I'm impulsed to buy an item, I ask my self..... COULD I Live without this item???? So when you are tempted to eat those cookies, ask yourself.... is this really worth 30 minutes on the treadmill???? 25 minutes on the elliptical????? 1 hour walking the track???? and if its worth it..... then have at it!!!! :)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It clicked for me when my doctor told me i need to think about weight loss surgery. I was so upset for a long time. I am looking to lose 200 lbs.

^^ ..this.. Only my doctor told me that "Girls like you, the only thing to do is get WLS" .. and that's when I decided, I would do it!
  • PurpElle85
    Options
    That is absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!! Stay motivated!!! The sky is not even the limit!!!!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    When I could run up a flight of stairs, gazelle like, without loosing my breathe for the first time!

Also, when I could touch my toes without bending my knees! I've never been able to do it! Well until now >___<
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I realized I've brought my lunch to work EVERYDAY for the last 3 months...!

It's surprised a lot of people but I hardly realize it now
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Ooooh you mean when we needed to start to loose the weight?

lol misread that one!

When I got out of the shower, saw myself in the mirror and told myself that I didn't want to look like that any more.

I'm not at the end yet, I'm half way there and as you can see from what I said earlier, I'm feeling the benefits now :D
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it's finally clicked for me last night. I am so disgusted with myself. I ate like crap all day. I told myself "I'm definitely back on track tomorrow!" then somehow convinced myself that I could have one last hurrah and wound up eating an ice cream cone and 3 cookies from McDonald's at almost midnight. Ugh.

I think that I'm so mad at myself will help keep me motivated, plus I enlisted some friends to keep me in line.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to work out most days after work, and just have a snack before so I can eat dinner after—it's so much easier for me to make a better dinner choice if I've just done a crazy, sweaty workout!

Anyway, I usually have a Larabar as an energy snack, plus some veggies, before going to work out, because I'm usually hungry after work and need some energy for working out. But one day, I totally ate a bunch of chips that were in the pantry instead—no willpower! I went to work out after, and I felt SO sick.... I could barely muster enough energy to move, and I just felt awful! That's when it clicked for me—if I put the RIGHT stuff in my body, I will feel better!

Even though the chips were yummy at the time, and instant gratification for my craving, I paid for it later—with a bloated tummy, sluggish feelings, and a half-wasted workout I couldn't kick it. Made a resolve then to think about what the consequences will be and what the energy is for—not just my cravings!
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    As soon as I committed to joining the gym. Of course, I allow myself an occasional treat, but I don't overdo it like I used to.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it finally clicked that my eating 1200 a day was far from enough and everytime I've uped my calories I've been dropping weight! Now I eat closer to 1800 and love that!!! The more food I can have the happier I am :)
  • yvilla363
    yvilla363 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday. I looked in my closet and didn't have jack to wear. Everything I tried on I felt uncomfortable in....i went to work and immediately looked for help and support and found this site. Idk why it's clicked this time, I've tried dieting so many other times and eventually gave up. But this time is different....something went off in the ol' noggin. I now have been able to resist all those sweet and salty snacks, making better choices when eating out, not eating until I feel like puking. I drink TONS more water than I ever have (I didn't drink one glass a day before!) It amazes me actually. I CANNOT wait to see my body transform!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It clicks and unclicks all the time :laugh: Usually the thought of how long I'd have to workout to burn those calories keeps me from breaking, on days when that sweet tooth is just screaming I keep hard candy handy, usually one will do the trick while I get dinner cooked. My best successes are NOT having to go to the store after working out, I try to avoid if possible, less opportunities to screw up :laugh: