Question....

Options
New on here and very encouraged by all the stories...pics...and info. My question is...how often should I weigh myself and post progress on the personal pounds ticker?...thank you...:)

Replies

• awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Very good question. Some of us weight ourselves every single day and others do it once a week or once a month. Me, I do it everyday, well mostly everyday. Sometimes I don't even think about it. I usually only post to my weight ticker once a week if there was a change. For some people, not seeing the number go down is very annoying and they feel as though they aren't making any progress. I got over that because my clothes still fit and I have lost lots of inches. I usually base my weightloss on how I feel and how my clothes fit. You will just have to do what is right for you to help you through the journey. Good luck!!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself as often as you would like, but it might drive you absolutely crazy as your weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs or more just in a day. What I do is weigh myself every day I go to the gym, but I try to keep it in the morning after my workout just because that's when I started weighing myself and it keeps it steady. Pick 1 day as your "official" weigh-in day and document that in the MFP tracker. If you try to look at it every day and see if you've lost weight, you'll go up 2 and then down 5 then up 1 and up 2 and down 4 and so on and you might go nuts.

For reference, Monday I weighed 223 and today I weighed 217 so there's a 6lb swing in 2 days. I can tell you that I didn't actually lose 6lbs in 2 days, however my eating habits over the weekend could have made me retain water or a rash of other things could have happened that made those 6lbs disappear. I expect that tomorrow (my official weigh in day) I will be closer to 219/220 which is where I think I'm actually at.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Probably about once a week or less depending on how quickly you are losing weight. People with lots to loose may drop pounds faster and find motivation from the numbers going down. Truthfully, I weigh myself almost every day, first thing in the morning after using the washroom (to off load everything I can - LOL).
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    A couple of times a week at the same time of day (first think in the AM for me). Don't freak out if you gain. Weight will vary due to a number of non-fat related reasons.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really! I usually say go for once a week, same day, first thing in the morning. You'll be able to pick out your general trend easier that way. If the chance of seeing your weight go up and down daily doesn't bother you, then go for daily!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    The ticker will automatically update when you record your weight.