New and Diabetic

Options
Hi everyone. I am new to here and a type II diabetic. I was on Weight Watchers last year and lost 44 pounds. I went off for the holidays and never went back on. I have tried a few times but generaly end up stopping before the week is over. I need to find the right mindset again. My blood sugar is out of control and I have had to up my meds. I can no longer afford weight watchers. I plan to follow those principles and probably will need to count my carbs to help my sugar numbers. I look forward to meeting everyone. I would love to know if anyone else is fighting the same battle.

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am borderline type two. I don't drink my calories. And a typical plate for me looks like 1/2 cup of carb (sweet or starchy) 2 cups of veggies, and 4 ounces of meat. Also I only eat fruit on my cheat day. But I still try to stack my fruit in the same manner.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The South Beach Diet plan is a great one for diabetics. Google it and check out their main website to read about breaking the sugar/carb addiction, and how to choose good carbs/proteins/fats to get your body functioning right again. The only thing is that they don't suggest reducing calories. I would definitely still record everything you eat and track calories, carbs, proteins, fats and sugar grams. There is a way to change the macros for your food diary goals to better match the diabetic diet plan.
    Feel free to add me. My mom battled T2D for several years and I am determined not to end up there myself.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am T2 as well and as of 2 weeks ago, I am off my meds! It IS possible. Not saying its easy, but it can be done. I was in denial for a year and was afraid to even check my sugar. Now I check my fasting sugar once a week just to make sure and its in the low 80's to low 90's. My diary is open and you are free to friend me if you wish. :)