Is corn making us fat?

Options
Farmers feed their animals corn to make them fat…so why is it in everything we eat?

Corn is found in just about every boxed or packaged food as corn oil, corn starch, dextrose corn sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and many derivatives of these names. Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine brought over some chocolate milk and we found “high fructose corn syrup” on the label! Even if you’re not eating processed foods, you could be getting it from farm raised pigs, cows, chickens, fish, etc who are being fed a steady diet of the yellow cob.

It doesn’t come as a surprise that with the increase of corn consumption comes an increase in diseases and obesity.

What do I think?

I agree with this ABC NEWS VIDEO. I tend to think that our over consumption of corn plays a huge role in the boom in obesity, diabetes, heart disease and morbidity.

Take the challenge!

Step 1: Awareness

Go through your pantry and fridge and look at every food label searching for the words listed in the second paragraph of othis article.

Step 2: Watch the ABC NEWS VIDEO

Step 3: Get rid of corn

Stop eating foods that contain corn (in the above mentioned forms) for three weeks and see how you feel. Expect more energy! Record your weight and body fat percentage before and after.

Step 4: Post your results/thoughts in the comments section below

Bonus Challenge:

Check out this LIST OF ITEMS that can be made from corn and get rid of them from your diet completely unless they come from farm fresh fruits, veggies and grass fed/free range meats.

If you want to do more:

Check out this free anti-inflammatory food eating plan.

Check out the active links at http://wellfitlife.me/2012/10/03/take-the-no-corn-challenge/

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This topic is very interesting to me. I have no farm/ranch experience, and I'm no vet, but I'm pretty sure livestock are not supposed to survive on corn alone. Shouldn't they be grazing?

I can't say that corn itself is responsible, I kinda blame the government for the subsidies they put on foods. They should be subsidizing the farmers who make the most nutritious foods, not the cheapest and most high volume.

Curious to see what others have to say.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think pinning obesity on singular food item, or even an entire macronutrient, demonstrates a pretty big lack of consideration for thermodynamics.

EDIT: Corn DID use my manparts for something and it was unpleasant. But that was a while back.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's making me fat because my body can't even seem to digest it. I eat it and it comes back out the next day unchanged. Pics available upon request...
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Corn isn't bad in and of itself. Any sort of sugar is bad news for weight control. Small volume of food, large amount of calories and very little satiety after you eat it.

Livestock should indeed be eating grasses. That's what evolution designed them to eat. What I've heard from some of the farmers around here (Boston MA) is that they feed their cows grass and hay most of their lives then add corn into the mix right before slaughter because it fattens them up and helps marble the meat.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I agree! Down with corn! It's the worst adjunct ever! Barley FTW!
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    From my post:

"I tend to think that our over consumption of corn PLAYS A HUGE ROLE in the boom in obesity, diabetes, heart disease and morbidity."
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's making me fat because my body can't even seem to digest it. I eat it and it comes back out the next day unchanged. Pics available upon request...

Screenshot or it dident happen!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Farmers feed their animals corn to make them fat…so why is it in everything we eat?

Corn is found in just about every boxed or packaged food as corn oil, corn starch, dextrose corn sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and many derivatives of these names. Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine brought over some chocolate milk and we found “high fructose corn syrup” on the label! Even if you’re not eating processed foods, you could be getting it from farm raised pigs, cows, chickens, fish, etc who are being fed a steady diet of the yellow cob.

It doesn’t come as a surprise that with the increase of corn consumption comes an increase in diseases and obesity.

What do I think?

I agree with this ABC NEWS VIDEO. I tend to think that our over consumption of corn plays a huge role in the boom in obesity, diabetes, heart disease and morbidity.

Take the challenge!

Step 1: Awareness

Go through your pantry and fridge and look at every food label searching for the words listed in the second paragraph of othis article.

Step 2: Watch the ABC NEWS VIDEO

Step 3: Get rid of corn

Stop eating foods that contain corn (in the above mentioned forms) for three weeks and see how you feel. Expect more energy! Record your weight and body fat percentage before and after.

Step 4: Post your results/thoughts in the comments section below

Bonus Challenge:

Check out this LIST OF ITEMS that can be made from corn and get rid of them from your diet completely unless they come from farm fresh fruits, veggies and grass fed/free range meats.

If you want to do more:

Check out this free anti-inflammatory food eating plan.

Check out the active links at http://wellfitlife.me/2012/10/03/take-the-no-corn-challenge/

It's not the consumption, it's the over consumption. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, thanks though.

Besides... I thought sugar was evil. or was it carbs? or eating after 6? or TOM? Or maybe the wrong running shoes?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I think pinning obesity on singular food item, or even an entire macronutrient, demonstrates a pretty big lack of consideration for thermodynamics.

EDIT: Corn DID use my manparts for something and it was unpleasant. But that was a while back.

I remember that....i remember that incident you had with Corn....

and yes....I agree with SS's assessment of pinning everything on a single food item. There's too many variables to consider to point to one thing and say...you...you are the sole culprit of everything.

That's just too simplistic for my world view in my opinion.

Lauren
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    From my post:

"I tend to think that our over consumption of corn PLAYS A HUGE ROLE in the boom in obesity, diabetes, heart disease and morbidity."

Even when I eat lots of it it still comes out whole. Just more of it....
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I only eat corn in the form of high fructose corn syrup
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    But corn cobs are the perfect shape?!?!?
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    But corn cobs are the perfect shape?!?!?
    nm....
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I agree! Down with corn! It's the worst adjunct ever! Barley FTW!

YES!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    From my post:

Sure, I get that you're not saying it's the ONLY cause. I still think the premise is ridiculous as is just about any premise that places an over-emphasis on any singular food item as being the cause for obesity.

Chronic energy surplus has and will always make people fat, regardless of food choice.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    From my post:

That's like saying our overconsumption of processed meats or milk, or any other food plays a huge role. The key phrase is OVER CONSUMPTION.

Also, if you're eating that much processed food, you probably don't care about your weight anyway. There's no corn in my broccoli, potatoes, chicken, steak, eggs, etc.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    KoЯn makes me happy..and mad..and excited...and stabby....not fat!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljnyu5HR3p1qzmowao1_500.gif
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I like corn but do have to agree that you find corn products in too many processed foods. That's one of the reasons why I have slowly been reducing the amount of processed food that I eat. It's hard to live without the convenience of some items but others you don't even notice when they're gone.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    [redacted]
    I tend to think that our over consumption [redacted] plays a huge role in the boom in obesity, diabetes, heart disease and morbidity.
    [redacted]

Fixed it for you there.